Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Eumig Eumigetta I camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Eumig Eumigetta I camera Reply with quote

I was looking for a "tube camera" and when I saw this going for $10 I bought it.
It uses 120 film. It is focus-able and has f stops from 5.6 to 22. However it only has one shutter speed and
I am not sure what that is. Sorry for grainy photos.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Eumigetta 1 from 1951 and the shutter speed is 1/50 sec. In total ca. 24.000 cameras (Eumigetta 1 and 2) have been produced until 1954.

Eumig was a quite innovative producer who built e.g. the first super8 underwater camera (Eumig Nautica 1979 watertight to 40 Meters without extra housing).

They produced radios, film cameras and projectors and in the end quite remarkable and unique HiFi components.
The company was founded in Vienna 1919 and closed down 1985.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that information about the shutter speed. I will put some film in it. It is a simple and very solidly built camera. The viewfinder is nice and bright.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, do you know if the dial on the left side of the lens is disabled for my version?
I can not budge it. Looks like it gives the opportunity to set the shutter to B. That would come in handy
if possible.
I have not found very much information about this camera in english.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
BTW, do you know if the dial on the left side of the lens is disabled for my version?
I can not budge it. Looks like it gives the opportunity to set the shutter to B. That would come in handy
if possible.
I have not found very much information about this camera in english.

That should work also on your version. Indeed it's alternatively switching to B. So actually it's 1/50 AND B.
The Eumigetta 2 is the more advanced version with some additional shutter speeds but as far as I've seen it's much more expensive on the used camera market.
Well, I am not surprised about the lack of English documentation. I don't think it has been exported that much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
That should work also on your version. Indeed it's alternatively switching to B. So actually it's 1/50 AND B.
The Eumigetta 2 is the more advanced version with some additional shutter speeds but as far as I've seen it's much more expensive on the used camera market.
Well, I am not surprised about the lack of English documentation. I don't think it has been exported that much.

Wow, that was quick! Thank you.
That's good news, I will apply some lighter fluid to it. Hope it is not broken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carefully moved it with help of some pliers and it worked.
Still impossible to move by hand though.
The rear of the lens looked clean, but I need to clean the front.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

That's fine.
I am already curios to see some pictures from this camera.

I would strongly recommend to use a tripod. 1/50 is rather slow and prone to shake blur.

Maybe I should add one to my collection for sentimental reasons too. Wink
They are easy to get in Austria for obvious reasons.

I think that was the last photo camera which has been developed and produced in Austria.

BTW, Eumig also developed a 35mm SLR in the 1950's but for cost/price reasons it was never produced. It would have been far too expensive compared to the competition from outside and the project was therefore stopped. The biggest problem of Eumig was that they produced everything in-house and didn't use cheaper parts from outside. That was good for the quality but bad for the final price. Their HiFi cassette tape recorder from the 1970's was most probably the best ever produced on earth. However, far too expensive for me at these times.
Finally that was also the reason why the went out of business. The cheap competition from outside was simply too strong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uddhava wrote:

That's fine.
I am already curios to see some pictures from this camera.

I would strongly recommend to use a tripod. 1/50 is rather slow and prone to shake blur.

Maybe I should add one to my collection for sentimental reasons too. Wink
They are easy to get in Austria for obvious reasons.

I think that was the last photo camera which has been developed and produced in Austria.

BTW, Eumig also developed a 35mm SLR in the 1950's but for cost/price reasons it was never produced. It would have been far too expensive compared to the competition from outside and the project was therefore stopped. The biggest problem of Eumig was that they produced everything in-house and didn't use cheaper parts from outside. That was good for the quality but bad for the final price. Their HiFi cassette tape recorder from the 1970's was most probably the best ever produced on earth. However, far too expensive for me at these times.
Finally that was also the reason why the went out of business. The cheap competition from outside was simply too strong.

Thanks for the advice and information.
I will clean it up and put some film in it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some photos with this camera.
You can find them here.
http://forum.mflenses.com/eumig-eumigetta-i-ilford-panf-plus-50-t73083.html