Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

f/2 or faster lenses that cover 6x6 format
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: f/2 or faster lenses that cover 6x6 format Reply with quote

Just a fun thought, do you know of any projector or other type of lens that would be interesting to adapt to a Kiev 60?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several that should work, I am not sure, but I think my Visionar 183mm f/1.9 should work on Kiev 60. Nor sure whether I tried it back then when I have not adapted it to Canon EOS.
A fast Isco I own works on Kiev 60, I think it has f/1.6.
There are other lenses as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isco-Göttingen Kiptar 2/85mm or Zeiss Kirponar / Visionar models should mostly fit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VISIONAR lesnes may cover that area with some light yet their working definition
was for 16mm cine film format.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slide projector lenses are, generally, not faster than f/2. They don't project the image on a very large screen (are not intended for a very large audience), so they don't need to be faster.
The movie projector lenses need to be faster as their projection screen is, usually, considerably larger (as is their intended audience).
The lenses you are looking for are the projection lenses made for the 70mm high-resolution film.
Schneider is the most well known maker of 70mm projection lenses. You can see their offers, all f/2, on their site here:
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=87

Anyway, the possibility to adapt the 70mm film projection lenses to a Kiev 60 camera is restricted by the beck focus distance of the projection lenses. Due to the long flange distance of the Kiev 60 I shouldn't be very optimistic. Probably they are only usable for close-up and macro.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! The Visionar lenses looks nice. Any Soviet optics too check for?

At least portrait distance would be good to have, infinity not as important since there are probably no aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have one of those fancy Schneiders for $100? Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISCO - Optics and Kollmorgen had lines of lenses for 70mm film, too.
From time to time you can find on ebay one used for 100-200$. Just keep hunting them. Right now the cheapest one, an 131mm f/2.1, is 133$:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131mm-F2-1-KOLLMORGEN-CINELUX-70-35mm-PROJECTION-DSLR-66-67-645-PORTRAIT-LENS-/222120470674?hash=item33b7696892:g:4OgAAOSwVcFXOmFD

Other interesting lenses that could be adapted to Kiev 60 are the older aerial lenses from the "cold war" era. Many of them were made for the 70mm film and are quite luminous, like the Aero-Ektars. All are very high quality lenses that when new cost a fortune.
But you can't find them in the 100$ price range even now (unless you are very lucky).

If you want a special character portrait lens for the 6x6cm format than most of the very old Petzval projection lenses will qualify. The old Hermagis Cinema lenses with a FL >80mm cover 6x6. The 120mm one covers well 6x9cm, I've tested it. Some of them are luminous, too, and with patience you can still find them in the 100$ price range.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
ISCO - Optics and Kollmorgen had lines of lenses for 70mm film, too.
From time to time you can find on ebay one used for 100-200$. Just keep hunting them. Right now the cheapest one, an 131mm f/2.1, is 133$:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131mm-F2-1-KOLLMORGEN-CINELUX-70-35mm-PROJECTION-DSLR-66-67-645-PORTRAIT-LENS-/222120470674?hash=item33b7696892:g:4OgAAOSwVcFXOmFD

Other interesting lenses that could be adapted to Kiev 60 are the older aerial lenses from the "cold war" era. Many of them were made for the 70mm film and are quite luminous, like the Aero-Ektars. All are very high quality lenses that when new cost a fortune.
But you can't find them in the 100$ price range even now (unless you are very lucky).

If you want a special character portrait lens for the 6x6cm format than most of the very old Petzval projection lenses will qualify. The old Hermagis Cinema lenses with a FL >80mm cover 6x6. The 120mm one covers well 6x9cm, I've tested it. Some of them are luminous, too, and with patience you can still find them in the 100$ price range.

I didn't know about Kollmorgen or Hermagis, I'll keep an eye open for those too!

And maybe a Diaplan 100mm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would add to candidates:
* IOR Supercin 92/1.6 (I'm not aware if there is biger lineup of those; maybe dan_ knows)
* Meostigmat 130/1.9 (there is boom on meostigmats recently; it might be tough to find reasonably priced samples)
both focused on sheet of paper showed coverage enough big for 6x6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
* IOR Supercin 92/1.6 (I'm not aware if there is biger lineup of those; maybe dan_ knows)

Yes, the lineup is bigger. I have the 50mm(2 versions), 65mm and 75mm ones, but I have never tried them on larger formats. They are very similar with the Meostigmat lineup. When I'll have more time I'll make some proper test photos with them and I'll post them here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: f/2 or faster lenses that cover 6x6 format Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Just a fun thought... f/2 or faster lenses that cover 6x6 format lens that would be interesting to adapt to a Kiev 60?

I remember there was a Zeiss Planar 110mm F2 for the Hasselblad. I do not know if it could be adapted to a Kiev 60, but if it can, the attempt would be as crazy as adapting a Ferrari engine to a Trabant.
Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hasseblad register is enough longer than the P6 that an adapter may be possible. I'm not sure about an adapter with diaphragm automation.

I have a 4"/2 TTH ex-Vinten F.95. Nice lens, won't do for the OP because of short back focus. Same goes for the 98/1.4 Wild Falconar that I don't have and the f/1.5 and f/2 3" Elcan aerial camera lenses that I also don't have.

I suspect, could be mistaken, that this is also the case for the 80/2 Noritar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Personally I would add to candidates:
* Meostigmat 130/1.9 (there is boom on meostigmats recently; it might be tough to find reasonably priced samples)
both focused on sheet of paper showed coverage enough big for 6x6

I just checked ebay, $300 for a Meostigmat 130/1.9!

Also found this Bronica adaptation.
http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=20100

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a projection lens, but the KINOPTIK 100/2 covers 6x9cm, and worth a mention

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

Sure but it would require a kidney to sell: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kinoptik-1-2-f-100mm-Apochromat-tele-camera-lens-2-100mm-Cameflex-hood-cap-CLAd-/152454339965

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Sure but it would require a kidney to sell: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kinoptik-1-2-f-100mm-Apochromat-tele-camera-lens-2-100mm-Cameflex-hood-cap-CLAd-/152454339965

I paid 30€ for an early silver version at a fleamarket, but I have to admit that it isn't so usual Very Happy

It was in bad shape, but after a good cleaning was a fine performer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meostigmat 100/1.7 cover 6x6 with minimum vignetting. but extremely heavy and bulky lens!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar 80/2, I have one. This was made for the Norita 6x6 SLR.

But I am not sure it can be adapted to a Kiev.

The Norita camera had a shorter back focus, and though this can probably be adjusted through a mount replacement; the lens mount on the Norita isn't that hard to remove and you clear out a lot of space when you do that, mainly taken up by the breechlock mount. So there probably is room to work with.

The one I have was heavily damaged so I did that, and made it into an M42.

The other problem is mirror clearance. I don't think there is an easy way to be sure about this on a Kiev/Hasselblad without trying it. Much more likely this conversion will work on a 6x4.5 camera like a Pentax or Mamiya.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a lot more choices than I thought!

This is why I love this forum!