Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first experience with Konica lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: first experience with Konica lenses Reply with quote

Hello at all,

I found two konica lenses 3.5/28 (late 5-elemt version) and 1.4/50 (early version) including an AR/Nex Adapter for a resonable price.
Today I had the chance to test and compare them to my Pentax lenses.

The 3.5/28 is for sure a good lens, its sharp in the center allready wide open, it`s small and ligth.
But even stopped down the lens does not get as sharp as the SMC Pentax 3.5/28 especially in the corners.
It shows more cromatic aberrations than the Pentax. In terms of contrast I would rate them equal.
All together the Pentax is a better but much bigger and heavier lens so on my nex the konica feels just right.

The 1.4/50 seems to be very sharp, wide open and especially @ F1.7.
It delivers a nice Bokeh and shows a surprisingly low amount of CA.
I really like it. For me I think it will be a keeper.
The only downside of this lens is it`s mechanical condition.
The focussing ring seems to be a tiny bit loose which I really dislike.
Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Timo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1.4 is a lovely lens to use, I've been through quite a few 50mm lenses (cheap ones) and this is the only one I have kept so far!

I did a tear down of this lens about a year ago so I can sort of remember the construction, what I want ask is the play on the focus ring is it forward and back or is it side to side?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: first experience with Konica lenses Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:

The 3.5/28 is for sure a good lens, its sharp in the center allready wide open, it`s small and ligth.
But even stopped down the lens does not get as sharp as the SMC Pentax 3.5/28 especially in the corners.
It shows more cromatic aberrations than the Pentax. In terms of contrast I would rate them equal.
All together the Pentax is a better but much bigger and heavier lens so on my nex the konica feels just right.

try to get a late 7-elemant version (AE and F16).. this one should be visible better

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wobbles side to side. The filter thread was also loose I could fixed it and found a single little screw laying behind the lable ring.

I think there are some screws missing or loose so the inner barrel is not firmly connected to the focussing grip.
Unfortunately I don`t have a spanner wrench so I will not be able to dismantle the lens further.

Timo

Last edited by timo832000 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I took the two konicas out for a real world test.

I think the final images look just fine.

Bigge- See near Olpe, Germany.

Hexanon 3.5/28 @F8:

Hexanon 1.4/50 @ F8

Both images are edited in PS CS5 colors are not equal because of different WB and different PP.

Timo

Last edited by timo832000 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tedat:

Isn`t the seven element version bigger than the one with five? - So for me their would be no benefit over my Pentax 3.5/28.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need to remove the front retainer ring to get to the part you need too, I think the play may be coming from the brass ring on the inner part of the lens! its quite a mission to get to as you will have to dismantle most of the lens to tighten the three screes that hold the retainer ring in place!

this isn't an easy lens to work on compared to other primes, one tip of advice from me would be to be very careful when removing and putting back the aperture ring, it screws into place and has super fine threading.

I got some grit stuck into mine and almost destroyed the lens getting it off again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a great lens, I really love using it:) quite a strong glow at 1.4 which has its uses but superb from 1.7 onwards (assuming you have the version with half click aperture settings)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexanons are great still one the best buys, even expensive ones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hexanons are great still one the best buys, even expensive ones.

+1 even though I only have the cheaper options I would imagine the higher end ones are worth every cent.

the only one I would avoid is the 40mm pancake, I've seen very good shots online using this lens but I'm not a huge fan and I've been through 3 of them thinking I had a bad copy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought the Sony A7 I thought that I would exclusively use my C/Y contaxes, but to my surprise I more or less constantly use my Hexanons. Preferably in order of most use 35 2.8 (AE with half-clicks and f16), 85 1.8 (half-clicks EE) and the 50 1.7.

They feel great and they render great with the Sony.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I used the Hexanon 1.4/50 to take some potraits.

I really have to say I love this lens.
It is not super sharp, I believe my Summicron 50 and my SMC Pentax M 1.7/50 maybe sharper, it`s not as contrasty as the Summicron.
But @ F2 It produces very nice images, with very low CA, a smooth Bokeh and some really nice POP.
Color rendition especially of skin tones is very fine.

Finally I decited to keep lens .
Tommorow I will email Mr. Olbrich if he is willing to repair this lens for me so it will be in perfekt condition again.

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had to fix (relube) one of my 50/1.4 Hexanons,but now it serves me perfectly.

The differnece in IQ between 7 and 5 lenser 28/3.5 on the A7 is visible,but not striking (less corner smearnig and better corner sharpness - I got both),so you may be happy with your's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
@ Tedat:

Isn`t the seven element version bigger than the one with five? - So for me their would be no benefit over my Pentax 3.5/28.

it's 6mm longer and 15g heavier.. so it's like you put a filter on your version

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I allready own two very good 28s I decited to sell the 3.5/28.

The 1.4/50 will stay, thats for sure.
Today I sent it to Fotoservice Olbrich.

Timo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one last shot from yesterday with the Hexanon AR 1.4/50 before it was shipped to Fotoservice Olbrich.

Lotta sitting near my Desk. @F1.7

Can`t wait to have it back in my hands.

Timo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be a fairly cheap fix, just adding two more screws and tightening them. I had the same exact problem with my Konica 85/1.8; the focusing ring had some play (nothing happened during the first few millimeters of turning). Removing the name ring (I have the right tools, fortunately) and tightening the three screws fixed it. Good luck with your Konica lenses, they are truly good value for money!