Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

epson 3490
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: epson 3490 Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just got an offer for this scanner and I wanted to ask you how happy you are with this device.
Looks like there are drivers for windows 7!!! Which programs do you use to scan the negatives?

Regards
A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Epson 4490, which is not very different than the 3490.

The Epson software is ok, but I decided to buy VUESCAN, which I use on both windows 7 and 8 computers. I recommend 'The VueScan Bible' as a guide for setting up the scanner and workflow.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had (still have, but don't use it) a 3490 and was pleased enough with its output and the only reason I stopped using it was it was only good for 35mm negs. I replaced it with a 4490, which does 35mm and 120.
Been using Vuescan for years, along with the Epson software, which is ok for general purposes. Vuescan has the edge for getting the best out of them, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last two replies had bugger all in them, damn forum.

Go to epson.co.uk here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=58609&infoType=Downloads
The page will detect what system you are using and will offer the correct downloads. There are drivers and scan utility. Both are needed for this to work.

Vue Scan to me is extremely complicated and you must pay for the version that is needed for your purposes. The Epson will do a good job on its own. Consider VueScan an advanced option for the moment.

You must have the neg/slide holders, they not only hold the neg in position, they have markings on them that will make the scanner perform as it should, without it the scanner will not recognise the negs.

Of course it is essential that the lamp in the lid is working too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Go to epson.co.uk here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=58609&infoType=Downloads
The page will detect what system you are using and will offer the correct downloads. There are drivers and scan utility. Both are needed for this to work.

Vue Scan to me is extremely complicated and you must pay for the version that is needed for your purposes. The Epson will do a good job on its own. Consider VueScan an advanced option for the moment.

You must have the neg/slide holders, they not only hold the neg in position, they have markings on them that will make the scanner perform as it should, without it the scanner will not recognise the negs.

The scanner manual should be available on the Epson site too.

One of the reasons I choose Vuescan, it works with almost all flatbed scanners and is updated regularly if you buy the higher priced option. I decided it was worth it, I may upgrade my scanner someday. It is complicated, there are menus within menus. I bought the 'VueScan Bible', but there is a lot of info on the web. http://www.scantips.com/vuescan.html

Plus 1 on the negative/slide holders. They are expensive. I bought two extra 35mm so I could pre-load a whole roll of 35mm 36 exposure film. Sometimes I flatten the film in my home made contact printing frame for better scanning.

Yeah, if the lamp doesn't work, all bets are off.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Hi my copy arrived yesterday but it does not include the neg holders. Was not the neg holder included at the original device? At the ebay where I bought this scanner it was given as a negative film scanner but since the neg holders are not in the package I can not scan anything... Weird???

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not good. Check the listing, the part may have been left out of the package. Contact the seller. Hopefully you can return the scanner if not complete.

There is a Negative holder listed on EBAY here in the USA, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-Perfection-3490-Photo-OEM-Genuine-Slide-Negative-Holder-Used-but-Mint-/231297984685?pt=US_Scanner_Parts&hash=item35da6f28ad, but shipping is probably high.

Phil