Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EXAKTA to EOS adapter from Alex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: EXAKTA to EOS adapter from Alex Reply with quote

Here is yet another new EXAKTA->EF adapter from Alex.

The left one is Alex's new adapter, two metal construction of brass, the right one is mine of aluminum one piece construction.
This adapter is solidly made, the lens is tightly mounted without fear of loosing (the both do not have mount stopper mechanism thou).

The new one is well made but a tad too thick to achieve infinity focus with my Biotar 58/2, though it does not affect too much for practical shooting and depending on your lens.
The new one has 1.02 mm +/- 0.05 whereas my old one has 0.74 mm +- 0.05 thickness.

This is a very sexy looking adapter, I am not sure adapter should have a sexy look or not, but certainly does not harm. Very Happy

Quick shots by my Biotar 58mm F2 with EOS 5D (both at F2.8 ) + new adapter (my lens has shutter button removed)

One more note, you cannot mount the older(?) style Exakta lenses with shutter button sticking from the lens body, you cannot mount on the adapter.
I tries another such lens Tessar 50/2.8, could not mount it because shutter button's base is a bit too thick to interfare with adapter's base.

Last edited by koji on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Koji, thanks for the report.

I own the one at the right and to me is too weak to put valuable zooms on it, I always think it's going to break, (Thin alu).
Regarding infinity, half of my Exakta lenses do not allow for the infinity focus with the right ona either...

I'll be ordering one from Alex.

Thanks again!.

Jes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesto, you are welcome. Very Happy

This adapter is well made, I do not think it is going to break with
hefty zoom lenses' weight.

Enjoy shooting with your Exakta lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji

Do you get infinity. I bought a previous version from ALex to use with my topcors, but I cannot get infinity. Locking and stability are also issues

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, I have only one Exakta lens to test. It cannot reach infinity focus,
but very close to it so practically no problem for me. YMMV

The longer FL lens may have a problem to reach infinity focus, though
I cannot comment for tele-lens. It is kinda sad to shave this beautifully
made adapter to shave!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Patrick, I have only one Exakta lens to test. It cannot reach infinity focus,
but very close to it so practically no problem for me. YMMV

The longer FL lens may have a problem to reach infinity focus, though
I cannot comment for tele-lens. It is kinda sad to shave this beautifully
made adapter to shave!

I have similar experience but with Exakta - Olympus adapter from Alex and other HK sellers. I found many lenses not adjusted well and no infinity even on genuine Exakta body. To be sure adapter or lens case problem check your lens if you can on genuine exakta body first.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Attila. As it happens I have an exakta lying around Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of Alex' Exakta-EOS adapters the same as Koji and would agree that it is nice and solid and well made. The only things I've noticed is that there's a tiny amount of sideways movement on every lens I fit it to and the Exakta mount lugs are showing a little bit of wear at the end although the EF mount lugs and security are fine. That said though, as this particular adapter is clearly meant to stay on the lens semi-permanently, I don't see the wear on the Exakta mount lugs as a problem and the sideways movement is negligible and unlikely to cause problems.

As a rough check on infinity focus, I used a Meyer Orestegor 4/200 and checked this lens on a couple of my Exakta bodies and a Bessaflex TM to make sure everything was good. I then mounted the lens on my EOS 3 and 5D using the Exakta-EOS adapter and compared it with what I saw through the Exakta and Bessie's VFs as I don't have any MF focus screens for either the 3 or the 5D.

Basically, if this adapter isn't quite achieving infinity focus, then it's certainly very very close to it based on my admittedly rough checks. Should I acquire a suitable focus screen for the EOS 3, I'll revisit this aspect.

Conclusion:

At the price Alex charges for it, it's certainly well worth a shot - it's cost-effective, well made and inspires confidence. You do have to use the locking screw though as the lens will likely detach itself when focusing if you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: EXAKTA to EOS adapter from Alex Reply with quote

koji wrote:
One more note, you cannot mount the older style Exakta lenses with shutter button sticking from the lens body, you cannot mount on the adapter.
I tries another such lens Tessar 50/2.8, could not mount it because shutter button's base is a bit too thick to interfare with adapter's base.

I just bought my first Exakta lens, a Biotar 75 and I'm looking for an adapter. Would the adapter fit on the back of this? I don't have the lens yet but I presume that is just a screw and not a shutter button.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: EXAKTA to EOS adapter from Alex Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
koji wrote:
One more note, you cannot mount the older style Exakta lenses with shutter button sticking from the lens body, you cannot mount on the adapter.

I just bought my first Exakta lens, a Biotar 75 and I'm looking for an adapter. Would the adapter fit on the back of this? I don't have the lens yet but I presume that is just a screw and not a shutter button.

Cheers!

Congratulations with your purchase and yes, it's just a screw that fits into the adapter. You won't have to remove anything to make it fit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: EXAKTA to EOS adapter from Alex Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
koji wrote:

Cheers!

Your Exakta lens wont need any surgery. My two Exakta lenses are both older type(?), shutter button extension
is stinking out from the lens body. Some lenses look like >

A) prevents the lens from mounting to any EXA->EOS adapter
B) interferes with the penta-prism housing of some cameras

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both!!!!