Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

firmware update for Canon dslr
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: firmware update for Canon dslr Reply with quote

IM TRYING TO UPDATE FIRMWARE ON MY CANON DSLR, I FOLLOW CANON'S INSTRUCTIONS AND DOWNLOAD, BUT TRYING TO OPEN IT IS PROVING RATHER A NON STARTER AS THE DOWNLOAD GOES STRAIGHT TO MY ELEMENTS 11 AND CANNOT BE OPENED. HELP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why shout at us???

Did you ask Canon service?

Did you ask your dealer?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev.. deep breath, caps lock OFF and start at the beginning.. Wink

What model of camera?

Can you give a link to the instructions you are following?

Can you give a link to the firmware download page

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the caps..
camera is a canon 30d and using canons own website i have downloaded numerous times the latest firmware 1.0.6 for this camera. None of the programs that I have on my PC or on my laptop will open it, says "windows cannot open this file", its canons own .FIR file, so guess my camera will have to do without it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the world would you like to open up a firmware file??? Look at compiled source code in machine language??
Just download that software to your camera as per Canon's instruction (place on freshly formatted SD card yada yada)
and USE it there...and be happy Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is Windows trys to open it but can't?

can you execute the exe-file?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only DOWNLOAD that file (sometimes have to unpack/unzip it), copy / paste that firmware file then to a fresh SD card in the right folder, plug it into the camera and follow the camera specific update process - that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what's said above is roughly correct..

The full instructions are here..

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos30d/eos30d_firmware-e.html

Download, unpack, transfer to freshly formatted CF card (always format in camera, never in PC or card reader), etc., etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it now.....thanks for your help