Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

E.Zuiko Auto Macro 1:3.5 f=38mm (PEN FT lens) on a NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: E.Zuiko Auto Macro 1:3.5 f=38mm (PEN FT lens) on a NEX Reply with quote

E.Zuiko Auto Makro 1:3.5 f=38mm (PEN FT lens)

Concerning performance as well as compact size, one of the best choices of manual lenses on the SONY NEX are the vintage Olympus Pen F/FT lenses. They all were designed in the 1960's, so they coming close to modern lenses in sharpness and contrast. Optical calculations were made according to the (nearly) exact image circle of the NEX, so you won't miss center sharpness like with some "full format" lenses.

Even the "normal" lenses (38/1.8 and 40/1.4) - both very strong performers - gave more close distance imagery (0.35m) than usual SLR standard lenses (0.45m) except the "pancake" (38/2.8 ) which just can be focussed to 0.8m. However the Makro lens, which appeared late in the Pen FT series (probably 1970; in 1972 the whole series was soon discontinued) offers 0,156cm or 1:2 ratio. According to the late start and the "niche" status of a half fram makro lens, this lens is rare and not quite cheap.

Optical design is a bit mysterious, because in most brochures it isn't mentioned and Olympus missed to publish a diagram obviously. It can be argued that it is a classical Planar type like the Rolleiflex lens (5 elements/ 4 groups) which was kind "state of the art" for SLR macro lenses from the 1960's until well into the 1980's. The Makro-Nikkor 50/3.5 is a well reputated example of that group. This assumption is also based on the fact that Olympus launched a (reversed) Loupe lens for the OM series in 1972 with the same focal length, speed and raw data (5 elements/ 4 groups), which diagram shows a nice classical Planar, which Mr. Paul Rudolph would have been very glad to see.

In the next pictures you can see that the "bokeh" is also Planar-like (but not so harsh as some more modern ultra-corrected lenses)
All pic's are made @ f/3.5

(the infamous 42/1.2 - mine is a bit foggy, but usable as a soft focus lens - on the rare PEN FV)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I like the your samples;

I've been hunting for a PEN FT 38/1.8 for some time, but the prices on these lenses are high lately, and they are quite scarce.
(even won a great deal, but the seller proved to be not very honest, he sent the item to a wrong address, and agreed to refund the money without questions)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing the samples from that rare lens.
You have a great web with usefull information , I like it
Best regards

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were nice indeed. But I guess "the secret's out" since some time as those got quite expensive already, even in Japan!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

above wide open
below @ 2.8

f/8

this is a near perfect optically copy, which as you can see is flat out spectacular in performance from 1.2 to f/8--wildly underrated because of its one flaw:

wirery bokeh in some situations---note portraits above are perfectly fine, but you do get this with high detail backgrounds and close shots. Much better than the ZM 35/2 made today, though Smile In fact the Pen 42/1.2, of which about 14,000 were made, is by far the smallest, lightest superspeed for the Nex E mount, and a good copy is probably unbeatable in sharpness at any aperture by any other superspeed. I have 5--none is sharper. None are even close at f/8.

Mine has been temporarily supplanted in the bag by:

which is a very different lens with disguised sharpness, superb bokeh and classical renedering. Perhaps is worth a shot for contrast:

Both the Pen and the Nokton are a joy to shoot with compared to the 50/1.2s and 1.1s. In real life they are far faster. You can shoot much slower shutters and your DOF is huge by comparision. The Nokton has the same DOF as a 50/2. So for practical low light shooting its just incredible.

I've also bought the Pen 25/2.8 and 20/3.5, which have very impressive centers but suffer from pretty severe SA

The 25 has utterly sick centers, and also works fine indoors

The 20 is no slouch

but is unusable for landscape work because of OOF edges (they are not at all soft when you focus on the edges)

I need to experiment with f/8 to f/16 to perhaps mitigate the SA.

Smile

@taunusreiter thank you for your great website and wonderful collection of resources. Too often I find myself there drooling over exotic old glass Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, uhoh7! Maybe I should send my 42/1.2 to a repairman to remove the fogging? It looks like it is in the inner side of the 2nd (front) element... when I do this, I will publish a report of it on my website afterwards. If you look on the market, foggy 42/1.2 are very common (whereas fogging in any other Pen FT lenses seems to be uncommon!). Probably a fault of lubricants from factory (then cleaning should be possible) or non-durable coating of certain elements or degrading glass surfaces (then cleaning should be impossible).

