Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First Foray into High Key
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: First Foray into High Key Reply with quote

I tried (by accident, I admit) some high key photography this weekend. Pentax H3V, Kodak Vision 3 250D (developed in D-76, as described below.) The lenses and aperture settings are listed by the image. These were an accident, but I want to know if these are on track as suitable high key subjects and how they could be improved.

Notes:
1- I did a couple versions of this. This was the lowest-contrast and I felt the better of the two.
2- When I edited these, I liked the frame on this one (which I usually don't) and felt it lacked something left naked. I'm not married to that idea.
3- My least favorite of the images, but also the most starkly different, so I wanted to include it to provide a different chance for commentary.

All of these were scanned in no-thumbnail mode because the scanner couldn't detect them when I asked for a thumbnail. I edited the first to draw out the tree's details a bit, but basically left the others alone (no auto contrast, just an unsharp mask at 15%, 20 pixel radius, which suitably removes modest softness without overdoing it.)

For the film, I develop my 250 D (and other color motion picture stock) in D-76. After the initial minute-long rotation, I place the developing can (this works best with metal cans) under a slow hot (no mixing it with cold) water stream between agitations for the following 3 minutes. The hot water flow is about a pencil's width at the spigot. The hot water heats up the developer about 8 or 10 degrees. After 8-9 minutes of total developing time, the film's typically got pretty good tones and contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 would win a lot from PP
Could you upload it in high resolution?

I personally don't like the other two

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome stuff which really hits my taste !
love the compositions, also when they seem weird at first glance.
at second glace it seems all in balance Wink

my fave is #2 !

I am not sure yet if I like the tiny little vignette Wink

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about "high key" but I do like the 2nd one the most, and the first if there was a little more detail in the tree....I say this just how I see it not from a technical point of view.I think this style is something worth pursuing and mastering.

The first one just says to me "Bonsai tree" Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments! I'm trying to expand my work so it's not all just Panoramio-type images.

@, Forenseil, I'll try and get the high-res uploaded somewhere. Maybe Flickr?

@Tobias, I can try it without the border. The black frame is unexposed negative. I had to scan this as part of the negative instead of automatically as a thumbnail due to how thick the negative is. It's an easy mod I'll do tonight to get try it out without a border.

@Mo, The original scan actually had a lot less detail in the tree. During post processing I copied the image as a second layer and dropped the gamma to about 30. Then I used a brush eraser to remove most everything except the tree (the sky got dark and speckled from the exposure change.) I set the tree layer's transparency to 60% or thereabouts and the detail in the bark came out in much greater relief than it had.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask and ye shall receive:

And the high-res tree:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david754/7898149412/in/photostream

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly can see the details in the High res image!..... It does look a lot better.Thanks for taking the time to post the link.