Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EBAY, nasty sellers to avoid.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Second i will be a bit discriminative to Italians here. I am under impression Ebay market is treated as third rate business there. Ordered 3 times, described as nice condition, package always smelled of fungus even before opened. On the other hand German sellers 99% superb (to compensate my statement a bit Smile.

You don't know it I guess Italy have two type of people Northern and Southern , Northern like Germans .... If you order something nice to ask first our Italian member about seller location.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for suggestion Atilla. I'll do that if time until auction end permits Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, check this guy out. He's got a 100% feedback so far, but I find this ad very deceptive:

Ebay ID: chief1120
Click here to see on Ebay

All right, here's the problem. There are actually three versions similar to this Hartblei 45mm f3.5 lens. Here's how they break down:

PCS: This is a Shift lens. Can shift 12mm, with the shift mechanism rotating 360 degrees with detents at, I believe 15˚

TS-PC: This is a Tilt/Shift lens. Can shift 12mm, shift mechanism rotates 360 degrees, can tilt 8˚, but the tilt direction is fixed, to "Down".

Super-Rotator: This is the top of the line Tilt/Shift lens, both the shift and tilt mechanisms can rotate 360˚, independent of each other, so you can see it has great flexibility. It really is like having a small view camera.

Now, as you can see, the the title of the ad says "Super Rotator" at the end, but the lens itself is the TS-PC version. I.e., the tilt mechanism won't rotate. When these lenses first came out, the TS-PC version was $600 or so and the Super Rotator was $950 or so. So you can see how it's deceptive to advertise the TS-PC version as the Super Rotator in the title of the ad.

I contacted the seller, and here's our correspondence:

From me to him:
Quote:
Dear chief1120,
Hi, just wanted to tell you that the title is deceptive. This is, like you say, the TS-PC version of the lens, not the "Super Rotator" version of the lens, which would let you rotate *both* the shift *and* the tilt angles. The original retail price for the TS-PC was $650 and the Super-Rot was $1000, so you can see how that confusion can be problematic.

Here's his reply:
Quote:
Dear ciguatera303,

Thank you. Yes, I know that this isn't the Super Rotator... but that assists shoppers to find it in the search function. The body of the auction clearly describes it as the TS-PC.

- chief1120

To which I replied:
Quote:
Dear chief1120,

Yeah, but you don't do a good job of explaining how this
is NOT the Super Rotator. You even compare it to an
actual *new* Super Rot. People who are looking for the
Super-Rot might very well not know what the TS-PC
version is, and buy it thinking it's the Super Rot. I know
this because *I* have done the same in the past. The
seller didn't even know the difference. You should explain
in your description how it's different and that your lens is
NOT the Super Rot, and that the tilt direction will NOT
rotate. That's just being a good honest seller.

- ciguatera303

He has not answered back, and he has not changed the title, and he has no added anything in the item description to make it explicitly clear that it's not the Super Rotator. He *did* change one line. Check it out:

Quote:
I will guarantee this lens to be "as described" or your money back.

So, basically, my guess is that if somebody bids up to a price higher that he would've thinking it's the Super Rotator and gets back to him, he's going to respond that "In the description I made it clear it was the TS-PC".

The problem is, you'd have to be a tilt/shift crazy like me to know the difference! And, like I said in the correspondence, I've made the same mistake before (and so did the seller). That transaction ended well, because the seller, after realizing his mistake, refunded 1/3 of the money I paid, acknowledging that the original price was 33% cheaper for the TS-PC version. I don't see this seller being that reasonable, especially after seeing how he added that one line, but didn't do anything to clarify his misleading ad.

I will put him under the "douchebag" seller list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: bad ebayer samsamsamuelpun Reply with quote

ebay name samsamsamuelpun

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/samsamsamuelpun/

This guy is a D'head. won the bid but never paid. in my confusion with loads of gear being sent I posted it off before he paid and even gave him good feedback (got him mixed up with someone else) . I know its my own stupid fault for not being organised but a heads up for anyone else who may have dealings with him. Based in Hong Kong so I am out of pocket for postage + I have lost my Varex IIB and pancolar lens. Hes bought a few camera bits so watch for him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This guy is a D'head. won the bid but never paid

Bit harsh, how many days passed that he did not pay?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Bit harsh, how many days passed that he did not pay?

A look at his feedback shows that the auction ended on 23rd September, and he got an Exakta VIIb with lens and case for a bid of £15, so little it was not worth being dishonest about. I think the seller has reason to feel aggrieved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Avoid - ignorant AND rude! Reply with quote

Sent polite message pointing out the pictures were for the standard FD 1.8 / 85mm and not the SSC BL version as his auction claimed. Got a response that is unprintable!

Obviously does not give a shit about honesty?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoid - ignorant AND rude! Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Sent polite message pointing out the pictures were for the standard FD 1.8 / 85mm and not the SSC BL version as his auction claimed. Got a response that is unprintable!

Similar situation with my Hartblei example.

What I really don't understand is how sellers like this can maintain such a high rating. If I received something that is clearly different from what the listing mentions clearly in the title, then there's no way I'd give a positive feedback.

Maybe it just pays for them to be dishonest all the time, but to make sure to be "nice" (offer full refund etc.), when the buyer makes a fuss. Maybe 80% of the time, they can get away with being dishonest, and it's worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoid - ignorant AND rude! Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

OOPS CAUTION MY MISTAKE!

This seller is HONEST.. my friend's laptop is crap! The red SSC did not even show on her monitor but is clear as day on mine.. so I withdraw any statement and understand why the seller was annoyed!

I repeat.. MY MISTAKE!

Doug

rawhead wrote:
Similar situation with my Hartblei example.

