Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extreme postprocessing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Extreme postprocessing? Reply with quote

Normally, one would postprocess to correct this or that, to emphasize this or that, change perhaps the color scheme. Some time ago I decided to go still further, almost to the extreme. The finished product doesn't really work on the screen, it must be printed big, but a crop of one of the pictures may give you a rough idea.

First, a crop from the original photo taken with the VPK Meniscus:

and then something completely different, the same section transformed:

The result isn't a photograph anymore, the origin cannot be guessed anymore. The picture looks more like very meticulous abstract painting or a very fancy Chinese scenery carving seen from afar or whatever. I've done a number of these pictures, even so that I've gone out to take photos just to be used as raw material, looking at the colors of Nature and man-made things, thinking how they would be transformed. It is for me another way of learning to see.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind give us some technicalities?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do this kind of manipulations a lot in the past - I sometimes still do, but for some reason, I am more interested in the straight photography now, although I am not one of those purists who are against any software manipulations, I am open to any creative solution.

I know of a painter who does this kind of postwork and uses it as a source for making real paintings - she emulates with the paint on canvas the results she obtains with the postwork of photographs. I often thought about that myself as I am also a painter (somehow). I may try that someday.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Would you mind give us some technicalities?

Well, it is a rather complex process doing global transformations more or less intuitively. Sometimes it already starts when I'm walking around with my camera: I look around and try to see things transformed, I look at colour masses visualizing them in my mind from different directions and perspectives trying to see their hidden potential. I take some photos, open them in Gimp, maybe crop a little bit. Then I repeat following operations in some unpredetermined order trying to visualize the result two or three steps ahead in my mind: adjusting curves, upsampling, downsampling, and some vital GIMPressionist transformation, everything only globally. Most of the GIMPressionist filters have no artistic value per se, IMHO, they are just gimmicks as such, but some of them can produce worthwhile intermediate results when correctly applied. It isn't possble to define a filter which would automagically produce pleasing let alone artistic results from a photo. However, with only global transformations it is possible to produce results which even rather critical viewers do not dismiss as mere mechanical crap.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I used to do this kind of manipulations a lot in the past - I sometimes still do, but for some reason, I am more interested in the straight photography now, although I am not one of those purists who are against any software manipulations, I am open to any creative solution.

For me, it is also a learning tool for straight photography, a kind of ultra bokeh. It has tremendously developed my visual imagination, my ability to visualize various bokeh phenomena in my mind before even aiming the camera. If I was younger, I might try painting, but it would require a lot of self-discipline not to try to improve some details, to keep to the whole. Maybe after two years when I retire and hopefully have more time for patience...

Veijo