Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dust on sensor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Dust on sensor Reply with quote

Anyone know how to remove this? Since I started using manual lenses, my photos for the first time have likewise gathered dust. Wink

I thought that's not supposed to happen with 'new' equipment. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a rocket blower to try and dislodge it or wait until there's quite a bit on there and get it cleaned professionally.

My advice is not to poke around in there and don't try and clean it yourself unless you are happy to take a chance in ruining your camera.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Since I started using manual lenses, my photos for the first time have likewise gathered dust

try to use more AF lenses, maybe the sensor will clean himself

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many topics already exist on sensor cleaning on the web? Probably 47 million, and this forum has at least a dozen (that is, unless you're too lazy to search "topic title only"

Can someone close this topic please?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
How many topics already exist on sensor cleaning on the web? Probably 47 million, and this forum has at least a dozen (that is, unless you're too lazy to search "topic title only"

Can someone close this topic please?

I'm sure many topics keep arising here and on other forums. Unfortunately, some/many will not want to search and just want to start their own topic. I know I keep seeing questions posted here that I remember asking when I 1st joined.

Although it may be annoying, it's probably easier to just not read topics that you find repetitive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like saying 1. Everything that has been said on a topic has been said for eternity. 2. It is somewhat derogatory to newbies, which I will admit I am one. 3. This is a common nonsensical complaint on every forum on God's green Earth even back when usenet groups and BBB's were around. Yes I am that old and experienced in these things. 4. If forums closed discussions, they would cease being forums and become something more like boring FAQ's or RTFM's. 5. If this happens here, I will cease being a part of this forum, as will others. 6. A coffin is a better place to bury such static, rotten deadness. Old is old. Dead is boring. Life is sometimes redundant and repetitive. Let people live and share their questions and experiences. That is why this is a forum, not a boring dull FAQ. 7. Finally, please try not to assume all the users are stupid. Many of us do searches. Some people like the interaction, like the many participants on this forum and only come back for that dialogue, camraderie, and exchange.

The best plan is to not answer or read those questions which are not interesting to you. If I were an expert at something, I would not hesitate to answer someone's questions, anyone's questions no matter how many times they were asked of me or from how many different people. Why because I enjoy the interaction, which is why I come to this "forum" and look forward to it everyday. Very Happy

Thank you for answering my question and to the others thanks for your sense of humor. You totally make it worth my coming here!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me chuckling reading newton's last post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dust on sensor Reply with quote

Hi,

newton wrote:
Anyone know how to remove this? Since I started using manual lenses, my photos for the first time have likewise gathered dust. Wink

I thought that's not supposed to happen with 'new' equipment. Wink

I use a rocketblower at first. If it's not enough, then sensor swabs from visibledust.com ...

Be careful when cleaning the sensor, you could damage it ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blower will do the job most of the time, for me at least. Newer DSLRs also have some dust shaking mechanism that operates either when you turn on or turn off the cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Blower will do the job most of the time, for me at least. Newer DSLRs also have some dust shaking mechanism that operates either when you turn on or turn off the cameras.
I used to think the shaker was useless until I used a camera without one.

It isn't perfect, but really does shift a fair bit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius
Re people asking questions again yes sometimes its tedious but having been around the net like the other chap from bulletin boards, etc new blood comes along and can sometimes provide additional info that may never get posted on old posts.
Regarding the subject here is a post from another forum i made, regarding checking a sensor for dust to help with blowing out using a rocketblower

I noticed that i seem to have a few issues with my camera not being as sharp as it should be. So i set about trying to find a way to check the dirt on the cameras sensor and after finding the best way to do it i thought i would share
Here is what you will need
Camera, a close focusing Lens, Computer, Monitor, and Photoshop
1st things 1st
Set the camera to have no image stabilization, remove D-Range optimization, etc
Set the focus mode to Spot
Now clean the monitor make sure it is nice and clean
make sure the lens is clean on the camera as well
Now open photoshop and create a new file and ensure that it is white
Now set the camera to manual focus and focus on the screen (you can have a page open with text just to ensure that you get focus and then move back to photoshop)
Set the camera to the minimum aperture F22 or higher depending on the lens
Now take a picture of white area only on the screen and ensure to move the camera a bit so that whe know that we are not getting images of dirt on the screen
take the picture we have taken and open in photoshop and do the following
CTRL+SHIFT+L or on mac CMD+SHIFT+L
and you will then see the magical world of your sensor here is mine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
This is like saying 1. Everything that has been said on a topic has been said for eternity. 2. It is somewhat derogatory to newbies, which I will admit I am one. 3. This is a common nonsensical complaint on every forum on God's green Earth even back when usenet groups and BBB's were around. Yes I am that old and experienced in these things. 4. If forums closed discussions, they would cease being forums and become something more like boring FAQ's or RTFM's. 5. If this happens here, I will cease being a part of this forum, as will others. 6. A coffin is a better place to bury such static, rotten deadness. Old is old. Dead is boring. Life is sometimes redundant and repetitive. Let people live and share their questions and experiences. That is why this is a forum, not a boring dull FAQ. 7. Finally, please try not to assume all the users are stupid. Many of us do searches. Some people like the interaction, like the many participants on this forum and only come back for that dialogue, camraderie, and exchange.

