Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast 85mm range lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Fast 85mm range lens? Reply with quote

I'm back to posting in this forum.. after 5 years away.

I'm looking for a fast 85mm with the usual requisite drop-dead bokeh. I used to have a Jupiter-9 years ago but the prices on these things have come up to such a level that I don't feel happy buying another one, considering how poorly made they are.

I'm using Canon full-frame and I'm looking at an 85mm to fill a gap. The lens must be fairly cheap because I can get a used 85mm f/1.8 USM for $300 - I had one of these and it's a very nice lens. I see a few Helios-40 but the prices are too high, I'd frankly rather get the Canon 85mm f/1.8 which is more usable.

I actually have a 70-200mm f/2.8 (which is why I sold the 85/1.8 I had) but I've realized that the 70-200 is overly heavy and not at all pleasant to carry around, so I'm shifting to primes. I have the Canon 28mm and 135mm primes, so rather a large gap. A 50mm prime would fit right in, but I think I would prefer an 85mm.

Suggestions? One lens I'm looking at the Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 which is pretty cheap.. the 80/1.9 is also slightly interesting but quite a bit more expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 9s aren't poorly made, you must have been unlucky and had one someone messed with.

If you like smooth bokeh, a sonnar type like the J9 is the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focusing ring on my J9 got stuck at minimum focusing distance. This was a new one from the early 2000's I think. Probably made on a Monday by someone with a hangover. After lots of huffing, puffing, and banging, I managed to free the ring. Had to use a jar opener I believe.

The J37 I had was a really old one and was nicer. Still rather crude. I believe it's also a Sonnar copy but I am overflowing with 135mm lenses as it is. I would agree that Sonnars are very pleasing.. I recently compared all my 135mm's and although the Canon 135mm f/2 beat all the others, the 1/10-priced CZJ 135/3.5 came close.

Did Zeiss Jena make an 85mm Sonnar? I think the 80mm Pancolar is actually a Planar, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early, 1950s J9 probably, plus a relube to get rid of any dried up grease.

Nikon copied the Sonnar to make their 2.5/105 first version.

Not sure what other 85mm lenses are Sonnar types.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax Sonnar 2/85mm is a Sonnar type Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the J9 and the (1950s) Nikon 85/2 were copied from the Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 as far as I know. But those are rather expensive and won't work on a DSLR (being rangefinder lenses). I've heard of the Nikon 85/2 AIS being compared to a good J9, and I seem to recall that the Olympus 85/2 is also a Sonnar/Ernostar...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glaebhoerl wrote:
Both the J9 and the (1950s) Nikon 85/2 were copied from the Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 as far as I know. But those are rather expensive and won't work on a DSLR (being rangefinder lenses). I've heard of the Nikon 85/2 AIS being compared to a good J9, and I seem to recall that the Olympus 85/2 is also a Sonnar/Ernostar...

The Jupiter 9 is also available in M42/SLR version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-BLADES-PENTAX-M42-LZOS-JUPITER-9-F-85mm-1-2-0-based-on-Zeiss-Sonnar-VG-/141707893518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fe72db0e

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas is right. There are J-9 made for SLR cameras in M39 and M42 mount. They are shorter than the one made for rangefinder.

The Olympus 85/2s are enhanced Ernostar.

Make sure you check the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical, it is pretty good for its price.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know. I was talking about the Zeiss and Nikon rangefinder Sonnars. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

EDIT: And of course, there's also the 85/2.8 Zeiss Sonnars in C/Y and QBM mount... not sure if they're adaptable to EOS.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QBM's can be adapted, you lose infinity focus but there's an easy fix, and being a tele lens the 5D mirror won't strike the back.

Unfortunately J9's now go for $150 so the Samyang 85/1.4 looks pretty darn good for only a little more, and it's an ED/aspherical lens.. all the other 85mm's cost more than the J9. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glaebhoerl wrote:
Yes I know. I was talking about the Zeiss and Nikon rangefinder Sonnars. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

EDIT: And of course, there's also the 85/2.8 Zeiss Sonnars in C/Y and QBM mount... not sure if they're adaptable to EOS.

Actually that was what I meant: C/Y Sonnar 2.8/85mm, just made a typo...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
The QBM's can be adapted, you lose infinity focus but there's an easy fix, and being a tele lens the 5D mirror won't strike the back.

Unfortunately J9's now go for $150 so the Samyang 85/1.4 looks pretty darn good for only a little more, and it's an ED/aspherical lens.. all the other 85mm's cost more than the J9. Crying or Very sad

The really good times are definitely over now. Thanks to Sony. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Orestor 100/2.8 . m42.I think that there is an QBM Rollei to eos adapter available with variable results in the infinity .The C/Y adapters are working well on eos but I am not expecting for a C / Y 85mm to be fairly cheap. Or get that EF 85/1.8 , at 300 it still is a good price.
I am using the FDn 85/1.8 from Canon which is a gorgeous lens , but on mirror less body. On FF eos it doesn't fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:

there are "adapters" where you switch the mount... this way you won't lose infinity:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might indeed end up with the EF 85/1.8 - i think it is optically identical to the FD 85/1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they're not - EF version has more elements (perhaps due to autofocus?).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, they are different. A surprise. Since the 50/1.4 FD and EF are the same (7 elements / 6 groups) I assumed the 85's would be as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. The Olympus OM 85/2 costs way more than the Pentax 85/1.9, which in turn costs more than the Canon EF 85/1.8 !!

So fond memories of manual focusing aside, I think my sanest option for a lens I will actually use a lot, is the EF 85/1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't refuse AF lens, the EF 85 1.8 should be your best opinion. It is relatively cheaper than the new Canon primes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build quality (or lack of it) has to be taken into account when considering a modern Canon lens. If you want a lens to last for many years of good service, don't buy a modern Canon, the quality is shocking, disposable grade almost.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best value, Samyang 85 1.4.
For AF, EF 85 1.8.
For durability, get the old metal ones.
For fun, get the Mitakon 85 2.

For me, I go for the these two. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fast but very good lens for a very good price : the Volna-3B 2.8/80mm MC.
It's a P6 mount, so made for medium format. It's very good on Canon Full format like the 5D Mark II.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Pentax 85/1.8 K or M42 Mount

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-Auto-Takumar-85mm-F1.8.html

RemcoR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, in terms of build quality.. I agree that modern Canon lenses can have poor build quality particularly at the consumer end.

But the older ones (and the 85/1.8 is one of the older ones) are pretty decent. I have this circa-1990's almost all-metal, tank-like 300mm f/4L (non-IS) which gives up nothing to these old manual focus lenses.

I used to own the EF 85/1.8 and while it's not up to L class, it's pretty OK.

While on the topic of the Volna 3, has anyone used the Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 for 645 mount? used prices are in the same range or even lower than the Volna 3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ~85mm on EF mount, I'd look at Nikkor 85's, Contax, CZJ, Pentax/Takumar, Leica R, Jupiter 9, OM, Helios 40...
My faves: Leica 90, Topcor 85(that Calvin posted), Pentax/Takumar, FD 85L, Konica AR