Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

drizzle hills
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: drizzle hills Reply with quote

I've had this location in mind for a while, waiting for an autumn day with lots of colours but a light rain or mist to successively soften the hills as they recede in the background.

135/4 Sonnar, f/8, tripod mounted

1)

It's an interesting spot, you can see the road I'm on is nice and straight, what may not be apparent is that I'm on a moderate slope looking down. If I go much further downhill the trees block my view, hence stepping way back and using the 135mm.

I made a focusing error, focusing at the hyperfocal distance. But infinity is never going to be sharp because of the rain, I should have focused a bit closer and stopped down farther to better capture the foliage to either side of the road.

I hope to reshoot on a day with similar conditions at f/11 and f/16, paying more attention to the near focus.

Is there anything else I should change about this shot?

Do I need that much of the road in the shot?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the "subject" in this photo, what is the "point of interest", is this an abstract, the colors, it s a classic landscape? I am not ironic or rhetoric, it s a serious question from an "artistic" sense more than a photographic one.

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: drizzle hills Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

Is there anything else I should change about this shot?

You diagnosed it yourself - the focus.
It makes no sense to focus infinity because it's hazed anyway. Much better to focus on the
foreground trees

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Do I need that much of the road in the shot?

Only if you stop down enough to have it in decent focus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
What is the "subject" in this photo, what is the "point of interest", is this an abstract, the colors, it s a classic landscape? I am not ironic or rhetoric, it s a serious question from an "artistic" sense more than a photographic one.

Tomas

It's a totally legit question, the kind of question that led me to post here in the first place. It's probably a bad sign that I had to think so much before I could answer.

It's a landscape, the hills and the trees, but this time of year the colours are an intrinsic part of the landscape.

Just thinking out loud for a sec.

What I want to capture is the crazy colours of the season.

In person the colours are vibrant close up, and progressively hazed as you look down the hill. So one possible image is well-focused, saturated foliage to either side, getting less clear and less saturated as we look into the middle and upwards. In this case the road is unimportant, I could leave a bit in for context, or perhaps it is completely unnecessary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the colours, maybe another location to get something that is all about the colour? Or if you like the lead into the far distance in colour, avoid the rain, go for an early moring shot if the angle works, and crop to something like this...just my thoughts based on what I saw here. Good luck,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Tomas

It's a totally legit question, the kind of question that led me to post here in the first place. It's probably a bad sign that I had to think so much before I could answer.

It's a landscape, the hills and the trees, but this time of year the colours are an intrinsic part of the landscape.

Just thinking out loud for a sec.

What I want to capture is the crazy colours of the season.

In person the colours are vibrant close up, and progressively hazed as you look down the hill. So one possible image is well-focused, saturated foliage to either side, getting less clear and less saturated as we look into the middle and upwards. In this case the road is unimportant, I could leave a bit in for context, or perhaps it is completely unnecessary.

I somehow felt it was about colours, i like to take that kind of pictures myself. For me colors and shape have "expressive power", but that is not shared by many photographers, much more by painters, i think because it s difficult to capture in a photo.
Like with many of my pictures, yours is sitting somewhere in between a landscape and one based only on colour. So i am not the best person for help, but here it goes: it s difficult for the "eye" to focus when the "subject" is on the left and right, what s in the middle is to distant, the road on bottom doesen t help, this is why it doesn t work well as a landscape. Similar with colour, it s only on some parts of the picture, so it also doesen t work as the "subject".
Maybe one solution could be to go either in one of the two directions, a "classic" landscape or a purely colouful picture, something more like a painting.

I can see a nice mix of trees in the distance tht could make a nice picture (you would need a long focal i guess, a tele lens).

Tomas