The best plan is to not answer or read those questions which are not interesting to you. If I were an expert at something, I would not hesitate to answer someone's questions, anyone's questions no matter how many times they were asked of me or from how many different people. Why because I enjoy the interaction, which is why I come to this "forum" and look forward to it everyday. Very Happy

Thank you for answering my question and to the others thanks for your sense of humor. You totally make it worth my coming here!!!!!

Newton, of course, every newbie is allowed to ask questions. But it's a generally accepted rule for boards and newbies to employ the search engine first in order to check if that questions has been discussed already. You're free to join in into an existing thread then.

As much right as a newbie has to ask a question as much that newbie needs to understand that it would lead to nowhere to circle around the same topics forever. The "older" members also want to develop further, so they have other subjects they talk about and invest time in.
Please accept that a topic that all the older ones have been through many times will not get much attention and sometimes a harsh reaction.

[mod.]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
newton wrote:
Since I started using manual lenses, my photos for the first time have likewise gathered dust

What difference does an AF lens make?

There's always a risk of dust getting in when you change lenses, it doesn't matter whether AF or MF. Always keep the open lens mount pointing downwards when changing lenses.

I don't mind repeating myself - why use a rocket blower to blow the dust round inside the camera? I use a small nozzle on the end of the vacuum cleaner hose to suck the dust out of the camera completely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
poilu wrote:
newton wrote:

That was surely a joke, Peter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a member here since the beginning of 2009, and I can't say that I've ever seen a lot of questions posted on the issue of sensor dust. In fact, this is the first one I recall coming across. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, I dunno.

When I get a dust mote on my sensor, usually it's big enough to affect an image, which is how I know something is there. My camera is new enough where it has the routine that shakes the sensor or whatever it does every time the camera is turned off. I think this helps. But when a large enough mote sticks, I just set the camera to "B" to expose the sensor, trip the shutter, and blow the mote off. No big deal. Then I'm back to taking pics again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/dslr-sensor-cleaning-i-spent-the-day-looking-t32829,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/dslr-sensor-cleaning-guide-t23281,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/sensor-gunk-and-cleaning-t15174,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/need-to-clean-the-5d-sensor-t3843,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/sensor-dust-sensor-cleaning-systems-t3330,highlight,%2Bsensor.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/dslr-sensor-cleaning-i-spent-the-day-looking-t32829,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/dslr-sensor-cleaning-guide-t23281,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/sensor-gunk-and-cleaning-t15174,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/need-to-clean-the-5d-sensor-t3843,highlight,%2Bsensor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/sensor-dust-sensor-cleaning-systems-t3330,highlight,%2Bsensor.html

Wilhelm had right , first try too look in search and ask after, we have no good impression about you Newton . Please change your behavior don't ask trivial questions frequently! We welcome all newbies, experts etc , but this is a community where all members have to care to each others and listen to others. You did got warning already and not listen to it or you behavior not changed enough. Please handle well my first and last warning if you want to be participant here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:
poilu wrote:
newton wrote:

I never get poilu's "jokes" (if that's what it was). A smiley would have helped.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I never get poilu's "jokes" (if that's what it was). A smiley would have helped.

+1 Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: dust cleaning Reply with quote

actually i think asking questions even for trivial matters or topics which has already been answered in the past is a healthy exercise.

every week something new comes out in the market. a new gadget to clean the sensor, a new method to clean the sensor, a new method NOT to clean the sensor etc.

reading posts made 6 months or 1 year ago may be obsolete.

new posts even on mundane topics is what makes the internet so useful. new knowledge is stored for future references.

if everyone kept referring to posts made 1 or 5 years ago then no new knowledge is recorded for TODAY.

for example, i read that a method to clean lenses was to mix ammonia and bleach. then another post would say that it was dangerous and toxic, then another post would say that it was ok as long as a certain mixture was followed etc. can you imagine what would happen if no one ever posted the fact that it was toxic to mix ammonia and bleach!

continuous and repeated discussions are what make forums like this so useful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned my sensor last night, and checked it. It was spotless.

So when I checked the pictures I took today and saw this - (Big crop)

I wondered what the hell was going on. I looked at the next picture and it was just as bad. But the spots had moved. Of course, I was using a ND Grad, that must be dirty ? It was spotless. Confused

Then I remembered I was stood in a swarm of flies as I took the picture! Very Happy

I damn nearly got the dishcloth out again. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

+1 Wink

OP was indirectly blaming the sensor dust on the use of manual focus lens, hence the joke about using AF lens.

I was going to start a joke about polishing the sensor to remove the dust, but it's probably too rude Laughing

Back to the topic, rocket blower solves most of my problem. And here's a useful video from lensrental:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/04/how-to-clean-a-camera-sensor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My 40D's sensor had some spots which didn't went off with a blower.
I searched and looked at different cleaning solutions and I tried this one on my 40D.
It worked well.
I read that this product was used in the past to clean 33T vinyl records.

http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html

If it can help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more sensor dust art a la eddieitman Wink

Looks like cleaning is in order in my case as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very good experiences with a product called discofilm!

http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/sensor/sensorcleaning.html

Takes a bit of guts, though..

Jaap Jan