Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Easy question: which glue for rubber focus ring?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Easy question: which glue for rubber focus ring? Reply with quote

I just received a Porst 50/1.7, seems not bad (and small). However, rubber ring is unglued from the body. By pressing I'm able to focus, however I would prefer to stop its movement. Any glue suggestion, considering the elasticity of rubber? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with trying to answer questions like this is that the same product can have different brand names in different countries, and very often products from USA or other places can't be sold legally in EU for "health and safety" reasons. Rolling Eyes

What you need is a solvent-based contact adhesive, the kind that kids like sniffing Smile If you can get hold of some, spread a thin coating on both surfaces, rubber and metal, and allow it to become quite dry. When you fit the rubber back on, the glue will bond immediately, usually with no chance of adjusting it. However, there is a version of this adhesive which does allow adjustment if you can find it. Don't coat the whole surface, just two small spots 180° from each other should be fine if the rubber isn't too loose.

Another option, if it will work for you, is double-sided self adhesive tape. You might need to cut a small piece out of the rubber if it's very loose.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done this yesterday with a lens - used "UHU Easy" (in Germany).

You have 15 sec. for adjusting, odor-free, for rubber and metal, solvent-free.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Another option, if it will work for you, is double-sided self adhesive tape.

This is the option I would go with. At the very least as a first try.

For a focusing grip, you really aren't going to be using a lot of force, so you don't need the extreme strength of glue. The tape would also be more easily removable should the need come up in the future, and it has essentially no chance of things going "horribly wrong" (glue running or seeping into the mechanisms, etc). Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option that will allow the rubber ring to be removed later is to use silicone sealer, the stuff you put around a shower base to seal it.
It comes in black as well.

I use it to stick all kinds of stuff that I might want to get apart later.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I have UHU at home, so I could try, but the silicone road could be good also because, by having some thickness, may effectively stop movement.