Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Equipment for sensor cleaning?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Equipment for sensor cleaning? Reply with quote

What can be used to clean the image sensor? I see there are huge price variations on such equipment on ebay. Is it possible, for example, to use a lens brush on the sensor, or will it damage it?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=sensor+cleaning&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

You can also find affordable alternatives to Arctic butterfly. Are these equally effective?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Micnova-Sensor-Cleaner-Static-Cleaning-Brush-w-LED-Lens-Pen-for-Cameras/182617910500?hash=item2a84e02ce4:g:V8cAAOSwBahVeWBe:rk:26:pf:0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which canera?

Fir Canon 5D classic I use Pec-Pad folded onto homemade thin cardboard spatula cut the width of the sensor with a drop of Eclipse lens cleaning fluid. After blowing the mirror box, flipping mirror several times to free hiding dust, prevent it flipping onto newly cleaned sensor.

I don't know what to use if filter has been removed from sensor. The filter is quite tough while the exposed sensor is quite delicate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blower brush won't work. The brush will inevitably have tiny particles of dirt that will clog the sensor orifices and the blower isn't strong enough to displace anything.

I use disposable brushes I bought from eBay. Something like these. For cleaning fluid I use alcohol. I swipe the sensor several times until I can no longer see any trace of contaminants -- examining the sensor with a loupe.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
A blower brush won't work. The brush will inevitably have tiny particles of dirt that will clog the sensor orifices and the blower isn't strong enough to displace anything.

I use disposable brushes I bought from eBay. Something like these. For cleaning fluid I use alcohol. I swipe the sensor several times until I can no longer see any trace of contaminants -- examining the sensor with a loupe.

Click here to see on Ebay

OK!
So you only use these swabs without using a brush such as the Arctic butterfly first in order to remove the sticky dust particles? Are you sure it will not scratch the sensor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
...The brush will inevitably have tiny particles of dirt that will clog the sensor orifices...

Laugh 1

Even if that is true it wouldn't affect the image would it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you may already know, but if you are using brushes, hold them up and waggle them through the air for a short period. It will build up a mild static charge and they will pick up and hold dust better.

I've not had cause so far to clean a sensor, but on lenses I use an artists brush set, sizes 2,4,6,8,10. I can't see it being any different for a sensor.