Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fake Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Fake Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm ? Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Looks fake, look the finish too rough. Any comment ?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm ? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Looks fake, look the finish too rough. Any comment ?

I don't know, it surely looks bizarre but I have seen other lenses half silver half black. It would pay to have a Zeiss catalogue and check - or perhaps make a search for past items on Ebay and compare the photographs.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see the letters on lens looks rough all zeiss lens has in my experience except some of latest DDR lens has quality finish.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 58mm version is all silver outside:

And another 75mm here is also all silver:

so I would say that your finding definitely stinks.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like a filter was screwed on it...maybe this is how they faked it?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
it looks like a filter was screwed on it...maybe this is how they faked it?

I'm wondering if this might be a Russian Zeiss, around the time they removed the machines and staff (and finished stock parts) from E Germany after the war, before the Russian factories started copying them. Are we sure this lens for a 35mm SLR?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that if you see focusing scale and other numbers looks rough not same fine than on other CZJ lenses and different looking than other Biotars with Exakta end.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount finish doesn't match the alu lens barrel finish, never mind the black part.

Knock-off made out of different parts, anyone....?

There are black Biotar 58s but they're fairly rare and I've never seen a black 75.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it certainly doesn't look like any 75 biotar that i've seen. but what DOES it look like? what would they have used as the basis for the counterfeit?

according to my admittedly rough calculations, the serial number (assuming it's a real CZJ number) suggests a wartime production, or extremely early postwar at the latest.

...... which is also interesting as my Aguila/Rouah book shows the 75/1.5 beginning in 1947. The serial number seems much too low for that date.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of old CZJ lenses can you tell me the issue year if I give you serial numbers ?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what DOES it look like? what would they have used as the basis for the counterfeit?

Could it be parts of a fixed lens removed from a camera and then rebuilt with an externally manufactured mount and barrel?

Reason I suggest this, is that as I indicated before, the mount is unfinished, but the black barrel looks too new and is milled at the top like a filter ring.

I have seen a modified Biotar 75 on ebay where the aperture was modded to 1.4 and the front part of the barrel was black - possibly anodized.

I've since tried to find this lens but with no success as yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a custom made perhaps from Helios-44 lenses Smile Good investment if somebody buy it Surprised

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might give a clue - scroll down to the Rectaflex section just below the Humphrey Bogart/Gina Lollobrigida image:

http://www.leicatime.com/a000-italian.htm

Here's the modded Biotar:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like than on picture, but I keep my opinion this is fake, letter finish to rough for genuine.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have a couple of old CZJ lenses can you tell me the issue year if I give you serial numbers ?

I can give you my best guess. Email me at rick_oleson@yahoo.com

: ) =

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you in advance!