Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First attempt at macro (Volna-9 & Macro-Elmarit-R 60)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: First attempt at macro (Volna-9 & Macro-Elmarit-R 60) Reply with quote

Recently I got a remote shutter, and this weekend finally found a small portable tripod that I liked.

Any suggestions to get better results are appreciated Idea

Improvized something to hold the paper (an egg slicer Laughing ), 3.1 second shutter, ISO 800.

Lens is (allegedly) a never used Volna-9 from ebay. Judging from condition, I am inclined to believe this.

Last edited by Sjak on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wanted to check the difference with my Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm.

For walkaround-purposes, the Volna certainy wins, smaller lighter, and even the handling is not bad at all even compared to a Leica.

The Leica does however go to 1:1 with the included extension ring, and is about 15 years older. Got it in impeccable condition for a fair price, initially for shooting flowers and bugs, but as it happens with Leica-R-lenses, I found it just a bit too bulky for that purpose.

#1: Volna-9

#2 Marco-Elmarit-R 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #2 lighting -- texture is revealed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in all the fiddling with everything, I forgot to re-adjust the white balance and exposure (left them at yesterday's setting) when I played with the Volna. The detail is mostly still there, but indeed too subdued.

At #2, WB is adjusted to highlight the blue and EV set to 0 (light is the same, but a 13-sec exposure)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot something else. Go 3D.
A flower bud, a leaf, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot something with volume is a good recommendation, thanks! I will find something else to shoot. Now is not the time of year for flowers, but I will find something else...

Below was my first experience with f/2.8 being really too wide open with the Elmarit.... only the eyes were in focus... but during summer did not play much with it, as this lens is too cumbersome to carry with me on city-walks and trips with the bicycle (In both situations, I prefer more discrete lenses)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Shoot something else. Go 3D.
I played around a little more yesterday evening, but found out the lighting is more challenging with subject matter that is not totally flat (with 2D-objects, it is only a matter of extending esposure time)

This will need practice and trial-and-error Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you using ISO 800, if you use a tripod?
or did you make these without tripod and just got one?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!

I did use the tripod+remote. But I was a bit impatient (shutter time would be much longer at lower ISO, and the Fuji performs very decently up to at least 1600)

Is there any recommendation for ISO-setting in this type of imaging?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
56 DIN wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!

I did use the tripod+remote. But I was a bit impatient (shutter time would be much longer at lower ISO, and the Fuji performs very decently up to at least 1600)

Is there any recommendation for ISO-setting in this type of imaging?

Lower uses less amplification, resulting in lower noise, however shutter speed is more important for faster moving subject.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight, with a little more patience, tried with coins. After some digging in my travel-souvenirs, I finally found a coin that actually fits within the (near-) 1:1 frame of the Leica Smile
ISO 200, 30 sec shutter speed, and then another 30 sec for the long exposure noise compensation Surprised at least winter will pass quickly this way Laughing Laughing

The Elmarit really impresses me with the level of detail it reveals, and this for a 44 year old lens. The coin is less than 2cm in diameter.

Tried a few objects that are "more 3D" but I need to add some more directional light for creating shadows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, I also received a new package from Ukraine, including an Industar 61 LZ MC 50mm f/2.8.

First impression: it is not at the level of the Volna&Leica re. build quality and general feel, but it is more compact, and significantly lighter than both, which is a big advantage if the lens is added to a travel-kit.

Still need to test how I like the rendering. It does have the star-shaped aperture between approx. 4-8, just like the Volna Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lower ISO leads to less noise as already said above, but it as well leads to better colours and contrast
doing reproduction like images, I always use the lowest available ISO on a cam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Tonight, with a little more patience, tried with coins. After some digging in my travel-souvenirs, I finally found a coin that actually fits within the (near-) 1:1 frame of the Leica Smile
ISO 200, 30 sec shutter speed, and then another 30 sec for the long exposure noise compensation Surprised at least winter will pass quickly this way Laughing Laughing

The Elmarit really impresses me with the level of detail it reveals, and this for a 44 year old lens. The coin is less than 2cm in diameter.

Tried a few objects that are "more 3D" but I need to add some more directional light for creating shadows.

I don't get it here: 30 seconds exposure or 1/30?
Because if it's 30 seconds then something is awfully wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 seconds, not 1/30

Combination of low light (especially with the coin being partially in the shadow of the lens/camera, and the coin reflecting the black cam/lens combo), low ISO and small aperture. If I close the aperture even further, I have to switch to bulb mode, as (partial) auto-exposure only goes to 30 seconds.

Right now, there's not much I can do about the light in the evening, except adding a small spotlight, but didnt have time yet to experiment with that.
Aperture wider than 8.0 gives a too shallow depth of field.
I can increase the ISO though.

Other suggestions are of course welcome Idea
Probably I'm missing something very basic in my enthousiasm Embarassed