Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Ebay prices.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now even this: http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/kodak-revives-ektachrome-100-color-reversal-film-ces-2017/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="marcusBMG"]He would describe these as "for"canon, nikon etc even when he was simply bundling an M42 mount lens with a cheap adapter which for nikon wouldn't focus to infinity. What amazed me was how he did manage to sell, even in spite of his mediocre descriptions and pics. There is a market out there.

[/quote]

I have seen this as well with a German seller where people essentially gave him $50 or $100 over the real price for the all in one package and the nice description full of wonders. I think he at least included an adaptor unlike the other slimebags with their "also for DSLR" (... with an adapter that costs $50.. not included) .

What galled me about this seller was the absolute hyperbole about a simple wundertüte-type lens, also he had the gall to sell a crappy TC with markup, if you ever tried TCing a /8 lens to start with you know this is rarely a good idea.

Another "clever" guy sold Minolta 5D and 7D which are nice cameras but not even SLRs as "professional" or whatever adjective he used.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there can be a fine line between a creatively written yet comprehensive description and hyperbole. I try to shoot for the former, although with some items I feel really enthusiastic about I may tread lightly, albeit unintentionally, on the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess you can say that a good marketing technique sells better than just listing the specifications of the product.

Whether that is a good thing or not remains in the eye of the beholder..... i myself am not impressible for commercial/promotional talk. But most people certainly are, if they weren't we would not have all those annoying tv commercials.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread addresses many questions I've had. I seem to have some things in common with cooltouch.

I reactivated my photo hobby last spring (2016) and--am I wrong?--it seems prices have gone up since then on manual focus lenses. It seems that I have the fortune of living in a good buyers' market here in Sweden (except for Leicas and Hasselblads). This spring and summer I found several amazing packages (inherited or estate sell-out) with cameras and lenses. Just since then, it seems I'm seeing more and more MF camera bodies without lenses and more lenses selling separately (sometimes with adapter) at prices higher than before with both body and lens--often with accessories. I've come into the same situation cooltouch describes: too many lenses, indecision about which ones to keep and too many bodies without the lenses that would help sell them.

As for selling, I've managed to resell 21 manual-focus cameras since Spring 2016. I clean up, replace seals, post decent photos and give a complete description with photos taken with actual lens and sell on a popular, national sell/buy webpage. Most of the other sellers post poor, minimal descriptions and almost useless photos that give no confidence. Often it's "Know nothing about cameras. The shutter seems to work. Untested with film. As is. No guarantees." I usually buy from the popular Swedish auction site and have got some incredible bargains but have been shafted a couple of times.

Ebay has provided me with NEX adapters at much lower prices than locally. But the Ebay prices for the other items I usually buy are much higher, often two or three times higher compared with locally. But Ebay has much broader offering. I bought a mid-1960s German Kodak Retina Reflex IV on an Ebay best offer at only a little less than Collectiblend listings and values based on tracking Ebay for a while, simply because I wanted to be sure to get one that worked. A Rodenstock Retina-Heligon 50mm/1.9 I bought locally this past summer has been listed at Buy Now on Ebay for $400-900--definitely more than I paid. Does anyone here know if those prices are anywhere close to real? If so, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and trying to sell it on Ebay. Just cautious about the potential hassles of selling abroad.

Main question: Have real demand and actual buying prices for quality manual-focus lenses really gone up during 2016? Or is just perception that perhaps is being manipulated as discussed above?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadidiz wrote:

Main question: Have real demand and actual buying prices for quality manual-focus lenses really gone up during 2016? Or is just perception that perhaps is being manipulated as discussed above?

Worldwide maybe. I get good prices through Catawiki auctions. I test and clean the gear and make extensive descriptions and more than enough good photos of the items.
Most of my sales go to Italy, Belgium, France, Spain. I live in the Netherlands.

The local dutch market has become a disaster. Where it was easy to sell Jena Sonnar, Meyer Orestor and the many brandnames 1.4/55 lens, Canon and Minolta lenses (just some examples), these have become practically impossible to sell. I could sell them, but at very low prices, no more than around 20 euros. Even my Vivitar 1.9/28 gets a highest offer of 25 euros.......

