Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Film and exposure compensation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Film and exposure compensation Reply with quote

Hi all,
lets talk a bit about film color and blackwhite alternatives and discuss how much under and overxposure can be problematic.
I am looking for a smallish camera for some street photography.
Such film cameras do not have an exposure compensation button nor an iso (easy to use dial) to allow more or less light of what the meter suggests.

I can find few models that have a +2 or +1.5 when shooting against sun. What is the reason that are few very few cameras that have exposure compensation? (Ok my large f100 has one but this is a dslr)

Thanks
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Film and exposure compensation Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi all,
lets talk a bit about film color and blackwhite alternatives and discuss how much under and overxposure can be problematic.
I am looking for a smallish camera for some street photography.
Such film cameras do not have an exposure compensation button nor an iso (easy to use dial) to allow more or less light of what the meter suggests.

I can find few models that have a +2 or +1.5 when shooting against sun. What is the reason that are few very few cameras that have exposure compensation? (Ok my large f100 has one but this is a dslr)

Thanks
Alex

Well I don't know if all compact film cameras don't have exposure compact buttons or if you can adjust the ISO...but my guess would be the mass of photographers using these cameras would be just joe public and they just wanted to press the shutter button (and with AF and film latitude) were happy with the results.
The labs developing the film would just compensate for exposure errors and this site shows the latitude of film:-
http://petapixel.com/2015/08/10/how-much-can-you-overexpose-negative-film-have-a-look/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Excalibur, always a pleasure to read from you.
I am looking for a smallish camera where I can do some exposure compensation (either with an EV Button or by rotating fast the iso button).
Most of the small cameras are rangefinders that either do not have an EV button or the ISO button is too rigid/"hidden" to turn in real time.

Other alternative that I have in mind is to buy some small SLR body with a smallish prime to use (My Nikon F100 and my 28-85 zoom lense, is unfortunately too large for street photography where I want to be unnoticed).

My ideal camera would be a range finder size or a smallish film pocket camera with auto focus and Exposure compensation button.

Thanks
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Thanks Excalibur, always a pleasure to read from you.
I am looking for a smallish camera where I can do some exposure compensation (either with an EV Button or by rotating fast the iso button).
Most of the small cameras are rangefinders that either do not have an EV button or the ISO button is too rigid/"hidden" to turn in real time.

Other alternative that I have in mind is to buy some small SLR body with a smallish prime to use (My Nikon F100 and my 28-85 zoom lense, is unfortunately too large for street photography where I want to be unnoticed).

My ideal camera would be a range finder size or a smallish film pocket camera with auto focus and Exposure compensation button.

Thanks
Alex

Well I've never been interested in compact cameras but many years ago played with early Konica C35 and IIRC that had some adjustable manual controls and maybe worth a look, but from others the Olympus XA is liked and looks like you can adjust the ASA for exposure compensation for those tricky shots.
https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/10/olympus-xa-pocket-professional/
http://www.diaxa.com/xa.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. from the nikon slrs with autofocus which one has the smallest body?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
thanks for the reply. from the nikon slrs with autofocus which one has the smallest body?

Well I thought you were interested in compacts (not SLR) ? For AF compacts where you just press the shutter button, I used to buy many compacts for peanuts and passed them to my wife to try out. One I liked was one of the Nikon aF210 models, but all the different makes (not the zoom ones) gave similar results for sharpness etc.
For the smallest Nikon AF SLR it would be better if you went to the film sections of e.g. https://www.photrio.com/forum/ and others, as the cameras I have, are in my profile and haven't the time to even use all of them without getting more cameras esp the smallest of a particular make Smile
But not in my profile yet ..I bought the Canon EOS300 and later EOS300v (better model) AF cameras to play with and are very good plastic fantastic AF SLRs, so light and seem to do everything including using an adapter for M42 screw lenses. I've only got the kit zooms for them but the sharpness etc from them are good.