Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Envoy Wide Angle 6x9 Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Envoy Wide Angle 6x9 Camera Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Have you posted more about the Envoy? If not, please do a presentation in the RF camera or equipment photos section, I'd be interested to see the camera and learn a bit more about it.

Smile The Envoy Wide Angle camera.
(Although it was marketed by Ilford, it is not to be confused with Ilford's own Envoy, which is a more conventional 6x6 box camera).

ENVOY WIDE ANGLE VIEW-1 by johnnyh4, on Flickr

This could almost be described as a (1950s) Box Camera, being fixed-focus, but with the additional capabilities of a wide-angle lens, 64mm by Taylor-Hobson, giving an acceptance view of 82deg on 6x9, and offering the choice of 120 roll film or individual plates.

The focus is optimised for 'middle-distance' work (specified d-o-f 10ft to 60ft at f11), with flash synchronisation provided for close-in work in low light. The lens opens up to f6.5, for view composition only when the ground-glass screen is in use.

I like this camera for architectural or landscape subjects; closing the aperture to f22 extends the d-o-f to infinity, but with some vignetting still evident. So for hand-held work a fast film and stopping well down is desirable.

Oh, and it (just) fits into a jacket pocket Smile .

ENVOY WIDE ANGLE VIEW-2 by johnnyh4, on Flickr

ENVOY WIDE ANGLE VIEW-3 by johnnyh4, on Flickr

Some other information from elsewhere is here (it is seen with a variety of shutters: Agilux, Epsilon, Synchro-Compur, ... The Taylor-Hobson lens, incorporating its own iris, just sits inside the host shutter; the iris of the host shutter is not used).

Gary Alexander
Photographic Memorabilia
PHOTO.NET Forums
(Ensign Cameras - A History)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a unique camera, one I've never seen or heard of before. Excellent! Thank you for presenting it.