Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Expert 1:2.8 f=28mm Multi C 52ø (Tamron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Expert 1:2.8 f=28mm Multi C 52ø (Tamron) Reply with quote

Expert is a retailer chain and seem to have branded a handful of diff makers lenses. These conical looking ones with a window for aperture markings seems to be Tamron made. Have 28 2.8 and 300mm 5.6 (Tamron CT-300) versions but saw 'em in 135 and 35mm too.

28mm is quite a joy, sharp all over and very close focus.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some flare (or sensor reflection) on pic 2

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Expert 1:2.8 f=28mm Multi C 52ø (Tamron) Reply with quote

roglebk wrote:
Expert is a retailer chain and seem to have branded a handful of diff makers lenses. These conical looking ones with a window for aperture markings seems to be Tamron made. Have 28 2.8 and 300mm 5.6 (Tamron CT-300) versions but saw 'em in 135 and 35mm too.

28mm is quite a joy, sharp all over and very close focus.

I think these lenses were re-branded versions of the Tamron F-System line. They were sold here in the UK by the Dixons chain as Chinon MCL lenses.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "experts" seem to be mainly available in Europe - is that where you are roglebk ? Bengt Sandberg has reviewed some of them. They are indeed the same as the chinons. In any case quite classy and collectible items. I have the 300mm and the 35mm. The 300mm is congruent with the ct300 adaptall, same specs, dimensions etc. The 35mm however does not seem to have been sourced from tamron, tamron gave up on a 35mm focal length with the introduction of the adaptalls and this 35mm is optically distinct from the ones tamron did make. It's pretty good but not my best.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bengt is a fellow Swede, lots of Expert branded lenses for sale here. The 35mm looks identical to the 28mm Tamron but it might just be on outside. Chinon made all these for Tamron? Or did i miss something?

Here's the 35mm.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i got it, Tamron made and they were rebranded as Chinon too (maybe not the 35mm though).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roglebk wrote:
Yes, Bengt is a fellow Swede, lots of Expert branded lenses for sale here. The 35mm looks identical to the 28mm Tamron but it might just be on outside. Chinon made all these for Tamron? Or did i miss something?

Here's the 35mm.

Chinon is a little different as a brand; I'm not sure why they sometimes made their own lenses, sometimes bought in lenses from third part manufacturers. Chinon definitely had the capacity to make their own lenses, not from the start though; they started as a business making parts for other camera manufacturers like precision lens tubes. Later on, however they decided to make cameras and buy lenses from Tomioka before they were bought by Yashica, there might be others too, before they decided to start making their own lenses. One of Chinon's pet projects was making lenses for hobby film cameras, super-8, and the likes, and they offered the first zoom for the hobbyist, before that you usually had a turning plate with several focal lengths to choose from. They did however from time to time buy lenses from others.
Perhaps production capacity, I don't know.

But we can all agree that the conical lenses with a diamond-shaped rubber grip were made by Tamron.

The Expert chain of stores was a chain with stores all over Europe, Spain, Sweden but it was started by a man from Sweden, however, he wasn't based in Sweden.
They had at least three different periods with different looks of the lenses, or maybe that was depending on the sub-contractor making the lenses, but it also coincides with different look of the logo on lens caps and store fronts.
Here are some of the lenses I have gathered so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several different Expert 28mm f / 2.8, mine looks like this:
https://knytpunkt.com/bw/expert_mc_28.jpg
A very nice 28 IMHO.

I took it out for a walk a couple of days ago to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the day I bought it.
https://knytpunkt.com/bw.php (Click on the small images to the right so enlarge)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those expert lenses look like a mixed bag apart from the Chinon/Tamron ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a mixed bag, i.e Expert 28 f/2.8 could be Tamron, Sun, Cosina or Kino and propably some more supplier.
Expert bought and rebranded from multple suppliers and the only common denominator seems to be that it was Japanese lenses.