From your highspeed lenses, is the Canon FD 55/1.2AL included in your collection? I was very happy with it on the NEX, but it's MUCH bulgier of course!

Most high speed lenses don't have the best reputation, but more often than not the photograph blames the lens for own faults (focussing errors, too small DOF for subject etc.) High speed lenses need to be excellently corrected to reach high speeds and therefore, excellent sharpness at middle apertures are no fluke.

In case of OLYMPUS PEN lenses, this leads to the general oppinion that the 38/1.8 is the best lens, which from my experience isnt't true. It's a very good lens, but the 40/1.4 is a bit better. The Macro 38/3.5 is better yet, by a big margin.

I found these MTF charts somewhere on the web and think about publishing them on my PEN F/FT pages. Don't know if they measured "Center=Mitte (M)" and Corner=Rand (R)" performance or what. Could be also tangential/ radial resolution. Not the Zeiss/Leica style MTF charts anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:
Thanks, uhoh7! Maybe I should send my 42/1.2 to a repairman to remove the fogging? It looks like it is in the inner side of the 2nd (front) element... when I do this, I will publish a report of it on my website afterwards. If you look on the market, foggy 42/1.2 are very common (whereas fogging in any other Pen FT lenses seems to be uncommon!). Probably a fault of lubricants from factory (then cleaning should be possible) or non-durable coating of certain elements or degrading glass surfaces (then cleaning should be impossible).

From your highspeed lenses, is the Canon FD 55/1.2AL included in your collection? I was very happy with it on the NEX, but it's MUCH bulgier of course!

Most high speed lenses don't have the best reputation, but more often than not the photograph blames the lens for own faults (focussing errors, too small DOF for subject etc.) High speed lenses need to be excellently corrected to reach high speeds and therefore, excellent sharpness at middle apertures are no fluke.

In case of OLYMPUS PEN lenses, this leads to the general oppinion that the 38/1.8 is the best lens, which from my experience isnt't true. It's a very good lens, but the 40/1.4 is a bit better. The Macro 38/3.5 is better yet, by a big margin.

I found these MTF charts somewhere on the web and think about publishing them on my PEN F/FT pages. Don't know if they measured "Center=Mitte (M)" and Corner=Rand (R)" performance or what. Could be also tangential/ radial resolution. Not the Zeiss/Leica style MTF charts anyway.

First, I love to see your info and insight and am always ready to revise my evolving opinions. I did not expect the 42/1.2 to perform like it does--at all. Huge surprise. However this test does predict it somewhat:
http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/pen-lit/camera35-test-pen-lenses-0170.pdf
note that at f/8 the 42 is outperforming the 40.

My great disappointment is with the 25/2.8 which shows as the sharpest of all Pen lenses in this test--not because it's not sharp but the SA is so brutal on the NEX.

check the center vs corner on the full:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6209/6111026363_d965e49c02_o.jpg

Another interesting result in that test is the 60/1.5, which is commonly thought to be behind the 70/2---not here. Smile

Someday I hope to find a 60/1.5 I can afford. I suspect it will be outstanding on the Nex.......OMG what am I saying? No no....it will be terrible everyone----you don't want one Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I've always wanted to ask, how do you focus with that Nex?
Carrying a tripod all the time?
I find it cumbersome working with a manual lens, one hand on the camera, another one on the lens, everything kept at distance to look at the display. What do you do if you handle a zoom? Pulling out a 3rd hand?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Carrying a tripod all the time?
I find it cumbersome working with a manual lens, one hand on the camera, another one on the lens, everything kept at distance to look at the display. What do you do if you handle a zoom? Pulling out a 3rd hand?

There are multiple techniques--I almost never use a tripod--not that it might not help Smile

The lastest nexes have a viewfinder option (5n) or built in (7). This is the best EVF ever made for any camera by all accounts (i don't have one), but is not cheap. People who have them say focusing is easier.

