Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elmarit-R 24
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Elmarit-R 24 Reply with quote

Short evening walk in the field / forest near our house.

I liked the light very much.

Elmarit-R 24 / Sony Alpha 7II

best regards

Timo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Minolta's 24/2,8
One MC and the other MDI
Both have strong CA.

Has your Leica CA too?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Minolta's 24/2,8
One MC and the other MDI
Both have strong CA.

Has your Leica CA too?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not notice a large amount of CA´s at all, just a little bit especially in the corners.

best regards.

Timo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elmarit-R 24mm/F2.8 is the old Minolta computation (9/7) up to MD W.Rokkor 24mm/F2.8 (Version MD II). The last Minolta MD 24mm/F2.8 (Version MD III) is different (8/8 ) and far better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I have never compared the Elmarit-R 24 to any other 24mm lens.
But I would say this lens delivers quite good results.
It is incredible sharp in the center already wide open, contrast is high and stopped down to F11 even the corners on 35mm film / sensor are sharp.
It shows just one major weekness: When focussed on distant objects (infinity) this lens suffers from massive fieldcurvature which can only be compensated by stopping down and enhancing depth of field.
So I believe Minolta posterior computed lenses that performed more equal with sharper edges wide open but they never ever produced a lens that achieved the precision of the Leitz Elmarit with its high quality housing. So i suppose that this Leitz Elmarit-R 24 surpasses the quality of some newer Minolta designs because after years of use they may show some kind of decentering or so, which I have never seen on any Leitz lens.

Best regards.

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
So I believe Minolta posterior computed lenses that performed more equal with sharper edges wide open but they never ever produced a lens that achieved the precision of the Leitz Elmarit with its high quality housing. So i suppose that this Leitz Elmarit-R 24 surpasses the quality of some newer Minolta designs because after years of use they may show some kind of decentering or so, which I have never seen on any Leitz lens.

You should not forget that Minolta have produced whole lenses for Leitz which have been just rebranded and sold as "Leica-R". Don't underestimate Minolta, they even had their own glass factory for quality reasons.

However, I have several real Leitz (Leica-M) lenses myself and I'm a big fan of their quality as well. Nevertheless, I had already troubles with an older Elmar 90mm/F4 which went finally to the waste bin, as I was not able to repair it. I've replaced it with the Elmarit 90mm/F2.8 which works perfectly fine till date.

Obviously nobody is perfect, not even Leitz or Leica (how they are named nowadays).

Luckily I've never had any troubles with my Minolta lenses so far and I have many and very old ones as well.

Nevertheless, I cannot understand why Leitz stayed with the old version and didn't migrate to the better 24mm as well. Maybe it has something to do with the end of the partnership between Leitz and Minolta in the early 1980's. I don't really know.

BTW, my Minolta MD 24mm from apprx. 1981 works without CLA like new till date. No decentering or so....

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s an interesting question why they did not migrate to the newer desing....
Maybe it was because the cooperation was endet maybe it was to complicated.
The fact that the Elmarit-R 24 was in production till 2006 tells me that they thought it was good enough.
As far as I know most lenses from the Leitz / Minolta cooperation have been (re)assambled in Germany by Leitz itself with Minolta delivering the computation and in many cases the glass also.
By the way, during the late 90`s and the 2000´s the Leica zoom lenses where assembled by Kyocera..... but computated by Leica.

best regards

Timo