Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Finally found Contax Planar 50mm f1.7 with 8XXXXXX serial
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aoleg,

I believe your Hypothesis, (b), sounds highly likely. All of my purchase decisions about which Planar 50mm f1.7 to buy were based on the belief of an "MM" conversion at around the 69xxxxx serial number. Yours and AhamB's posts has caused to me rethink that belief. I don't know if that belief is true , maybe, maybe not. However, I will keep reading more info. wherever I can find it to get a much better understanding of when this "MM" conversion process actually took place. I still question that Planar that has been mentioned, but I will "leave that one alone". BTW, I have sold the Planar that I have went on and on about in this topic for an Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2.0 SLI, the one with the silver metal focusing ring. I do this alot, when I see a hard to find lens that I really wanted I would sacrifice one I already had to purchase it, and repurchase the lens I had sold at a later date, hince the reason I have had 5 Planar 50mm f1.7's. I will post pictures when it arrives. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleach551 wrote:
AhamB,

where did you see , or see stated that it had a "green" 16? The only things I see, or that makes me beleive it could be an MMJ, is that says it is a "MMJ" and it has the silver and black mount, which I stated my Planar with the 67xxxxx serial # had and it was an "AE" with a "white" 16.

The pictures do not show the aperture ring but focus on the condition of the lenses, but the seller told me that it had a green f/16 and I trust him. Here's the lens in question: http://forum.mflenses.com/sold-carl-zeiss-planar-t-50mm-f-1-7-mmj-contax-yashica-t30043.html

It's a silver/black mount. I was tempted to buy it, but have already planned other lens purchases. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB,

I apologize If those comments came across as rude. I looked at them recently again and realized that they could have been seen that way. It was a bad day when I made those comment. I had recently sold a lens on Ebay, a Distagon 28mm f2.8, in order to buy another lens, A Planar 50mm F1.4. Upon checking my Paypal account , It showed that the funds from that transaction had been placed on "hold" for up to 21 days!! for some reason. I have a %100 feedback rating and have had no cases or returns. Apparently It is some new policy with Paypal, and A lot of other good ebayers have had the same problem recently. So a word of caution to anyone going to or currently selling ebay, this could potentially happen to you.

I sold My Planar 50mm f1.7 for the Voigtlander ultron 40mm f2.0 as I mentioned in a previuos post. I will buy a Planar 50mm F1.4 once my paypal funds have been released. A friend let me try his and the bokeh was similiar to that of my favorite lens , the Planar 85mm f1.4 MMJ.
Although in reviews and forums all over the internet, which declare the the F1.7 sharper, the planar 50mm f1.4 I used looked as sharp, with better contrast, saturation, and better bokeh than the Planar 50mm f1.7 I had and sold. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleach551 wrote:
AhamB,

I apologize If those comments came across as rude.

Not at all, I didn't read any rudeness in your comments.

Thanks for your other comments too. I was at first considering to buy a Planar 50/1.4 because I've seen so many exceptional images made with that. The same qualities are ascribed to the 50/1.7 but I haven't seen too many images made with that... maybe I should go for a 50/1.4 after all. Smile

How about the Distagon 28/2.8? You didn't like it? 28mm is one of my favorite FL's and I was also thinking to buy this Contax.

One last question: may I ask which adapter(s) you use (I assume you shoot Canon)? I have a cheap one from Roxsen and it's way too thin. Thinking about getting a HappypageHK now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB,

I am glad you didn't take those comments the wrong way. I did like the images from the Distagon, but once you use The Planar 85mm F1.4 and Planar 50mm f1.7 with such shallow depth of field, the Distagon"s bokeh just didn't give me that same "joy" and "pleasure" to use. I think If I didn't own the Planar 85mm F1.4, the Planar 50mm f1.7, that I recently sold, and the Helios 58mm f2.0 I would have "loved" the Distagon. One of the reasons I sold the Distagon 28mm f2.8 was to buy a Planar 50mm f1.4, which seemed to have the same bokeh as my Planar 85mm f1.4 with a wider FOV. I think you would love the Planar f1.4 much better than the Planar 1.7 as I do. The Distagon just seemed like the "redheaded Stepchild" to all of my other lenses. No offense to redheaded stepchildren". Very Happy

BTW, I used the Fotodiox C/Y to Eos Adapter. I just don't think it makes much difference with the crop sensor cameras like the 7D, 1.6X crop. I think it is more critical with the canon 5D MKII , which has "clearance"
issues with some Contax Lenses, one being the Planar 50mm f1.7. I too was thinking of purchasing the HappyHK adapter, because of its excellent reviews by most 5D MKII owners. but the Fotodiox gave me a very"tight" fit for my lenses, and execellent sharpness corner to corner for only $22 US.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now that you have a 7D... I have a 5D so 28mm has a more interesting FoV then. Wink