With the LCD my technique: focus peaking on low or off (this highlights edges in the areas in focus but is tricky at fast speeds). Drive mode set to high speed (10 FPS). Point the camera. Focus. Hit the magnification button to check. Fire. Sometime I will adjust focus slightly as I fire.

Do I have out of focus shots? Oh, yes.

But obviously it's not rocket science. Above is CV 35 1.2 wide open.

Do I throw out alot of shots? Yes. Who cares? it's digital Smile

When you have more DOF it gets easier Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: E.Zuiko Auto Macro 1:3.5 f=38mm (PEN FT lens) on a NEX Reply with quote

Thank you taunusreiter for this very informative post and for the nice pictures.

taunusreiter wrote:
the infamous 42/1.2 - mine is a bit foggy, but usable as a soft focus lens - on the rare PEN FV

I have bought a foggy 42/1.2 and the cloudiness turned out to be caused by element separation. I managed to cure the lens by putting it in my oven and heating it to 150°C for one hour. Now most of the blurriness is gone and the lens delivers great pictures!

Here's the link to an old post describing the process.

And here's a link to a few pictures taken with this lens on my Zenfolio gallery. The first 13 pictures were taken when the lens was still suffering from element separation. The subsequent pictures where taken after applying my magical heat treatment. Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

For critical sharpness you need a tripod and/or the 14x loupe sight of the NEX. In bright sun focussing is often next to impossible.
The external viewfinder would be a great help.
With available darkness or reportage work, the screen of the NEX with "peak focus" option is more than sufficient. It's just great. But then you don't really need critical sharpness.

With a very good lens on a NEX (like almost all PEN FT-lenses are) you will discover how small "DOF" really is...

The 60/1.5 is a strong lens, and the best looking one of a PEN-F... Like the 40/1.4 a bit soft wide open, but very strong starting @ f/2.8-4.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some Pen-F lenses for my new NEX too, and it was you, Taunusreiter, who gave me the idea, thank you!

the 1.8/38 at close focus distance, a Sushi-Soya dip, wide open on a NEX5N

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little gems are amazing!!! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: E.Zuiko Auto Macro 1:3.5 f=38mm (PEN FT lens) on a NEX Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Thank you taunusreiter for this very informative post and for the nice pictures.

+1

The 38/1.8 is already a very, very nice lens ; I've got one with some macro rings

#1 (long diistance bokeh)

#2 (close focus)

#5 (quick macro tests)

#7 a very unperfect stitch of 62 shots (lol !)

#8 (no wide angle that day) 100% crop

#9 ...and a beauty on a Pany G1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the 38 looks to have quite good corners as well. I was looking for one after seeing a number go at reasonable prices in the spring, but during the summer they were harder to find.

Then out of the blue a 20/3.5 came up on ebay, near perfect--as I had seen often go for 300ish. I put a bid in my gixen for 215, never thinking I had a chance and won it for 175---nice little case too Smile

The poor Pen FT collectors are beside themselves at the Nex---they already were dealing with strong pricing. There is a nice half frame forum at RFF, as many of you know.

here is the 20:

check out the center on the full size
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6052/6336623098_4e789f2110_o.jpg

this one is interesting, it's at 3.5 and shows the edges are not soft, but simply on a different focal plane--not chrome on pickup bed and follow it to edge on the full
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6105/6301558700_e94cd4536a_o.jpg
note as well the spectacular center--I focused on "4 Wheel Drive" and this shot after sunset Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive pics, from the 38/1.8! Of course the edges are cutted off with a M4/3 camera, but the center performance seems at the level of the SONY NEX... Very hig center resolution, a typical Ultron behavior. Seems that the optical designers deeply studied A.W. Tronnier's patents on that...

Most amazing there is also no color fringing (CA in unsharpness areas) in the pic with the white flower. Very important for a Macro lens!

If you need a 38/1.8, buy a camera with it (PEN FT). They are just sweet cameras.

For the prices initially sold, they got quite expensive. And don't be gutted if the lens you've bought is a bit wobbly (usually just the outer focus ring): they weren't made up to Leitz (or early Pentax) standards! What means, there aren't really bad either!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some pics of the 3.5/20mm I just got shot @f3.5...

quite amazing little lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the deviation, but here is my 3.5/38mm macro lens:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the pictures here done are awesome.and this will be probably good in all aspects.