Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extremely sharp MF lens at a reasonable price
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Extremely sharp MF lens at a reasonable price Reply with quote

What is the sharpest possible Medium Format (or even 35mm) lens that is not too expensive?

This will be adapted to a 35mm movie camera. Advantage with using a Medium Format lens on a Super35 format is that I am using the sharpest part of the lens, I are getting more light out of the lens and the focusing barrel is bigger.

I am looking at:
Jena 180mm 2.8 Pentacon Six (MF lens)
Jena 80mm 2.8 Pentacon Six (MF lens)
Jena 135mm 3.5 M42 (35mm lens)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of lenses and I can honestly say that the sharpest one is my SMC Pentax M 100mm f4 macro. I believe the SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 is excellent if you get the right version of it, as there were two versions. The 100mm f4 was also available with an M42 mount. Most macro lenses are of simple optical construction and should be sharp. To be honest, the resolution of many decent primes will exceed the resolving capabilities of most film emulsions.
The Canon FD 35mm f2 chrome nose is very sharp too, and much better than the SSC version with a floating element. The downside is the yellow tint, they acquire over time, due to the use of Thorium in some of the glass. This was done to reduce dispersion.
If you decide to try the Pentax 100mm f4 macro lens, look out for balsam failure. Mine has it slightly and I would imagine that it reduces the contrast slightly.
Try to go for multicoated lenses as they will give your images more contrast and therefore greater perceived sharpness.
Oh, the P6 Zeiss Jena 50mm f4 Flektogon is extremely sharp too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get more light out of a lens with more coverage unless you use a focal reducer. With a focal reducer, the sharpness may decrease depends on the quality off the focal reducer and the design of the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sharp MF lens at a reasonable price Reply with quote

gazoo wrote:
What is the sharpest possible Medium Format (or even 35mm) lens that is not too expensive?

This will be adapted to a 35mm movie camera. Advantage with using a Medium Format lens on a Super35 format is that I am using the sharpest part of the lens, I are getting more light out of the lens and the focusing barrel is bigger.

I am looking at:

i'm afraid it isnt going to be true in general. if you choose MF for less vignetting it might be true but for sharpness i think these lens are worse than their 35mm counter parts. i tested the famous zeiss planar 80/2.8 in HB mount and it totally disappointing.

for 135mm focal range you should consider Samyang 135/2 and its extremely sharp! the planar macro 100/2 is also the benchmark for sharpness. for fast tele lens you should carful with CA more than sharpness! they are all sharp enough.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crop factor of the 35mm movie frame on those lenses will give a telephoto field of view - is that what you need ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In MF lenses I particularly like the 50/2.8 and 75/2.8 Nikon lenses for the Bronica S series. The Zenzanons for later Bronica models are quite good, too. You could also look at MF lenses made for Mamiya and Pentax. These all have large image circles. I did not notice the MF Nikkors or Zenzanons I tried to be any less sharp than lenses made for use with 35mm format film. I sort of recall hearing that the 135mm Nikkor for 35mm and 2 1/4 were the same lens optically, just with different mounts. The 35mm version just used the center of the image circle. Plus all these are not very expensive lenses to buy nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sharp MF lens at a reasonable price Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:
gazoo wrote:

I am looking at:

i'm afraid it isnt going to be true in general. if you choose MF for less vignetting it might be true but for sharpness i think these lens are worse than their 35mm counter parts. i tested the famous zeiss planar 80/2.8 in HB mount and it totally disappointing.

I agree with this. Lenses for smaller formats must be designed to tighter optical focus in order to appear just as sharp on a smaller format. There's often a greater pixel density in digital, or there's a much greater enlargement in printing or projection with film. OP must consider what is really important - across the field sharpness with a larger lens - where the corners are cropped off -, or absolute sharpness in the centre/middle which should be greater on a lens more appropriate to the intended format. All of the aberrations present, especially CA, are going to be enlarged by the crop factor as well, and as mentioned, performance will be reduced dependant on the quality of the focal reducer used (to enable greater light gathering).

If the intention is just to end up with a super telephoto on the movie format then it's an okay idea, as high quality long lenses are quite expensive on 135 format and not too compact. Cheap, compared to proper cinema gear, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the reply.

I do know that 35mm lenses are sharper than MF and LF lenses because the image is magnified to a greater degree.

However without trying lenses and testing them side-by-side, I can't tell if the Jena Medium Format is any better or worse than the 35mm M42 version when used on a Super35 film camera (a Super35 frame is even smaller than traditional 35mm still film).

The advantage with Medium Format lenses is that they are physically larger which means that the focus barrel is also larger. This is advantageous in filmmaking because there is greater degree of accuracy when pulling focus. In fact, many older lenses are being rehoused and sold to the filmmaking community for outrageous prices.

Sharpness in filmmaking is absolutely critical because the image is magnified on a big movie screen.

As far as my comment about the Medium Format lenses transmitting more light, this is a "heated" area of debate that we won't get out into.

