Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First film through my new camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: First film through my new camera Reply with quote

These shots are from the very first film I put through my sparkling new Praktica PLC2... when I got it in October 1976.

This is actually the first time I've seen these at full size (rather than contacts) because back in those days it was a choice between prints or beer and being a student ....

The PLC2 was the first brand new camera I ever got. Prior to this I was using a point and shoot box.

The film is almost certainly Ilford HP5, I only shot with HP5 or FP4 back then. The lens ... well, it might be a Pancolor 50/1.8 Electric, but I've long since forgotten. It came in the box.

In my first shot, two other Pauls pay homage to my new acquisition. My friend on the right introduced me to SLR photography (and to the Pentacon Six):

Next thing (still with the first film) I headed down to the Student's Union and tried out my wonderful new toy on a band who were playing that night. I don't know who they were, they seem to have been signed to Sun Records, going by their drumskin, and the word Hel.....er is in the bottom of it - Hellraiser, possibly. Was there a group called that?

God, we had some fun back then! There's nothing quite like being 21 and
surrounded by friends, all believing we can build a better world. In the end we built a richer one with more consumer goods in everybody's homes. I'm not sure it is better, but I suppose that deep down it's what we all wanted.

Hmmm ... I've pushed the contrast far too much, haven't I?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Paul. I believe HP5 is a good film for this kind of shots, grain and tonality look very appealing.
Quote:
There's nothing quite like being 21 and
surrounded by friends, all believing we can build a better world

I think so, too. Smile

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh those hairstyles and beards in the first picture took me back to teens times instantly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Gosh those hairstyles and beards in the first picture took me back to teens times instantly.

Yes, and do you remember how the girls used to be so wonderfully demure?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yes, and do you remember how the girls used to be so wonderfully demure?

Really? My girl mates at junior high and high school rarely dressed like that, except for two of them who were daughters of a farmer and obviously very old fashioned. For most girls then it was blue jeans pants, nearly all the time. I actually remember that I seldom saw my girl mates wearing skirts at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was kidding - and I happened to have that photo to hand. Jane was a rather conservative girl. I think most of the girls at university wore skirts a lot of the time - anything from flower-power wrap to sensible tweed - but jeans were definitely in, too. It was a long time ago (unfortunately) and the details are a bit dim in my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice back in time post... that first pic. So vintage in the good term ^.^

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more student haircuts of the 70s... I'm not even sure who these guys were.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Paul. How many of those people are you still in contact with and how many names can you remember?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one, the first shot is perfect! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jeez, those haircuts.
Fair takes me back that does, to many nights spent in the SU bar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Oh jeez, those haircuts.
Fair takes me back that does, to many nights spent in the SU bar.

Yeah, I was the one under the table. That's why I can't remember these guys. They were probably the ones on the course I was meant to be studying!

BTW, the haircuts are one thing, but you should also pay attention to the nice jumpers their mums knitted. I've a strong suspicion that you won't be seeing that sort of thing today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see this type of photos, I always stop and think about how lives cross and take directions...what has happened to these guys? What has happened to my school mates. There could be so many stories to tell.
With the conscience however that past times can not go back. I always refused to go to class reunions when they made them. I prefer to keep the memories untouched. Many don't understand this. Some probably have thought bad of my decision. But I stand by it.
I saw a very good movie many years ago, it was called The Seacaucus Seven, don't know how many of you might have seen it as it wasn't a mainstream, it was an independent release.
That movie described to situation and feelings of such a reunion much better than anything similar I have seen or read.