Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Enter: stage focusing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Enter: stage focusing Reply with quote

http://photographeronbudget.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/macro-power-up-enter-stage-focusing.html

Salvaged a mono-axis custom-made stage out of a custom made rig originally used to photograph print sample to assess print heads.

Now it's horizontal and does macro photography.

Let me guys know what you think, ask any questions, and check out the other posts in the blog as well.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the completed kit with servo-motor controller and a controll box to get the stacking process automated?
I have a linear stage, some stepper motors, a Arduino microcontroller kit with stepping motor controller - and now need to build the mechanical connection. And to write the programm, and think about a simple user-interface - this is far more work, cause new to me.

What kind of user interface has your controller?

I have done some ~300 steps micro photography manualy:
move the stage some µm, mirror-pre-release, wait 5-10 seconds, exposure, and move again...
Now I want to this automated Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I wish! No this was a custom made job out of extruded aluminium. Even the stage was custom-made and is manual.

The original rig had a table-stand with a vertical bar. On the bar was mounted the light box, the power box, and the camera with its fixed lens. it was all made by a printers' manufacturer to provide the user with the means to inspect and monitor prints for ink spills. The focusing plane was the table, on which you would put the print, put the whole rig on top of, fine-focus and snap.

I wish I took pictures of the disassembly process. Might rebuild the whole thing just to take a picture of it.

Basically I got rid of the table stand, the right-angle triangle that held things upright, and a handle that enabled one to carry the heavy rig in one hand. All so I can plant it flat on a horizontal surface.

Stage movement is fine but manual. I took my first stacked photo as you described. 100 shots. Mirrorup/liveview, focus, wait, snap, etc. Not happy with the stack, so will post when I have something I am satisfied with.

It would be great if I could build a motorised one, which as you describe, is not rocket science. I have a friend who I'm sure would write the program for me. Is it expensive to get the parts?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingRoach wrote:
It would be great if I could build a motorised one, which as you describe, is not rocket science. I have a friend who I'm sure would write the program for me. Is it expensive to get the parts?

There are cheap Arduino sets complete with stepper motor. It is a small motor, at the moment I am not sure wheter it will work with my linear stage. If it works it would be relative cheap. The used micro stage was a bit more expensive on Ebay.
Likely I have to optimize my setup stage and camera mounting - or I need long wainting times between movement and expsoure.

It seems like the programming is doable for me, don´t want to ask my friends for that. Probably when I have a problem.
I made several 100 steps and more exposures, some went wrong. Afterwards I decided to go the automated way. Probably I find enought time this winter.