Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast 'normal' lens for Pentax DSLR (wide for 35mm)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fast 'normal' lens for Pentax DSLR (wide for 35mm)? Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
ptodd wrote:
Off topic because it's slightly too wide, or because it's AF?

Because it's AF Embarassed.
Fair enough - it is mflenses.com, after all.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would anyone say it's worth paying for the Mir?

I quite like the look of this image I found (although I don't much like the sound of soft corners at open aperture, of course)

(from
http://www.fotografowac.pl/uzytkownicy/enter/chmielna-wosp.html#title)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two images I took with the Mir-24M and one with the Flek 2.4/35 to compare. The soft(ish) corners aren't a problem at all, they only appear at the widest aperture, and on the crop camera they will be out of shot anyway. Sadly I can't help you very much with the price (mine came in a deal for 4 lenses), but it's much cheaper than the Flek, perhaps around ?40-?50. One or two forum members have the 24H (Nikon) version, maybe they have a better idea than me.

Mir-24M

Mir-24M

Flektogon 2.4/35

I think both these shots are at 5.6. There's very little to choose between them for sharpness, but compare the colours. The green leaves of the tree on the right are more vivid with the Mir and the colour of the stonework on the building is warmer. This is typical of many Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several on sale on the 'bay at present! I waited months for mine Sad

This is probably the best value and a very well-respected seller:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd (once again) like to agree to Peter(QD).
Although 28mm lenses are not bad for a crop DSLR, I prefer 35mm lenses as a "normal" lens on my Canons.

And WOW, this Zeiss IS a beauty!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this list:

http://www.goeldenitz.org/pentax/

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
There are several on sale on the 'bay at present! I waited months for mine Sad

This is probably the best value and a very well-respected seller:
Click here to see on Ebay
Thanks. Actually, I was already watching that and am considering going for it. On the dpr pentax forum, there's a fairly accepted rule of not posting about ebay auctions that are still active. I don't mind, but that's why I was keeping a little bit quiet.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if you think I ruined your chances but as the minimum bid is only ?5 lower than the BIN price, is it really worth waiting and watching?

Actually, on this forum we have our own private area for discussing auctions but I'm not sure whether you're allowed to see it yet. If you can then maybe this thread should be moved there.

No comment on the pictures I did for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I'm sorry if you think I ruined your chances but as the minimum bid is only ?5 lower than the BIN price, is it really worth waiting and watching?

I really don't mind at all, it's just a different ettiquette I'm used to... it did seem a bit artificial not mentioning it.
Quote:
Actually, on this forum we have our own private area for discussing auctions but I'm not sure whether you're allowed to see it yet. If you can then maybe this thread should be moved there.

Indeed, it's not that I think anything spectacular is going to happen; just that I wanted to get used to the idea that I did definitely want to buy the lens.

Quote:
No comment on the pictures I did for you?
Embarassed they were very interesting to see... just posted in a hurry before leaving my house to see my best friend who's just come back to the UK after three years living in Moscow... and now it's nearly 7am, so I guess I should sleep Wink maybe some more appreciation later...

Thanks again...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I think both these shots are at 5.6. There's very little to choose between them for sharpness, but compare the colours. The green leaves of the tree on the right are more vivid with the Mir and the colour of the stonework on the building is warmer. This is typical of many Russian lenses.

I certainly see what you mean about the warmer stonework. I don't as yet have very strongly formed opinions about colour rendition (nor do I have a callibrated screen), although I do appreciate that it is important (perhaps more so for film, which I might go back to a bit). I'd tend towards things being neutral and of course I haven't seen the scene with my own eyes to know how it really looked. I don't want to be too disparaging about my Vivitar, but colour is one area where I'm not sure I particularly enjoy its character; in fact, something warmer as I see here would be an improvement, I think.

The Mir images I've seen look like it should satisfy me fairly well. Unfortunately some hot-shot has placed a bid on that auction (I think the item has actually been relisted a couple of times, so perhaps they thought it was safe). The result is that the buy it now option has gone, but I might well put a punt in and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Here are two images I took with the Mir-24M and one with the Flek 2.4/35 to compare. The soft(ish) corners aren't a problem at all, they only appear at the widest aperture, and on the crop camera they will be out of shot anyway. Sadly I can't help you very much with the price (mine came in a deal for 4 lenses), but it's much cheaper than the Flek, perhaps around ?40-?50. One or two forum members have the 24H (Nikon) version, maybe they have a better idea than me.

Mir-24M

Mir-24M

Flektogon 2.4/35

I prefer the colours of the flektogon...
i don't like so much warm colour in the pictures.
also some canon lenses reproduces pictures with warm colours...
and for this i prefer carl zeiss lenses

it is a thing of idea
so if it is better flektogon than mir or it is better mir than flektogon,
it depends!
what is the lens that reproduces the colours with 100% of accuracy ?
this is the question...and the answer...you must find it!!!