Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ebay fraud and ebay on buyer's side
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: ebay fraud and ebay on buyer's side Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/25/ebay-seller-beware-buyer-guarantee-exploited-scammers

no wonder I don't sell there anymore....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographers are usually better people than mass and fixed price helps to keep away lucky hunters, from thousands of sales I had only once negative experience with buyer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stuff I sell on eBay anymore is old film stuff. Scammers are after iPhones and iPads and Galaxy S7s and higher-end photo gear, if at all. So my exposure is minimal. But whenever I manage to sell an item that is worth something, I often hold my breath for a while after I've shipped the item.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly got scammed when selling a camera on Gumtree UK, which is owned by Ebay. The scam was simple, but was interesting that Paypal and Gumtree would not act against the scammer / buyer.
The short version is - a buyer contacted me and accepted the price, £170, that I was asking and agreed to pay via Paypal. He also asked if I could post as soon as I could as he was leaving to go on holiday to Cuba in 6 days time. Included in his email was a copy of what appeared to be his Paypal statement than money had been sent to me - it hadn't, and I didn't post the camera. I received 3 of these emails with supposed Paypal statements. I contacted Paypal and Gumtree and the both agreed that I was being scammed, by being pressured into posting the item before payment was in my account. I just didn't post the camera and the 'buyer' stopped pressuring me.

The annoying thing is, Paypal and to a degree Gumtree did nothing against the scammer, even when I presented evidence of obviously forged Paypal documentation and scamming they said that because I had not actually lost any money or goods no action would be taken. And that person is still active on Gumtree.

In any other industry or service the fraudulent use of 'documentation' would be taken seriously and action would be taken, but in the massive empire of Ebay / Paypal their revenue source is king.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My" ebay policy has always been "approve buyers' credentials before sending off the goods." First step, before send bill or accept payment. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I nearly got scammed when selling a camera on Gumtree UK, which is owned by Ebay. The scam was simple, but was interesting that Paypal and Gumtree would not act against the scammer / buyer.
The short version is - a buyer contacted me and accepted the price, £170, that I was asking and agreed to pay via Paypal. He also asked if I could post as soon as I could as he was leaving to go on holiday to Cuba in 6 days time. Included in his email was a copy of what appeared to be his Paypal statement than money had been sent to me - it hadn't, and I didn't post the camera. I received 3 of these emails with supposed Paypal statements. I contacted Paypal and Gumtree and the both agreed that I was being scammed, by being pressured into posting the item before payment was in my account. I just didn't post the camera and the 'buyer' stopped pressuring me.

The annoying thing is, Paypal and to a degree Gumtree did nothing against the scammer, even when I presented evidence of obviously forged Paypal documentation and scamming they said that because I had not actually lost any money or goods no action would be taken. And that person is still active on Gumtree.

In any other industry or service the fraudulent use of 'documentation' would be taken seriously and action would be taken, but in the massive empire of Ebay / Paypal their revenue source is king.

It isn't just eBay/Paypal. Here in the US, the federal government provides a lot of lip service about cracking down on internet fraud, but they don't appear to be very interested in doing anything about it. I have documented evidence that I turned into the authorities that I'd collected, regarding tactics that fraudsters were using on Craigslist. And this wasn't really unsolicited evidence. The Feds have a website dedicated for just this sort of reporting. Last time I had a look into it over at Craigslist, they're still there, trying to trap the unaware.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common scam is to deter buyers from collection by saying the seller is somewhere remote like an Icelandic fjord or some such. One idiot told me he was going to be in Scotland on the day I suggested meeting. Funny thing was, I was going to be in exactly the same place (Edinburgh) at the same time. He never got back to me. Craigslist is just rubbish, stay away.