Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elgeet Cine Navitar 12/1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Elgeet Cine Navitar 12/1.2 Reply with quote

Just bought this lens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300975202951
Plan to use it on my Nikon V2 digital camera with a 1" sensor where it should give me the equivalent focal length and DOF of a 32.4mm/f3.24 on a full frame camera (while still having the light gathering benefits of an f1.2 lens)

Very excited and will be updating this post next week with pictures! If anyone has experience with this lens, I'd love to hear/see it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It is for 16 mm cine, covers approximately a 1/2" circle, with flange-to-film distance at infinity slightly less than 18 mm.

It stands out for one thing, seems to be the first lens in mass production with an aspherical element.

I've had one for decades, tried it out on a Super 8 Beaulieu, never used it. Not all that sharp wide open, t/stopped much slower than t/1.2. Also, and in this it is like every other example I've handled, the focus is very stiff. I'm sure stiff focus can be dealt with by cleaning and relubricating, but I never felt the need to use it so why bother?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that my camera has a sensor roughly S16 sized, I am very interested in seeing the results from such a lens... I would love to find a high quality fast S16 lens to try, but this one presented itself at a heavily discounted price to make it worth trying out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it wasn't apparent to me from these photos, but apparently the lens is missing the mount! Where you see the black end of the camera with a cap on it, there is no thread, no mount, nothing... I could tell from the photos that the camera was missing part of the exterior casing, but given that the lens has a cap at the end I assumed the mount was intact and was comfortable buying a bargain lens sold by someone with 100% positive feedback as "like new"

The lens is useless to me and the seller has responded by calling me a liar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the listing. The sellers 7th image is the tip off. No C-mount lens goes that deep into the camera body.

Point that out to the seller. If he refuses to take the lens back, open a case with eBay. If you need them, I can send you images of mine, which is complete.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have, he says he did his due diligence in the way he advertised the lens and has no obligation to compensate me. He claims he had a camera store evaluate the lens and that it has no flaws, that he never advertised it as coming with any mount, and he has no intention of refunding me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller is a weasel. Start a case now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200USD? Wow, that's a lot for an old c-mount. Look for cine cameras with lenses, you can buy them for a hell of a lot less.

Cosmicar/Pentax and Computar/Kowa c-mounts are good quality and easy to find, such as these 12mm Cosmicar/Pentax ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Machine-Vision-Pentax-Lenses-ref-H1214-M-12mm-1-1-4-0-25-1M-Mount-C-1-32-/171142517308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item27d8e3923c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AS NEW IN the BOX LOOKS UN-USED I RATE IT 9 ON A 10 SCALE....TAKE A LOOK AT THE MANY PHOTOS.

The 7th photo clearly shows the wear in the metal part. Ask for refund as you get a abused items with wear!

Always check the completed listing with the link below before paying a large sum for a lens you do not know.

http://mflenses.com/es.php

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Always check the completed listing with the link below before paying a large sum for a lens you do not know.

http://mflenses.com/es.php

+1

I paid 14.99ukp plus4.99 postage for a mint as new TT&H Pelotal 14mm a few days ago, so to me, that Elgeet is way, way overpriced.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His latest reply to me is to state that I am calling him name and as such he won't respond further. This was in response to my telling him that I shouldn't have to ask him if he mislabelled his listing, since he has such a good reputation, and that was the harshest part of my statement...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open a case asap. He sold you a 2 dollar piece of junk for 200usd and his attitude shows he knows what he did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't negotiate with the crook, start a case now. If you paid by PayPal, start PayPal and eBay cases. If you were an idiot and didn't pay by PayPal, start an eBay case.

Don't delay, don't let the seller hoick you around further, just drop the bomb. And don't send the lens back until eBay or PayPal has resolved your case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Don't negotiate with the crook, start a case now. If you paid by PayPal, start PayPal and eBay cases. If you were an idiot and didn't pay by PayPal, start an eBay case.

Don't delay, don't let the seller hoick you around further, just drop the bomb. And don't send the lens back until eBay or PayPal has resolved your case.

Can you do both? I started with ebay already, all communications have been within ebay's resolution center...

I have cited the experts here on this thread as proof of the issues with this lens.

I also included this photo, which shows that there is not a complete bottom to the lens, since this photo better illustrates that the lens doesn't even sit in the molded case properly... something that is not clear from his photos since the ones in the case have a false "lens cap" on and are from a distance....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon1User wrote:
danfromm wrote:

Can you do both? I started with ebay already, all communications have been within ebay's resolution center...

Yes. And if you pay your PayPal bill by credit card, when the credit card bill comes contest the charge. But don't delay. There are time limits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open a paypal case immediately. You may have to send it back with tracking, then enter the tracking number into Paypal, as soon as you enter that number, proving you sent it back, you get your refund.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paypal is tied to ebay, so it tells me I must go through ebay resolution which is "work it out"
The seller has called me a liar and a fraud and told me the christian god will judge me (I kid you not) but maintains that the lens he sold me is perfect and perfectly represented and that any expectation of something additional (since I pointed out that it is missing any capability of mounting to a camera, despite being designed to do so) is beyond the scope of his sale.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBay decided in the sellers favor!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask about appeal. Start a PayPal case. And, if you pay PayPal by credit card, prepare to protest the charge.

If you haven't done it and they are still up, capture and save all of the images posted with the listing. You'll need them.

I offered you a picture of a complete lens. You didn't take me up on it, instead relied on words from "experts" here. Sorry, but words on the Internet have little credibility.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I included a picture already which is why I didn't take you up on your offer but I did hope your willingness to do so would also have been good supporting evidence...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s a pitty you didn´t ask someone on the forum about this lens before buying it. I have seen this lens for sale several times and I could have told you that the mounting part is gone. Crying or Very sad

I lost a 200 dollar lens in the mail once, and I have bought several bad lenses too. This is a part of the "buying used lenses" game.

If I had been the seller I would have offered a full refund no matter what. This case is not about the listing being correct or not, but it´s about asking for a refund for a lens you can´t use. The seller is a real jerk IMHO. This guy doesn´t have pride at all...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes perhaps I should have known better and a simple comparison of two lenses does reveal that what is missing from the lens is a crucial functional element. I trusted the seller's rating and description to come to the conclusion that I was getting a good deal on a functional product.

Going back and forth in the dispute center, he made it clear that he had contacted ebay directly as a power seller to have them assist him, he claimed that a camera shop evaluated it which I have a suspicion they didn't (given that I contacted them and they don't recall seeing it come through their store and they do not provide appraisals nor allow others to use their reputation to warranty products), and he has gone off on me for lacking Christian values, calling me a liar and thief with buyers remorse...

And ultimately, eBay says I got everything that was pictured, and they stated that they will only refund a product that does not work. So I am left with the knowledge that eBay will not assign someone familiar with cameras to take a look at the pictures and confirm that this is a product that simply can't work. I have appealed...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they like my sense of humor... anyone want this one for parts?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331042818948

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did ebay decide in his favour? In my experience, in 99% of cases, they decide in favour of the buyer. You must have done something wrong in how you went about making the claim.

I still don't understand the pricing of that lens at 200usd, old c mount lenses are really common and just not that expensive.

Here's a Schneider Cinegon 10mm, I doubt it will go for half what that crappy Elgeet was:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schneider-Kreuznach-Cinegon-1-1-8-10-manuell-C-Mount-/380739666136?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item58a5da40d8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay states that he listed it "as is" and I had ample photos to decide whether or not to buy the item. They stated that if I had any doubts I should have contacted the seller prior to buying. Because I lost the dispute, I am not able to leave negative feedback, either.