Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Film and travelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Film and travelling Reply with quote

I have somewhat missed the film-era but am trying to catch up lately Wink I have been shooting some rolls of B/W with my Nikon F2m and am becoming somewhat addicted. In two weeks, I'm going to Martinique for a week and like to take the F2m along the D80. However, I never travelled with film and imagine there are some issues to think about.

- What is the best way to store the used rolls during travelling (and bear in mind that Martinique has a tropical climate)?
- How about the X-ray machine in the airport? Does it destroy the exposures? Should I store them in a special container?

I don't develop film myself (yet). Any recommendation on travelling with film is appreciated. Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Film and travelling Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
I have somewhat missed the film-era but am trying to catch up lately Wink I have been shooting some rolls of B/W with my Nikon F2m and am becoming somewhat addicted. In two weeks, I'm going to Martinique for a week and like to take the F2m along the D80. However, I never travelled with film and imagine there are some issues to think about.

- What is the best way to store the used rolls during travelling (and bear in mind that Martinique has a tropical climate)?
- How about the X-ray machine in the airport? Does it destroy the exposures? Should I store them in a special container?

I don't develop film myself (yet). Any recommendation on travelling with film is appreciated. Cool

Hi,
What I generally do is not travel with film.
I purchase the film when I get where I'm going and have the negatives developed there also. X-rays don't affect developed negs.

Jules

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question!

Film can certainly be damaged by airport X-Ray security scanners. I haven't been through one with film for some time, not since 9/11 anyway, so I'm not up to date with current procedures, but you used to be allowed to hand film over to the security staff and pick it up the other side of the gate so it didn't go through the scanner.

Here's some useful info from Kodak:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to see if you can still request a personal inspection of film rather than scanning. It looks as though it depends on which airport you're using, but in general it still seems possible.

I actually found this on one page Laughing
"You may request a hand-inspection of any undeveloped film. This doesn't mean that your request will be honored in all countries. Use of clear film canisters will expedite the process."

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember years ago there were xray resistant pouches for film available - in this time of our I don't know if they're still available or not.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I wouldn't advise buying film in the location (sorry jules), unless of course you know the area well enough. Especially if you like a particular film - it just may not be available. Film in foreign countries just may not be of the same quality and if you come back with it, an amateur lab may be confused by it, even if it is the same emulsion processes.

My experience in airports has differed from security not even opening the canister to ruining a roll by pulling the whole film strip out. Just depends on the circumstances unfortunately.

Also just a little side note: I would cover up those name brands on your equipment. There is a great deal of money to be had in taking someone’s camera bag. This is certainly not a commentary on Martinique just a general travel tip.