Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EBC Fujinon 1.8/55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Thank you
It's a pity that we aren't talking about the 50mm f1.6.
It would be good to see a new thread on it showing off its excellence
Tom

Well, there are already enough examples from the 50/1.6 lens here in this forum.
However, I didn't see any direct comparison yet.
Therefore I was curios to find out and simply shared my experience for those who might be interested. That's all.
I've no plans to start another new thread.
Please ignore my previous posting if it's not of interest for you....

Please post a comparison if it pleases you to do so.
Many thanks
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different Fujinon 1.6 lenses m42 55mm/1.6 and X-fujinon 50mm 1.6

https://www.flickr.com/groups/m42_fujinon/discuss/72157676841905596/ I think the 55/1.6 is the more interesting one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/m42_fujinon/discuss/72157676841905596/ I think the 55/1.6 is the more interesting one.

Indeed, I have them all. BTW, the 55mm/1.6 is available in AX mount as well.
In my quick comparison done earlier today I didn't see much difference btw. the two 55mm versions but on FF with the 50mm/1.6 the corners are visibly better when comparing same apertures.
Most probably on APSC or even MFT not important at all. I've compared the 55 and 50mm F1.6 lenses some time ago on APSC and didn't see much difference.
As always FF is most challenging.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Indeed, I have them all. BTW, the 55mm/1.6 is available in AX mount as well.
In my quick comparison done earlier today I didn't see much difference btw. the two 55mm versions but on FF with the 50mm/1.6 the corners are visibly better when comparing same apertures.
Most probably on APSC or even MFT not important at all. I've compared the 55 and 50mm F1.6 lenses some time ago on APSC and didn't see much difference.
As always FF is most challenging.....

It seems there are even different 55mm f1.6 versions.

AX-mount
This one is marked DM (does anybody know what it stands for?).

M42 mount not DM

But can be found in x-mount too

The m42 version is probably the 5 element four group one. Looks more like the 55/2.2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

DM is on AX mount only and stands for the automatic metering modes like the program modes (shutter and aperture preferred) with the AX-5.
Most probably "Dual Metering".

The 55mm lens both in AX and M42 is a 5/4 design and the newer 50mm version is 6/6.

IMHO the best Fujinon option is the 50/1.2 in AX only which is a 7/7 design (available as Porst UMC as well).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Yes, it is full of capability.

You should try it extended for macro at f/16 with a flash. I got results that were mind-blowing with one of mine (which is how I ended up with seven of them). I only found one other one that was as good as the first.

Incidentally, the two best were an old one with the silver aperture ring and an EBC.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Yes, it is full of capability.

You should try it extended for macro at f/16 with a flash. I got results that were mind-blowing with one of mine (which is how I ended up with seven of them). I only found one other one that was as good as the first.

Incidentally, the two best were an old one with the silver aperture ring and an EBC.

Thank you
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

DM is on AX mount only and stands for the automatic metering modes like the program modes (shutter and aperture preferred) with the AX-5.
Most probably "Dual Metering".

The 55mm lens both in AX and M42 is a 5/4 design and the newer 50mm version is 6/6.

IMHO the best Fujinon option is the 50/1.2 in AX only which is a 7/7 design (available as Porst UMC as well).

I actually have all of them (1.2 is named Porst) and my favourite is the simpliest of them X-Fujinon 55mm f1.6/ The bokeh is a bit busy but sometimes it brings some interesting effects. Mechanically it also feels a bit sturdier that the 50mm little brother.
There are also versions with EBC marking and without it, if I remember correctly.

I order to get back to the topic: has anybody compared Fujinon 55mm f1.8 with Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f1.8? I have the later but do not have the former.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
has anybody compared Fujinon 55mm f1.8 with Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f1.8?

It depends on what you mean by "compared." I haven't done any side-by-side pixel peeping or anything like that, but I have several copies of both and I've done a fair amount of shooting with them.

The Fujinon is all about vibrant color, sharpness with the aperture stopped down, and distinctive Fujinon bokeh. Whether or not you like it will be a matter of taste. Personally I like it a lot. The color rendition of the old Fujinons has to be seen to be appreciated.

The Mamiya/Sekor (rumored to be a Tomioka design, not that it matters) is just an excellent all-around lens. For some reason I like the f/4 portraits I've gotten with it the best when compared to its competitors. It's the same lens as the all-silver Auto Yashinon 5.5cm f/1.8, FWIW. I know because I've taken them apart and the elements are interchangeable, even though the housing of the rear group is slightly different.

Between them (and the 55mm f/1.8 Takumar, too), I really wouldn't presume to recommend one over the other. I think your preference is going to come down to your subjective taste and also (not to be discounted) sample variation. If you get a good copy of any of them, it's probably going to outperform an average copy of any of the others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Manichaean wrote:

It depends on what you mean by "compared." I haven't done any side-by-side pixel peeping or anything like that, but I have several copies of both and I've done a fair amount of shooting with them.

The Fujinon is all about vibrant color, sharpness with the aperture stopped down, and distinctive Fujinon bokeh. Whether or not you like it will be a matter of taste. Personally I like it a lot. The color rendition of the old Fujinons has to be seen to be appreciated.

The Mamiya/Sekor (rumored to be a Tomioka design, not that it matters) is just an excellent all-around lens. For some reason I like the f/4 portraits I've gotten with it the best when compared to its competitors. It's the same lens as the all-silver Auto Yashinon 5.5cm f/1.8, FWIW. I know because I've taken them apart and the elements are interchangeable, even though the housing of the rear group is slightly different.

Between them (and the 55mm f/1.8 Takumar, too), I really wouldn't presume to recommend one over the other. I think your preference is going to come down to your subjective taste and also (not to be discounted) sample variation. If you get a good copy of any of them, it's probably going to outperform an average copy of any of the others.

The Fujinon 55/1.8 and Mamiya Sekor (the SX; is that the one you mean?) 55/1.8 were both in a recent test I did: http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiyas-and-other-standard-lenses-compared-t83168.html

It's a somewhat limited test of course, but the included Mamiya's all did pretty good. I recently tried out the Mamiya SX 55/1.8 'in real life' and I found the image quality very good. Best Mamiya lens that I’ve tried IMO : Mamiya EF 50/1.7.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
KEO wrote:
Manichaean wrote:

The Fujinon 55/1.8 and Mamiya Sekor (the SX; is that the one you mean?) 55/1.8 were both in a recent test I did: http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiyas-and-other-standard-lenses-compared-t83168.html

It's a somewhat limited test of course, but the included Mamiya's all did pretty good. I recently tried out the Mamiya SX 55/1.8 'in real life' and I found the image quality very good. Best Mamiya lens that I’ve tried IMO : Mamiya EF 50/1.7.

Yes, I meant the SX version. I recently got one and was quite pleased by its rendering. I generally avoid M42 lenses due to possible issues with unscrewing when focusing, but this one I liked. I also have Mamiya E 50mm f1.7 - is it the same oiptical formula as the EF version? I also have some Fujinons in AX-mount, so was thinking to try the M42 one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
KEO wrote:
Manichaean wrote:

Yes, I meant the SX version. I recently got one and was quite pleased by its rendering. I generally avoid M42 lenses due to possible issues with unscrewing when focusing, but this one I liked. I also have Mamiya E 50mm f1.7 - is it the same oiptical formula as the EF version? I also have some Fujinons in AX-mount, so was thinking to try the M42 one.

Yeah, the E and EF should be the same. All Mamiya standard lenses I tried up till now are pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good results , nice shots , congrats !
I have the 1.6 variant , a nice lens also .