Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dumb to get FD 100mm F4 Macro if I have FD 100 F2 already?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Dumb to get FD 100mm F4 Macro if I have FD 100 F2 already? Reply with quote

Hello!
So I know one is a Macro and one is not but I have read people that say never duplicate a similar focal length of any prime lenses in your camera bag.
So is it silly to buy the Canon FD 100mm Macro if I own an FD 100mm F2.0 already? Maybe an adapter for the F2 will be a better idea or it will not be able to match the dedicated Macro lens?
BTW, I am getting the FD 100mm macro for $60 which sounds really good to me.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the macro. $60 is a good deal for that lens. Macros are flat-field optics that are meant to hold critical sharpness even when stopped way down. Your 100 was not designed to meet such rigorous criteria. So whoever said not to duplicate focal lengths was probably not including macros since these are special purpose lenses. But the advice is basically good. Since you have a 100mm f/2 it wouldn't really make any sense to get a 100mm f/2.8, would it? I'm pretty sure that's the way the advice was meant to be taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more vote to "Get the macro". Adapter with FD 100 will come with loss of infinity focus and I do not think it can give the results of macro if tiny and shiny details are concerned. But if you are into flowers, FD 100 / 2 with its arguably better bokeh, can give nice portraits from distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Macro it is then! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have Both and will never regret.
Both are excellent for what they were intended to achieve...