So what is happening? I have no idea.... a used Oly Mju-II gets offers of 80 + euros within 24 hours, if i had 5 they'd all be gone now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, TrueLoveOne. Interesting to hear another North European perspective. I haven't tried Catawiki; will check it out. I see higher prices in Germany and sometimes in the USA. Are those good markets to sell to? I look at KEH prices and even their offers for used photo equipment. Since the dollar is so high, I'm thinking of packing some of the stuff they're looking for, getting on a plane and doing some trading.

Since I'm collecting a Canon FD lens system, I've found that I can sell Canon AE-1s, AE-1 Ps and Canon A-1s for a reasonable value-added profit after I've tested, cleaned, etc. like you describe. And the user usually gets a camera kit that inspires confidence (they can be reasonably sure of the condition) for less than the "world-market" value--whatever that is. But it seems matching with a 50mm standard lens is a requirement. And it might take up to two months for the right buyer to find it. Usually only one or two respond.

The more-respected Nikons--such as the F, F2, F3, FE, FE2, FM2, FA, FM3A--usually sell more quickly, also dependent on matching Nikkor optics. Minolta, Konica and other equipment don't sell as quickly. Sometimes my ads for those have run out without me continuing.

Regarding Canon FD lenses: I need about three Canon FD or FDn 50mm/1.8 lenses to go with some A-series bodies I need to sell. The going price (seen in shop) is around €60. Any suggestions? Also, do you find it works to package an SLR with a decent zoom lens instead of a standard prime +/-50mm?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to hear how it works from another country!

Like you i am trying to get my Minolta and Konica collection (close to) complete. I tend to buy sets, much cheaper, people often do not know what they're selling and by reselling the items i do not need i most often manage to cover the expenses on my own collection.

Nikon: i stay away from them. I still have to get the first properly working body in my hands and operating their lenses just feels cheap! All have had issues, to me it is an overrated brand, expensive junk through good marketing. Olympus and Pentax gear is good for it's quality and resale value, i do like to play around with all kinds of different stuff but i usually end up selling it again. It's a hobby i guess! Wink

You need a bit of patience i think, in the end you only need one interested buyer!

For Canon FD gear: try www.marktplaats.nl , look at these 2 sections:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/z/audio-tv-en-foto/fotografie-camera-s-analoog.html?categoryId=480
http://www.marktplaats.nl/z/audio-tv-en-foto/fotografie-lenzen-en-objectieven.html?categoryId=495
If you need any help with the dutch, let me know!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadidiz wrote:

Ebay has provided me with NEX adapters at much lower prices than locally. But the Ebay prices for the other items I usually buy are much higher, often two or three times higher compared with locally. But Ebay has much broader offering. I bought a mid-1960s German Kodak Retina Reflex IV on an Ebay best offer at only a little less than Collectiblend listings and values based on tracking Ebay for a while, simply because I wanted to be sure to get one that worked. A Rodenstock Retina-Heligon 50mm/1.9 I bought locally this past summer has been listed at Buy Now on Ebay for $400-900--definitely more than I paid. Does anyone here know if those prices are anywhere close to real? If so, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and trying to sell it on Ebay. Just cautious about the potential hassles of selling abroad.

Well, fortunately you can track prices on eBay. When viewing listings, scroll down. In the left side column find "Show only" where you can select "Completed listings," which show both sold and unsold items, or "Sold listings", which show sold items only.

This will give you a good feel for real prices that items are selling for. Don't be surprised to find that some folks pay these high prices. I consider them to be either inexperienced or in a hurry. Or they have more money then sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Nikon: i stay away from them. I still have to get the first properly working body in my hands and operating their lenses just feels cheap! All have had issues, to me it is an overrated brand, expensive junk through good marketing. Olympus and Pentax gear is good for it's quality...

