Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First few images with Nikon 50-135mm f/3.5 Ai-S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: First few images with Nikon 50-135mm f/3.5 Ai-S Reply with quote

I was looking for a zoom lens in the 35-105 or 35-135mm range that I could mount on a Nikon DSLR. HansMoleman recommended this one (whose existence I wasn't even aware of).

Here are the first few images taken with the lens, all with a Nikon D700, all wide open (f/3.5) except the tree (f/5.6). This was about an hour before sunset; light conditions were bad (I was in a back alley), so most photos were shot at ISO 800 at slow shutter speeds. No tripod, so everything handheld.

I'll have to get out again when the light is better to see how the lens sharpens up when closed down.

5. Blurry (there was a light breeze)

Last edited by invisible on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for a zoom wide open. Good find.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images 👍

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good.
Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for taking a look.

Today I visited a cemetery to try the lens at smaller apertures. Once again, the light was limited because I started shooting right before sunset. All images shot with at f/5.6, ISO between 200 and 1250, with the help of a monopod.

No complaints about this lens so far Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleasing images indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting focal range. the 70-150mm range is more common for 35mm (for aps-c 50-135mm is a portrait zoom). There is a Kilfitt Zoomar 50-125mm F4 (over priced I think) and a SMC Pentax/Takumar 45-125mm F4 (Hidden gem). Great Autumn colours. It is just starting out over here. Autumn is late this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. It is a surprising lens IMO. Now all you need is a 25-50 f4.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the range you are looking for try the Tamron 40A.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMoleman wrote:
Nice shots. It is a surprising lens IMO. Now all you need is a 25-50 f4.

Thank you. I'm actually pairing this 50-135 with the AF Tamron 20-40. With the two lenses I'm all set for when I want to go light. (A pair of super-solid alternatives to the 25-50 f/4 are the Tamron 24-48 and the Vivitar 24-48.)

I did consider the Tamron 40A, but this Nikon won me over as soon as I read this article: https://www.678vintagecameras.ca/blog/lens-profile-the-zoom-nikkor-50-135mm-f35-ai-s

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of curious of how you are focusing with the D-700.
Are you using a monopod and live view?

Very nice images.
There may be a D-700 in my near future if things work out the way I'm hoping.
For the un-aware, the D-700 was Nikon's second produced full frame camera.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information. If the zoom begins to slide when the camera isn't level there's a felt gasket/ring inside that is worn and needs replacement. Replaced mine and back to steady. Feel is improved too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

I don't use live view all that much, and when I do the camera is on a tripod. Never on a monopod. (My batteries are over 10 years old and live view consumes quite a bit of juice, which is why I use it sparingly. If you're going to buy a D700 and plan to use live view often, then maybe make sure you get new batteries too. Truly new batteries, not just used batteries whose charge shows as new.)

HansMoleman wrote:
Just for your information. If the zoom begins to slide when the camera isn't level there's a felt gasket/ring inside that is worn and needs replacement. Replaced mine and back to steady. Feel is improved too.

No zoom creep on my copy, luckily Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

I don't use live view all that much, and when I do the camera is on a tripod. Never on a monopod. (My batteries are over 10 years old and live view consumes quite a bit of juice, which is why I use it sparingly. If you're going to buy a D700 and plan to use live view often, then maybe make sure you get new batteries too. Truly new batteries, not just used batteries whose charge shows as new.

Thanks for the reply. My D-200 takes the same battery. It took a while for the battery technology to catch up to the improved cameras.
How reliable is the focus confirmation system with m/f lenses? I find myself focusing off the ground glass an awful lot- the confirmation light is at odds at times with what I see on the ground glass....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens is "chipped" and focus confirmation is OK. I use the ground glass as well but look at the dot to see if they coincide w/my sight. It does very from camera to camera. My F5 can be dodgy in low contrast situations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

Pleasing results on this Nikkor zoom.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images, invisible! I've owned a couple of the 50-135mm and found them to be fun lenses. I sold them only because I wasn't using them as much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
How reliable is the focus confirmation system with m/f lenses? I find myself focusing off the ground glass an awful lot- the confirmation light is at odds at times with what I see on the ground glass....

I find the focus confirmation system to be pretty reliable, even with third-party lenses. There were a couple lenses with which the system wasn't as reliable, but these were the exceptions not the rule. I can't remember what lenses these were, I sold them long ago (my lenses are a constantly rotating cast).