The SMC Takumar f4.0 150mm is a good lead. This lead me to the Pentax SMC 50mm f4 which seems super sharp as well. They sell for about 110-200 dollars in M42 mount.

Also thanks for letting me know about the P6 Zeiss Jena 50mm f4 Flektogon. It does seem very sharp. I also found out about the Zeiss 20mm f4 in M42 mount which is supposed to be super sharp in the center (and very soft in the corners). I will be looking at these lenses as well.

I am also looking at the Pentax SMC 50mm F/1.4 in M42 mount which is supposed to be super sharp in the center when stopped down. I might be getting the Jena 135mm F/3.5 in M42 as well.

The other lenses you suggest (unfortunately) can't be adapted into PL mount cameras (at least no adapters exist).

Any more of these leads will be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Extremely sharp MF lens at a reasonable price Reply with quote

gazoo wrote:

I am looking at:

The Zeiss Jena 2.8/180mm Sonnar is a nice lens for portraits, nice bokeh and enough details with low contrast (at least in the f.2-4 range), but certainly not a "top sharp" lens. The Jena Sonnar 3.5/135mm is quite good, but i prefer the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/135mm for Contax/Yashica.

There are some medium format lenses which are very good also on 35mm Full Frame, e. g. the Mamiya Sekor C 1.9/80mm (from f4 on), the Mamiya Sekor C 4/150mm or the Sekor C 5.6/300mm. The latter has as little CAs as e. g. the Canon 2.8/300mm Fluorite or the Minolta 2.8/300mm APO. Remarkable.

In the 200mm range you might go for the Minolta MC 4/200mm or the Canon new FD 4/200mm IF. Both lenses have little CAs, and the Canon (and probably also the Minolta, but i don't know for sure) uses two lenses made of LD glass with a dispersion (Abbé number) of 70. Even better are the different AD/UD/ED versions such as the Canon EF 2.8/200 L, the Minolta AF (!) 2.8/200 APO, and the Nikkor AF 2.8/180 ED. Stopped down to f4 all theses lenses are nearly perfect (on 24MP FF).

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Extremely sharp MF lens at a reasonable price Reply with quote

Stephan,

The Mamiya Sekor C 1.9/80mm looks great. There is even one on eBay that has been converted to PL mount. However, the lens is $800 and the a PL mod is $495. Quite a bit more money than the vintage 35mm glass.

Unfortunately the Canon lenses can't be adapted to PL mount (only the other way around). Same for Minolta.

The mounts that can be adapted to PL (that I know of) are:

M42
Bayonet
Petacon Six
Kiev 88
Kiev 66
Pentax 645
Pentax 6x7 (P67, PK67)
Mamiya 645
Hasselblad V

Any other suggestions for a "top sharp" lens?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazoo wrote:
The Zeiss 20mm f4 in M42 mount which is supposed to be super sharp in the center (and very soft in the corners). I will be looking at these lenses as well.

I am also looking at the Pentax SMC 50mm F/1.4 in M42 mount which is supposed to be super sharp in the center when stopped down. I might be getting the Jena 135mm F/3.5 in M42 as well.

Any more of these leads will be greatly appreciated!

Great majority of lenses (without faults) are sharp in center if stepped down to the degree great majority of people cannot distinguish. Pick your favorite focal length and choose lowest price. It will work. Forget medium format, it makes no sense whatsoever. I am not even being sarcastic. Take Zeiss Contax Distagon 28mm for 400$ and RMC Tokina 28mm for 20$, close down to F5.6 and use on Super35 format. Then apply automatic post-processing of your choice and show HD resolution results to general public. Even 4K results will give similar response imho. I know it is a bit blasphemous to claim this here, but one thing to ask is in terms of sound, are you (or your audience) enjoying the music or being an audiophile?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Zeiss 1.7/50 C/Y ? It seems to stand out a bit in terms of sharpness compared to other sharp vintage 50's.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If sharpness is the prime consideration, go grab a Zenitar 1.7/50 or 2/50, available cheap as New, old stock, from Russia. Can't think of a sharper 50.

But, consider that video, even 4k, is not demanding of resolution to a high degree, so any good 50 will more than suffice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, since you're after budget lenses that are very sharp, my recommendation is easy, and it's based on past experience. Get yourself a selection of Pentax lenses. Most of my experience has to do with older K-mount lenses, but I'll wager that the M42 Takumars are just as sharp, as are the later Pentax designs. Pentax has a reputation of designing scary sharp stuff. And you sure can't beat the average Pentax or Takumar's price, either, unless it's some sort of specialized optic. But lenses like a K-mount 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm can be picked up on eBay and elsewhere for very reasonable. For "elsewhere" I recommend you check in at the Pentax Forums and go to their buy/sell page. You might have to be a member to access the page, but so what if you aren't already? Join up.