Btw, another pre 69xxxxx MM lens: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB,

Thanks for the Link. I was looking at these two:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160453457517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130407008671&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I Was going to buy the first one with the money from the sell Of the Distagon, But Paypal has put a hold on those funds until a Maximum of 21 days!! or until the buyer of the lens leaves positive feedback. It some kind of new policy at Paypal now, I have a %100 feedback score and no returns or cases against me and 35 feedbacks. I have heard of Ebayers with 440 feedbacks with a %100 feedback score having this problem as well. Go Figure? Confused

PS. The happyhk adapter might be a better choice than the Fotodiox for the 5D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look really good.

That paypal/ebay situation really sucks. The buyer of your distagon probably is still waiting to receive the lens -- otherwise you could just ask him to provide feedback?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my planar 85mm F1.4 MMj with an 84xxxxx serial # from the first links seller for $568 US and the lens was in Mint++/Like New condition. If your ever want to find the best quality contax zeiss lenses for the best price on Ebay, you have to get it from him.

The ebay thing sucks big time!! The buyer of the lens , fortunately he lives in the US, and the Priority Mail shipping option will take only 2-3 days for him to get it. That should be Monday. So hopefully my funds will be released then. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB,

I almost forgot to give you a link to some videos I made with the Canon 7D Planar 85mm f1.4 and Planar 50mm f1.7 combo:

http://www.vimeo.com/12963927

Links to photos taken with contax Planar 50mm f1.4, there may be some new Zeiss 50mm 1.4 photos mixed in also.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=planar+50mm+f1.4&m=text#page=19

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMJ at 6643xxx serial Click here to see on Ebay.
6642xxx is AEJ: http://slrlensreview.com/web/carl-zeiss-slr-lenses-51/telephoto-slr-lenses-95/677-carl-zeiss-sonnar-t-100mm-f35-cy-lens-review.html

It keeps intriguing me. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleach551 wrote:
A friend let me try his and the bokeh was similar to that of my favorite lens , the Planar 85mm f1.4 MMJ.

From what I saw and read these lenses have completely different bokeh (if bokeh of such a different FL can be compared at all). While the bokeh of 85mm is creamy and very pleasant, the bokeh of 50mm is rather harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
bleach551 wrote:
A friend let me try his and the bokeh was similar to that of my favorite lens , the Planar 85mm f1.4 MMJ.

From what I saw and read these lenses have completely different bokeh (if bokeh of such a different FL can be compared at all). While the bokeh of 85mm is creamy and very pleasant, the bokeh of 50mm is rather harsh.

Well I guess it depends how far you stop down Smile I think some versions of the 85/1.4 have ninja blades which create a very unique bokeh - depends on your preference. Personally, I love the 50/1.4's bokeh, it's fantastic..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Well I guess it depends how far you stop down Smile

Yes, you are right, I had to clarify that I am talking about fully opened apertures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G and dimitrygo,

What I meant by similar is that the Planar 85mm f1.4 and the Planar 50mm f1.4, of my friend, had a similar "Planar" bokeh relative to their respective focal lenghts. I had the Planar 85mm f1.4 MMJ with serial 84XXXXX. "I believe" the Ninja star trait was associated with the "AE's". I was looking for a 50mm lens that had a similiar bokeh at around f2.0 to f2.8 in that range, the two copies I had looked similar. I hardly ever use my Planar 85mm f1.4 at a F-stop stopped down below f2.8 and the same went for the Planar 50 mm f1.7 I had and the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2.0 SLI I replaced It with. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
bleach551 wrote:
AhamB,

the known improvement in 69XXXXX serial number, which was the change from AE version to MM version.

There is a Planar 1.7/50 in the Marketplace now (sold) which has a 679xxxx serial, and it was a MM version (green f/16 aperture and MM function works on Contax body that supports it). It had a ninja-star aperture at f/2 and 2.8 though...

It seems that this AE to MM transition was not so black and white as you put it.

yep it was mine (i was the seller)
And you're right Wink MMJ green f/16 (also tested in MM mode on Contax 159MM)

Strange MM planar f/1.7 Laughing

Here a picture (soory for the awful quality, but it's the only pic where we can "see" a little the green f/16)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourmix and ahamB,

I stand corrected. But for the longest, that has been want I have been led to believe.

Fourmix, to I apologize for inferring that there might be something " not right" about you your lens. I have been educated like I knew I would when I joined this forum. And I will continue to be educated by those more knowledgeable than myself. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem.

