Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Film in the freezer - can it go back in there?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Film in the freezer - can it go back in there? Reply with quote

I read about storing film in the freezer because, in some way, it preserves / extends its life.

So I understand that the film then needs to be brought up to room temperature - presumably - before use. Yes? No?

But what about buying film which is freezer stored? It's going to thawa out whilst in shipping: can I refreeze it to continue the preservation process?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film needs to return to ambient temperature before use.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodak -- Storage and Handling of Unprocessed Film

Film same as optics: cold into warm, seal it (as in plastic baggie or other waterproof/air-tight container) until it reaches the warmer temperature otherwise the greater humidity in the warmer air can condense as moisture.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Kodak -- Storage and Handling of Unprocessed Film

Film same as optics: cold into warm, seal it (as in plastic baggie or other waterproof/air-tight container) until it reaches the warmer temperature otherwise the greater humidity in the warmer air can condense as moisture.

I just keep mine in the container until I'm ready to load it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I store my films in sealed plastic boxes in freezer, before I willing to use them I put them into my photo bag. Usually I reach my photo are under 30 minutes that is enough to get warm them.
Old film like 30-40 yrs Fortepan can be fragile after freezing I not recommend to freeze them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the film has been defreezed and then refreezed, I would recommend not to eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
If the film has been defreezed and then refreezed, I would recommend not to eat it.

Laughing Laughing