Pentode recommended the Pentax M 100mm f/4 Macro. I can second this, although the one I have is an M42 SMC Tak 100mm f/4 macro. It is a very sharp lens. Same optical formula?

Often some of the cheaper optics, like a 28mm f/3.5 or a 135mm f/3.5 can be picked up for peanuts because they're a half-stop slower than the 2.8s. You can save a tidy sum and they are just as sharp if not more so even.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazoo wrote:

As far as my comment about the Medium Format lenses transmitting more light, this is a "heated" area of debate that we won't get out into.

The projected image circle is larger, however the brightness of each unit of area remains the same between medium format and 35mm lens of same aperture. F1.4 light per unit area is the same regardless of format of lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazoo wrote:

The advantage with Medium Format lenses is that they are physically larger which means that the focus barrel is also larger. This is advantageous in filmmaking because there is greater degree of accuracy when pulling focus. In fact, many older lenses are being rehoused and sold to the filmmaking community for outrageous prices.

simply use one of those follow focus handle thingy. it makes focus a lot easier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Look, since you're after budget lenses that are very sharp, my recommendation is easy, and it's based on past experience. Get yourself a selection of Pentax lenses. Most of my experience has to do with older K-mount lenses, but I'll wager that the M42 Takumars are just as sharp, as are the later Pentax designs. Pentax has a reputation of designing scary sharp stuff. And you sure can't beat the average Pentax or Takumar's price, either, unless it's some sort of specialized optic. But lenses like a K-mount 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm can be picked up on eBay and elsewhere for very reasonable. For "elsewhere" I recommend you check in at the Pentax Forums and go to their buy/sell page. You might have to be a member to access the page, but so what if you aren't already? Join up.

Pentode recommended the Pentax M 100mm f/4 Macro. I can second this, although the one I have is an M42 SMC Tak 100mm f/4 macro. It is a very sharp lens. Same optical formula?

Often some of the cheaper optics, like a 28mm f/3.5 or a 135mm f/3.5 can be picked up for peanuts because they're a half-stop slower than the 2.8s. You can save a tidy sum and they are just as sharp if not more so even.

Thanks everyone.

This is primarily for a Super35 movie camera (yes, unusual I know) and not a 4K / HD camera.

35mm movie camera frame is 18.66mm x 24.89mm, about half the resolution of a traditional still camera frame. Imagine that tiny image being blown up to the size of a movie screen. Sharpness and MTF curves does matter. So much that the Zeiss Jena lenses were used instead of the expensive cinema lenses on the movie "The Master" so that the 35mm elements would cut with the 70mm version.

The Zenitar 1.7/50 is a great lead, especially for the price of 50-100 dollars on ebay.

M42 Takumars also seem very sharp. I will keep my eyes out for those, especially the Macro lenses as you mention.

Unfortunately the Zeiss 1.7/50 C/Y is not an option. C/Y can't be adapted into PL mount because of flange depth issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full frame 35mm movie is about 2k resolution, it just looks acceptable because you're viewing it from a long distance in a theatre, if you got in close, you'd see that it's pretty low res.

If you look at the lenses used in the pre-digital days, they were nothing special in the sharpness aspect, they didn't have to be because 35mm film stocks just couldn't record higher than a certain resolution, so as long as the lens could reach that resolution, you were maximising the possible sharpness. Even something like the humble 2.8/50 Tessar is capable of reaching that level of resolution.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sharp MF lens at a reasonable price Reply with quote

gazoo wrote:

I am looking at:

I shot the Pentax Medium Format 67 55mm f/4--very sharp indeed, on a crop sensor Pentax DSLR. I usually felt like a front line infantry man when out & about with it--got some strange looks, but really produced mighty sharp, beautiful photos. I got it cheap on Ebay, but then there was even less demand for Medium Format than there is now I suspect. I think many consider it one of the sharpest MF lenses, if not the sharpest--but I'm no expert. jt good luck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like to consider:

Leitz Summar 12cm f4.5 Close Range Large Format Lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikenon XR 50mm f/2 is a hidden gem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Rikenon XR 50mm f/2 is a hidden gem.

Agreed.
It also comes under the SEARS label
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about the pancake sized Rikenon XR?

I've got one and it's nothing special, but that might just be my copy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Are we talking about the pancake sized Rikenon XR?

I've got one and it's nothing special, but that might just be my copy.

Yes, it is small and kind of pancake-ish, about the size of a Nikon E series 50mm.
You might have a not so good copy Ian.
Mine went with a camera that I sold and I don't have it anymore, but the images were very good indeed.
Here is a sample

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking medium format lenses, anybody tried the Kipon Beveyes medium format to ff focal reducer?
I always had the impression that some medium format lenses (such as Mamiya 80mm f/1.9) have a very special thing in the transition to OOF that you don't get in ff. I wonder what you think and if that would work with this adapter? I read contradictory information on this (some people say that larger lenses of equivalent aperture don't have any benefit, other than the higher resolution of MF).