Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exposure problem with the Fujica ST 901
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Exposure problem with the Fujica ST 901 Reply with quote

Hi, I got my hands on a minty fresh Fujica ST901, really good condition.
The manual shutters are all correct, no corrosion in the battery compartment, the matte screen and mirror looks clean.

But the Auto function doesn't measure correctly, at all!
Sometimes it measures 1-20 seconds in bright sunshine, sometimes 200th.

I'm using a V4034 battery.
Can this be solved?

Thanks!
/ Richard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an original Fujinon lens attached or another? The metering only works with the Fuji M42 connection, these will transmit aperture value to the body.
Also check if the outer ring at the lensmount baseplate of the camera moves smoothly, this is the aperture communication ring, if it is sticky or has bad contact your camera will meter incorrect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Do you have an original Fujinon lens attached or another? The metering only works with the Fuji M42 connection, these will transmit aperture value to the body.
Also check if the outer ring at the lensmount baseplate of the camera moves smoothly, this is the aperture communication ring, if it is sticky or has bad contact your camera will meter incorrect.

I was using a Rodenstock at first, but now i changed to a compatible EBC Fujinon lens and it seems to be measuring more correctly! That's great Smile
But still, if I chose a composition and fire 3 shots on Auto the shutter will not be the same all three times, even if the LED measurement says so.
Often it just gets stuck on a second or two.. even if the LED says 500th.

The ring around the lens mount seems to be moving smoothly and springing back as it should, even if it's a bit wiggly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Exposure problem with the Fujica ST 901 Reply with quote

Guttan wrote:
Hi, I got my hands on a minty fresh Fujica ST901, really good condition.
The manual shutters are all correct, no corrosion in the battery compartment, the matte screen and mirror looks clean.

But the Auto function doesn't measure correctly, at all!
Sometimes it measures 1-20 seconds in bright sunshine, sometimes 200th.

I'm using a V4034 battery.
Can this be solved?

Thanks!
/ Richard

Hi Richard,

the battery's fine.

Set film speed
set shutter speed ring tae "Auto"
A half press on the shutter button shows shutter speed on the digital readout. Since the shutter speed is continuously variable, the readout shutter speed is an approximation around this. That's why ye see different shutter speeds even though the readout is unchanged.

e.g. if there's a "0" in the LED, that means too much light for the aperture and film speed, so ye choose a smaller aperture. If the LED shows 20 secs and still shows that even after opening up the aperture - that's not enough light, again, for the aperture/film speed setting. If the readout changes after opening the aperture then that 20 secs (or more) is a true reading and ye'll need a tripod or prop.

Again, none of these figures are actual speeds, they are a range of speeds around the one shown, due tae the continuously variable shutter speed. Since the shutter speed is automatic, ye can't change exposure directly, the way ye can on other ST models. There is, however, a +/-2 EV on either side of the "Auto" setting.

Make sure yer batteries are fresh. Ah used tae use silver oxide (6v) but now simply use alkaline. Ah get mine from http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/ in the UK, a high turnover so ah know they're always fresh. Cool

PS as said above ah'd also clean the camera mount and the rear of the lens (around and outside the thread) with iso alcohol on a cotton bud. Also ensure that the screws on the lens mount are firmly screwed in.
PPS Just had a thought...make sure that the stop down button is not engaged on the camera body?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly you should be able to use the exposure meter with other m42 lenses ( beside Fujinon), if you lock the depth of field button and take the exposure reading with the button locked. To lock the DoF button first you easily rotate it CW, press it and easily rotate it CCW (with the button pushed); it should remain pushed.
You should try it yourself as I don't have the ST 901 anymore; I remember my copy had an decalibrated exposure meter and never succeded to fully calibrate it. I've used the old minolta autometer (which I ussualy use with old film cameras) to take readings.