Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first bugs with vivitar (kiron) 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: first bugs with vivitar (kiron) 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro Reply with quote

I haven't had much time for photography since getting this lens, but I've been carrying the lens mounted on the nex everywhere, and luckily in the past days I met some bugs.
I'm not a macro shooter, and all the shots are casual - no tripod, natural lighting etc. - but I feel the lens behaved pretty well even in such not so favorable conditions.
It looks really sharp to me: I'll wait for a more serious and fair (for the lens) test, but so far it seems great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
very nice, congrats!

Thanks Klaus.
The lens seems really good - especially considering what I paid for it - so now it's time to improve my technique.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more from today:

DSC04534 by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

DSC04539 by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

DSC04538 by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Very nice work!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work on nailing the focus, tricky with a 1:1 marco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
Good work on nailing the focus, tricky with a 1:1 marco

Thanks.
the last ones of the caleopteryx are at a lower magnification ratio than the spiders - between 1:2 and 1:4, while the spiders where at more than 1:2. Also, the fact that it was sunny with no wind when I took the second batch, helped a lot: I could both close the aperture and use faster shutter speeds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kiron version of this lens (100/2.8 1:1 Macro). Is this the same lens optically and mechanically or are there differences other than printings and etchings on the barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I have the Kiron version of this lens (100/2.8 1:1 Macro). Is this the same lens optically and mechanically or are there differences other than printings and etchings on the barrel?

No idea, I read in various places that it's the same optically as the kiron/Lester dine 105/2.8, and actually it's quite similar in physical appearance, that's the reason why I decided to invest the euro 40 plus shipping that the seller was asking, but I've never seen the a kiron 100 f2.8, so I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 Quid plus shipping? Whoa, what a steal! Congrats. Yes, Kiron, Lester Dine, and this Vivitar macro is optically the same lens. Kiron is labelled 105mm, 100mm must be a typo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
40 Quid plus shipping? Whoa, what a steal! Congrats. Yes, Kiron, Lester Dine, and this Vivitar macro is optically the same lens. Kiron is labelled 105mm, 100mm must be a typo.

I picked up the Kiron version in a lot of Yashica cameras (unlabeled I recognized the lens from research). As near as I can tell all three are the same lens with minor labelling differences only.

Oh, and LOVELY macro photos. I am a bit jealous.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

Yes, the seller was a bit worried because the shape of the aperture stopped down was slightly uneven. It actually is, very slightly, by f22, so no big deal.

jamaeolus wrote:
fermy wrote:

I picked up the Kiron version in a lot of Yashica cameras (unlabeled I recognized the lens from research). As near as I can tell all three are the same lens with minor labelling differences only.

Oh, and LOVELY macro photos. I am a bit jealous.

Thanks!
IIRC, it should also be available as Vivitar series 1 2.5/105 - and actually it looks the same except the rubber grip and some other minor finishing differences - and also as a Rikenon and Rolleinar, but I've never seen any of those.