What I really don't understand is how sellers like this can maintain such a high rating. If I received something that is clearly different from what the listing mentions clearly in the title, then there's no way I'd give a positive feedback.

Maybe it just pays for them to be dishonest all the time, but to make sure to be "nice" (offer full refund etc.), when the buyer makes a fuss. Maybe 80% of the time, they can get away with being dishonest, and it's worth it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only just make out the red SSC on mine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Avoid - ignorant AND rude! Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

OOPS CAUTION MY MISTAKE!

This seller is HONEST.. my friend's laptop is crap! The red SSC did not even show on her monitor but is clear as day on mine.. so I withdraw any statement and understand why the seller was annoyed!

Maybe so, but would it have hurt him or his appearance of professionalism to be polite about the mistake when responding? From what you say, he appears to have been over-sensitive at least.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Cine lens from this guy
http://myworld.ebay.com/imbrokeneed2sellall/

Item did never show up and the seller do not answer messages Crying or Very sad

I opened my first case on ebay today Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Open a new thread to him with tite 'imbrokeneed2sellall ebay seller'

google will pickit up in hours if anybody put into google imbrokeneed2sellall it will be on first page , tell your story there and if showing up well send search link to seller... If seller not fully ignorant cheater it will be perfect help to get your money back fast and help for future buyers to avoid...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Did you see his rating before ? 7 negative and 11 neutral for 1 year - you are very brave ! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the negatives occurred within the last three weeks or so of trading, so this buyer may not have seen them at the time of bidding, and suggests some fairly major and rapid failing on the part of the seller, although it has to be said there were warning signs during the previous six months. These signs would have prevented me from bidding, since the prior negatives were not answered by the seller, though I am a risk-averse buyer on eBay.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

The seller might be in jail - the list of items sold looks like a prototypical list of items stolen in car and house burglaries.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(duplicate deleted)

Last edited by Sevo on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Did you see his rating before ? 7 negative and 11 neutral for 1 year - you are very brave ! Shocked

He got 8 negative feedbacks after I payed November 04 Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Open a new thread to him with tite 'imbrokeneed2sellall ebay seller'

google will pickit up in hours if anybody put into google imbrokeneed2sellall it will be on first page , tell your story there and if showing up well send search link to seller... If seller not fully ignorant cheater it will be perfect help to get your money back fast and help for future buyers to avoid...

Thx Attila, I'll do that

I will give him a couple of more days before I give my first negative feedback on ebay ever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got full refund today from Ebay customer support without further questions. I guess the pattern was very clear already with all those negative feedbacks.

Happy ending, but still a sad story Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes happen not all people are good. Photographer community including crappy sellers still better than most areas of life around me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Avoid EBAY - zharevich01 Reply with quote

http://myworld.ebay.ie/zharevich01

Bought a Nikkor 105mm f2.5. Put the worng address on it. Had to open a PAYPAL dispute before I got a refund. Although, relative hassle free as I did not have to escalate the claim, I would still recommend to avoid this seller.

Slow postal service from Russia. It took a month for the parcel to reach Ireland, but I never got as the address was incomplete.

Also others seems to share the same problem:

Not receive anything.
Member ID tawaan: FishEye Zenitar-M f2.8/16mm M42. NEW (#170558762502) US $187.50

dont believe the free slow shipping you'll never get it. sue him within 45days
Member ID zerozen123
Rolleiflex medium format 6x6 camera Heidosmat f2.8 75mm (#170563479638) US $760.00 View Item

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay user: jiakgong

Don't know how he got 99.4% rating. I paid for a m42->m4/3 adapter back in mid Nov. He immediately notified me that the shipping might be slow due to HK post! But then I bought a bunch of stuffs all from China and HK in early Dec and they all made it to my place by the end of Dec. I asked him again this week and he just continues to blame HK post. I finally have open a case on Paypal to get my money back!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:

Don't know how he got 99.4% rating. I paid for a m42->m4/3 adapter back in mid Nov. He immediately notified me that the shipping might be slow due to HK post! But then I bought a bunch of stuffs all from China and HK in early Dec and they all made it to my place by the end of Dec. I asked him again this week and he just continues to blame HK post. I finally have open a case on Paypal to get my money back!
;

I might not be so quick to pull the trigger. I've bought stuff from HK sellers before, and it usually takes 10 days to 2 weeks to get to where I live. But a few months ago I ordered a macro stage from a popular HK seller on eBay and I waited and I waited, and I waited some more. Finally, after a month had gone by, I contacted them, asking them where my macro stage was. They checked into it and at first stated that it had been shipped on such-and-such date. Then a few days later they sent me another note, saying that, for some unknown reason, it had been returned to them. So they had to re-send it, and this time it arrived about 10 days later. So, if I am to take them at their word, then yes sometimes it is HK Post messing things up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
bogolisk wrote:

;

I might not be so quick to pull the trigger. I've bought stuff from HK sellers before, and it usually takes 10 days to 2 weeks to get to where I live. But a few months ago I ordered a macro stage from a popular HK seller on eBay and I waited and I waited, and I waited some more. Finally, after a month had gone by, I contacted them, asking them where my macro stage was. They checked into it and at first stated that it had been shipped on such-and-such date. Then a few days later they sent me another note, saying that, for some unknown reason, it had been returned to them. So they had to re-send it, and this time it arrived about 10 days later. So, if I am to take them at their word, then yes sometimes it is HK Post messing things up.

Oh it happened to me before too. But it really was that they printed out the sticker from HK post but forgot to physically deliver the item to HK post. When you asked them, they'll say that it was shipped on such and such date, but in reality it was the date the sticker was printed. If I had to guess, I'd say the same happened to you.