I can't say I agree 100%. Yes, Nikon has its stinkers - I'm always wary of FE/FE2 and give them no more than 50/50 chance of working, and like 4 out of 5 lenses need a lube job, but they are not that different from other brands in that regard. What about Pentax MX which somehow always has damage in the flash bracket area, or ME Super with its questionable wind mechanism, or OM-4/OM-2s with their unquestionable wind mechanism or OM-1's with desilvering prisms, or Minolta SRT's with unglued metering sensor, or XD's with broken tabs on the receiving spool, or Canon Squeak. And lenses, don't get me started about lenses, I could tell you stories that could make you cry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, every brand has it's defects. But in percentages Nikon is the worst. Plus the defects are often too expensive or to complex to repair. A camera with a minor defect can often still be used. Maybe i just have bad luck with Nikons... even the few digitals i had sucked.
Yes, i know about lenses as well.... i had and still have many.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, fortunately you can track prices on eBay.

It's less useful now since it shows only the previous three months-worth; it used to be a year IIRC.

I have the feeling that it's seasonal: interest peaks in spring to early summer. That's the time to sell as auctions (or before Christmas if it's something that could be given as a gift), otherwise Buy-it-Now is probably your best option.

As a buyer, my best time for bargains has typically been mid-December to early January - the expected competing bidders have their minds (or money) elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-rageQuit- wrote:
I have the feeling that it's seasonal: interest peaks in spring to early summer. That's the time to sell as auctions (or before Christmas if it's something that could be given as a gift), otherwise Buy-it-Now is probably your best option.

As a buyer, my best time for bargains has typically been mid-December to early January - the expected competing bidders have their minds (or money) elsewhere.

As I've mentioned before, I mostly sell using BINs now, but if I don't list them as BIN with obo, I'll seldom make a sale.

As a buyer, I find the best time is when people aren't spending money. In the USA, this is typically from January to April 15th. In January, people are broke after overspending on Christmas and after that, they're setting funds aside to pay taxes that are due by April 15th. Once tax day's past people tend to drift back to normal spending behaviors. So, anyway, when people aren't spending money, auctions are easier to win at good prices, and sellers who have BINs with obos are more likely to entertain my offers. Some of my best eBay deals were bought during this time "window."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it intelligently at the best price you can at auction, clean and restore it properly and then explain what you have done along with first class pictures and an honest description of final sale condition. That is what has to happen in order to reflect and establish a correct selling price. If there are no takers, it can mean that you have overpriced your time to get the item to market, but, to be on sale in the condition you state it is in, should not be subject to an auction system,

No one should auction their time and skill to strangers for an unknown price, that is just stupid.

It is all down to what your time is valued at by you and how you present what you do with it.

Time is money and both are easy to waste.

Of course you then get into confidence Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
...Nikon: i stay away from them. I still have to get the first properly working body in my hands and operating their lenses just feels cheap! All have had issues, to me it is an overrated brand, expensive junk through good marketing. Olympus and Pentax gear is good for it's quality and resale value, i do like to play around with all kinds of different stuff but i usually end up selling it again. It's a hobby i guess! Wink ....

I find your perspective interesting. And I mean in no way to take away from your experience, because it is yours. As a Nikon user, I however, have found myself very pleased with my experience with used, older lenses and gear. I have more limited experience with 35mm cameras by Nikon as I have only ever owned a few (and they keep on keepin' on). Nevertheless, I always point friends to Nikon when they are exploring a system to buy into, if not solely because they can get some excellent optics so inexpensively which will still work with their digital systems. This obviously has changed with mirrorless technology, but even then, using adapters is not quite the same experience and people aren't all the same. I'm thinking of some of my friends who are in the boat of knowing what kind of images they want to make (based on what they've seen and liked), but can't pony up the big bucks for super fast, pro lenses quite yet. Nikon seems to give them a solid DSLR, with linkage to some great, fast, albeit manual focus lenses, that they can use from day one, fairly easily. I haven't really found this anywhere else except Pentax but Pentax has little representation in my area and the lenses aren't quite as plentiful as Nikon. The mirrorless options are a bit more involved requiring adapters and some knowledge of how camera systems work. I think these reasons, even if they're only BARELY more advantageous for the user, have perhaps helped Nikon equipment to maintain a bit more of a premium over other brands. Just a personal hypothesis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:

I find your perspective interesting. And I mean in no way to take away from your experience, because it is yours. As a Nikon user, I however, have found myself very pleased with my experience with used, older lenses and gear. I have more limited experience with 35mm cameras by Nikon as I have only ever owned a few (and they keep on keepin' on). Nevertheless, I always point friends to Nikon when they are exploring a system to buy into, if not solely because they can get some excellent optics so inexpensively which will still work with their digital systems. This obviously has changed with mirrorless technology, but even then, using adapters is not quite the same experience and people aren't all the same. I'm thinking of some of my friends who are in the boat of knowing what kind of images they want to make (based on what they've seen and liked), but can't pony up the big bucks for super fast, pro lenses quite yet. Nikon seems to give them a solid DSLR, with linkage to some great, fast, albeit manual focus lenses, that they can use from day one, fairly easily. I haven't really found this anywhere else except Pentax but Pentax has little representation in my area and the lenses aren't quite as plentiful as Nikon. The mirrorless options are a bit more involved requiring adapters and some knowledge of how camera systems work. I think these reasons, even if they're only BARELY more advantageous for the user, have perhaps helped Nikon equipment to maintain a bit more of a premium over other brands. Just a personal hypothesis.

Well, to each their own of course. And that is why i point everyone who asks me towards Canon. I shoot full-frame Canon with L-lenses and am very, very pleased. Our daughter started with a Sony DSLR and now switched to Canon as well, she's using a 50D crop DSLR. Needless to say: she's very pleased!

Buying camera gear is like buying cars: i'd never ever buy a VW and others do not want anything else! We all have our reasons i guess!

quick edit: Nikon is not very flexible when it comes to adapting lenses. You can't even mount an M42 lens on a Nikon DSLR (or with a corrected optical adapter, but who wants that?). Canon is much more versatile. So if you're looking for a system that allows you the freedom of using different old manual glass, you simply can't buy Nikon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Nikon is not very flexible when it comes to adapting lenses. You can't even mount an M42 lens on a Nikon DSLR (or with a corrected optical adapter, but who wants that?). Canon is much more versatile. So if you're looking for a system that allows you the freedom of using different old manual glass, you simply can't buy Nikon.

Nikon has 50+ years worth of glass for F-mount and (with a proper setup) allows you to shoot in aperture priority and has a decent focus indicator. So, I keep a couple of Nikon bodies just to shoot Nikon MF glass.

Last edited by Gardener on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes you can buy Nikon if you want to use MF gear -- but you're just stuck with buying Nikon-mount lenses. Worse things can happen.

But I agree with you about Canon. My first (and so far only) DSLR was a crop-body Canon, and I have really enjoyed its flexibility when it comes to using other system lenses. Although I use mostly Nikon MF with my DSLR. I have mount adapters for Pentax K and M42, but I seldom use them because my largest lens collection -- besides Canon FD and Tamron -- is Nikon. As I wrote above, worse things can happen. I also use a Nikon Adaptall-2 mount and Nikon adapter for all my Tamron lenses. So, in addition to the EF-mount lenses I own, that's over two dozen lenses I can use with my Canon. Not too bad. Not bad at all, really.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have noticed the prices going up. I've even considered selling some lenses to get the rarer ones i'm looking for. Thus far, I have held off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
I also have noticed the prices going up. I've even considered selling some lenses to get the rarer ones i'm looking for. Thus far, I have held off.

People are gearing up for Ektachrome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
And now even this: http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/kodak-revives-ektachrome-100-color-reversal-film-ces-2017/

Great film. In the 1960's I used to develop my own.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Great film. In the 1960's I used to develop my own.

These days, it is most economic to develop your own again. It isn't that difficult to do, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not regret ebay's prices too much. At least here in Northern Italy so called flea markets have rip off prices. Just on last unday I was offered a petri rangefinder with 40mm 2.8 from the seventies, unknown conditios, for one hundred euros. Not to mention seeing elsewhere zenit 122 or older going beyond the 100 euro mark.

I can excuse the ignorance of the sellers as they specialize in home furniture and used dresses, but their policy of asking 50% of the sales on consignements must mean something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghomofaber wrote:
Do not regret ebay's prices too much. At least here in Northern Italy so called flea markets have rip off prices.

Now i understand why a lot of my catawiki auction sales go to Italy! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices of some soviet era lenses have been rising for the past a few years especially some cine optics, and lenses such as Jupiter-3,9, and perhaps Jupiter-8s, even early silver Helios 44s.