Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Epson top-of-the-line flatbed scanner?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Epson top-of-the-line flatbed scanner? Reply with quote

It is possible that my company might buy for me a new computer, dual core, that is both Macintosh and Windows bootable.

It this happen, I would like to buy for it a new scanner. I am happy with the Epson 4490, but I would like the extra quality step of the 4990 model.
I was just wondering if the 4990 is still the top of the line in Epson scanners, or if there is a better new model (I don't follow the scanner thing really).

Any info?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New MAC hmm congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
New MAC hmm congrats!

Not sure yet... my boss says this from time to time, it seems now it may come true, but until I have it on my desk, I will not say yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Seems you have typical boss ..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Laughing Seems you have typical boss ..

yeah... Confused

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio:

I believe Epson's current top line film scanners are the V750 Pro and V700.

http://www.epson.co.uk/scanners/epson_scanners.htm

Both capable of scanning 120 as well as 35mm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, these new scanners are to dream for. The 750 model gets close to Nikon's film scanner for quality:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V750/page_1.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And either one is a lot cheaper too....

One is on my shopping list. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Epson top-of-the-line flatbed scanner? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It is possible that my company might buy for me a new computer, dual core, that is both Macintosh and Windows bootable.

It this happen, I would like to buy for it a new scanner. I am happy with the Epson 4490, but I would like the extra quality step of the 4990 model.
I was just wondering if the 4990 is still the top of the line in Epson scanners, or if there is a better new model (I don't follow the scanner thing really).

Any info?

I can only say that I was able to see the output from a V700 from a member of the camera club. He used the liquid for his slide, as he had a problem getting a few scratches off. The liquied somehow eliminated the ability for the scanner to "see" those scratches.

My reaction to seeing the output? Shocked Thermonuclear Explosion! He kept expanding the size of the output on the monitor, and I kept waiting for "jaggies" to appear....it was a LONG wait!

So next came a print...the thing was so good that it knocked me off my feet, and left my shoes right where I had been standing.

Need I say more? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Larry:

The primary reason for the liquid based holder is to ensure as near possible perfect film flatness, but if it somehow 'fills in' scratches as well, that can only be a bonus.

One of these two scanners is definitely on the cards for me, although I would like to see how either handles Kodachromes and Velvia first.