Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elephanthead 900x600
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Elephanthead 900x600 Reply with quote

Here's a scan with the V700 of a Reala negative from the RB67.

This is one of my favorite alpine flowers, as the Elephanthead Pedicularis (Pedicularis groenlandica) is aptly named, right down to the trunk, skull, and ears of an elephant!

The accompanying flower is an Avens in full bloom. The red "bud like" flowers are the apex of blooming for this beautiful plant.

Normally, both plants thrive in the moist ground right after snowmelt.
The anomaly this year is that the Olympic Mountains received 165% of normal snowfall, thus inducing these bloom in September rather than mid-July!

This was taken in near darkness adjacent to a nice alpine lake that I'll show images of soon.

Elephanthead
Mamiya RB67 Pro-S, 180mm prime lens
Reala
f:4.5 @ 2 seconds
Unsharpened. Cropped only.

Last edited by Laurence on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice separation from the background, it lets you really appreciate the flower. Good work Larry (as usual) Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Very nice separation from the background, it lets you really appreciate the flower. Good work Larry (as usual) Smile

Thanks Orio. With the moderate telephoto of the 180mm (equivalent to 88mm in the 35mm camera world), it is really nice to be able to separate things out. The 4.5 aperture is actually wide open with the 180.

I posted because I love that flower; however, it loses so MUCH when bringing to the web that it is rather disconcerting. I'll tell you the original negative is tack sharp...even the output in full size on the monitor is much nicer than the web presentation.

Thanks as always for your comments.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
even the output in full size on the monitor is much nicer than the web presentation

As you posted in the oversized gallery, I was surprised to find a so small pic
but I could find the elephants trumps and appreciate this nice twins shots surrounded by a so smooth bokeh