Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FED 2B or FED 3B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: FED 2B or FED 3B Reply with quote

Hi colleagues!

Whilst waiting for the sealing foam to fix my Konica C35V, I'm looking to the FED's. They look really nice. I've seen Veijo's shots at his site, and definitely I go for one of those.

My doubt now is if choosing a FED2 or a FED3. They are quite similar in price at this time.

What would you recommend?

On the other hand, I'm in doubt on which film they do use. I understand they are standard 35mm film cameras... Aren't they?.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: FED 2B or FED 3B Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
My doubt now is if choosing a FED2 or a FED3. They are quite similar in price at this time.

Unless you very definitely need slow speeds (slower than 1/30s), go for the FED-2, which is more robust. FED-2 is "probably the best Soviet rangefinder camera, especially in its simpler early form when it just felt like the next generation Leica. It existed in 1939 before World War Two as a prototype. It incorporated a Contax type long base rangefinder and removable back for easy film loading." according to http://sovietcamera.110mb.com/soviet/

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm in doubt on which film they do use. I understand they are standard 35mm film cameras... Aren't they?.

Yes, they are.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: FED 2B or FED 3B Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Unless you very definitely need slow speeds (slower than 1/30s), go for the FED-2, which is more robust. FED-2 is "probably the best Soviet rangefinder camera, especially in its simpler early form when it just felt like the next generation Leica. It existed in 1939 before World War Two as a prototype. It incorporated a Contax type long base rangefinder and removable back for easy film loading." according to http://sovietcamera.110mb.com/soviet/

Quote:

Yes, they are.

Veijo

Thanks a lot Veijo!. I definitely go for one with an Industar 26 lens...
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already bought!..
Click here to see on Ebay
Now to patiently wait until it arrives...
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good price! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Already bought!..

Seems to be in good shape externally Smile

Quote:

When it arrives, there is one thing to remember: before changing the shutter speed, always cock the shutter by advancing the film. The shutter mechanism of these early FED-2's is pretty robust and may survive the change of speed even if the shutter isn't cocked, but just in case one might as well take care.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Already bought!..

Seems to be in good shape externally Smile

Quote:

When it arrives, there is one thing to remember: before changing the shutter speed, always cock the shutter by advancing the film. The shutter mechanism of these early FED-2's is pretty robust and may survive the change of speed even if the shutter isn't cocked, but just in case one might as well take care.

Veijo

Hi Veijo, thanks a lot!
Yes, there were a lot of FED-2 on eBay, I've been looking for a balance between price and physical look... An externally well conserved camera, should have more probabilities of being well internally.
I'll take into account the speed change issue... One thing more to remember.
Best regards.
Jes.