Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First (and second) role of HP5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: First (and second) role of HP5 Reply with quote

This forum has really inspired me to try developing film myself. I remember doing this almost 20 years ago in school so this was both exciting and a trip down memory lane. The first two is Flektogon the other are a 20mm Minolta AF lens wide open as the camera has a broken aperture mechanism.

What are the cause of the white specs on this ^ picture above?

Now I just need a working camera and some more B&W film Smile Plan is to try Rollei Retro 80s and 400s and perhaps a third iso 100 film.

Last edited by lauge on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results! White specks are dust on the negative when scanning.
What was used to develop the HP5+?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile ID-11 was used at 24C as it is too hot at the moment to get a steady temperature below that, don't know the difference in result between temperatures. I don't own a scanner so used my DSLR and the Kiron to digitalise them, I have seen dia duplicators on eBay and if one shows up in here or in a store I think I will buy that instead of a scanner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs might also be the result of dirt in the water used for the development and/or washing
(dirt deposits on the film thus preventing the chemical to reach the sensitive surface in that point).
If this is the case, you should use demineralized water for the process
(that is what I have to do also, since the water in my area is very calcareous).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, water in my area is also very calcareous so will try demineralized water next time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second role turned out a bit more complicated. This was shot with Spotmatic at ISO 200 which seemed to work great, but I had one problem; this showed up on the first half of the film like the edges was exposed to light, have you experienced this? I'm ruling out the camera since it's not consistent and then it's either an accident during developing or a bad film?

(never mind the focus, this was a handheld setup not a scan)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sure looks like light leaks, but if you feel confident it isn't the camera, then it has to be something that happened either during the handling of the film as it was being transferred onto the tank reel or the developing process. Don't see how it would have been handling offhand, since it's just on the edges. About the only thing I can think of would possibly be uneven or inconsistent agitation.

You might try posting this query over at apug.org. That site is dedicated to the use of film and film cameras. When I've had questions about strange goings on with my B&W negs, I got accurate and thoughtful answers from the folks there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fogging at the edges like this is consistent with light contamination during loading of the reel. One of my changing bags is fairly loose on one of the elasticated sleeves, and when I'm not careful, I can get this result. Light leak in a camera usually runs right across from one edge to the other. You sometimes get a similar edge fogging effect with 120 film that has not been wound tightly enough on to the take-up spool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked over at apug and two suggested that similar results shows up when loading the film into the camera in too light condition and I remember loading the film outside in very bright sunshine so that might be it.