I was surprised by this AEMM lens to Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fourmix,

No more "absolute statements" from me. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lots of talk in this thread about the 1.7/50 Contax!
Let me set a few things straight:

1- I am the guy responsible for spreading around the rumour that the 8x serials of the 1.7/50 Contax have been improved optically. Very Happy
As far as I know, no one else other than me has stated that, probably also because 8x copies are not easy to find.

2- I have owned several copies of this lens, numbered 5x, 6x and 7x. I currently own two copies 8x, both bought new (old stock).

3- Based on my experience, I have no doubt that the 8x copies are better optically than the 5x 6x 7x copies that I tried.
Of course, I can not make of this an absolute statement. I can not tell, for instance, if there may be 7x copies that are as good as the 8x.
Mine was not. But I have no evidence to say from what precise moment that change occurred. It might be that some 7x may be included. Or might not.
And no, sorry, I don't think I have written down anywhere the complete serial of the 7x copy that I owned.
I sold my 1.7/50 copies over the span of some years. The latest was sold when I bought the 8x copies.
And neither I can exclude that all 8x copies might be as good as those that I have. Maybe some earlier ones are not. Who knows?
The only thing I know is that my two copies are both of superior optical quality

4- The Planar 1.7/50 is NOT in the list of lenses that have been confirmed to have been improved optically with the passage from AE to MM.
Those lenses are the Distagon 2.8/25, Distagon 2.8/28 and Sonnar 2.8/135.
All the other lenses rumoured are just rumours.

5- The passage from AE to MM is NOT linkable to any serial number limit. Serial numbers in Zeiss Oberkochen do not appear to be chronologically always subsequent.
Most AE/MM switch seem to have happened between serials 68x and 72x, but there is no safe rule to assume.

8- One thing I can add about the 8x copies of Planar 1.7/50, is that their materials build seems poorer than the previous copies. The metal alloy seems lighter and of poorer quality.
The lens overall is lighter in weight. Also the focusing action shows a little "play" whereas the older copies (especially the 5x copies) were much tighter and felt more solid.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleach551 wrote:
AhamB,

I don't know what that was. I have had mulitiple Planar 50mm f1.7, 5 to be exact, 3 with serial numbers from 68xxxxx to 687xxx and unless they produced a few MM's and then went back to producing AE's I don't know what to tell you. The 68xxxxx's I had were all AE's with " black" mounts and "white" 16's. One of the other 2 Planars had a "silver and Black" mount, one of the features on a "MM" but had a "white" 16 and a 67xxxxx serial number. I don't want to accuse anyone of anything wrong, because I only know that "my" planar 50mm f1.7's with 68xxxxx serial numbers were all "AE's" and the general consensus is that the "MM's" were started at around the 69xxxxx serial numbers. Maybe someone vastly more knowledgeable than myself can explain that specific Planar 50mm f1.7 you mentioned. Confused

I know this is an old thread but I found it when searcing for some information and, for anyone else who finds it too, here's my list of 50mm f/1.7 lenses that have passed through my hands along with some details of each:

7383168 MM.
7382032 MM.
6899992 MM.
6806565 MM.
6806479 MM. Originally purchased pre 1990, UK
6798061 AE. Originally purchased 28-3-1988, Germany
6503981 AE. From 139 s/n 189840 and believed bought together new.
6482072 AE. From 139 s/n 202046
6419418 AE. From 139 s/n 068519. Originally sold early 80s.
6412856 AE. From a 137MD
6260210 AE. From 139 s/n 038455. Purchased from original owner.
6249569 AE. With 016973 body.
6243411 AE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monopix wrote:

I know this is an old thread but I found it when searcing for some information and, for anyone else who finds it too, here's my list of 50mm f/1.7 lenses that have passed through my hands along with some details of each:

7383168 MM.
7382032 MM.
6899992 MM.
6806565 MM.
6806479 MM. Originally purchased pre 1990, UK
6798061 AE. Originally purchased 28-3-1988, Germany
6503981 AE. From 139 s/n 189840 and believed bought together new.
6482072 AE. From 139 s/n 202046
6419418 AE. From 139 s/n 068519. Originally sold early 80s.
6412856 AE. From a 137MD
6260210 AE. From 139 s/n 038455. Purchased from original owner.
6249569 AE. With 016973 body.
6243411 AE.

Nice list! Did you have opportunity to test the lenses? I would be interested to hear comments about copy variation and how big is the difference betweeen AE and MM versions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 8xxxxxx the formula had changed.

Before the 8xxx the scheme was 4 elements in the front group and 3 at the rear.

Well, from the 8xxx, the front group has 3 elements and the rear has 4.