Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DPReview bites the dust, too
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: DPReview bites the dust, too Reply with quote

Bloody Amazon, again.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5901145460/dpreview-com-to-close

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unexpected.

RIP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Bad news.

Things like this is why I still buy and keep my CDs and don't rely on streaming services. In the world of digital services you never know what they'll decide to shut down next; and they rarely give much notice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are closing the forum too?

edit: " The site will be available in read-only mode for a limited period afterwards."
Unesco should save the forum as cultural heritage site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
They are closing the forum too?

edit: " The site will be available in read-only mode for a limited period afterwards."
Unesco should save the forum as cultural heritage site.

Quote:
What will happen to my content?

You can request a download of all the photos and text you’ve uploaded to the site. This will be available until April 6th, after which we will not be able to complete the request.

I interpret that to mean they indeed intend to close the forum. If the people in charge of this at Amazon have any instinct re. their own future reputation, they should keep the forum archived and accessible, but going by past experience with Amazon they probably won't.

All we can hope is that one of the people actually working at DPReview gets permission to archive the forum and organise for it to be maintained on a community-funded basis. Not sure if the legal agreements part of the DPReview forum allow for that to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: archiving update Reply with quote

Here's a DPReview update from April 7:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0507902613/dpreview-closure-an-update/1

"Dear readers,

We’ve received a lot of questions about what's next for the site. We hear your concerns about losing the content that has been carefully curated over the years, and want to assure you that the content will remain available as an archive.

We’ve also heard that you need more time to access the site, so we’re going to keep publishing some more stories while we work on archiving.

Thank you to this community and the support you’ve shown us over the years.

Scott Everett
General Manager - DPReview.com
"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dpreview.com is unreachable. Perhaps they're just archiving it. But I don't have a lot of hope.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Well, dpreview.com is unreachable. Perhaps they're just archiving it. But I don't have a lot of hope.

Works now for me Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/camera-review-site-dpreview-finds-a-buyer-avoids-shutdown-by-amazon/

Camera review site DPReview finds a buyer, avoids shutdown by Amazon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleae read the new TOS carefully, besides using your photos and posts all through their websites there is this pearl:

"You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content for the Services that you post or upload; that such content is accurate; that use of such content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify us for all claims resulting from such content you supply. More specifically, you are entirely responsible for each individual item of content that you post, email or otherwise make available via the Web Site. You understand that we do not control, and are not responsible for, third party content made available through the Web Site."

IF you post a DYI or instruction in good faith and the person harms itself (or claims to)????

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titrisol70 wrote:
Pleae read the new TOS carefully, besides using your photos and posts all through their websites there is this pearl:

"You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content for the Services that you post or upload; that such content is accurate; that use of such content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify us for all claims resulting from such content you supply. More specifically, you are entirely responsible for each individual item of content that you post, email or otherwise make available via the Web Site. You understand that we do not control, and are not responsible for, third party content made available through the Web Site."

IF you post a DYI or instruction in good faith and the person harms itself (or claims to)????

Often TOS are like that.

Of course there is theory (lawyer's domain) vs practice (both the user's as well as the service prover's domain); most service providers are not quite as unreasonable as the TOS make them out to be, they can't afford to piss off their entire user base too many times.

BUT, that's why it always pays to check for worrying/nefarious precedents / legal cases involving the service provider before signing up to their service, esp. re. the bits in the TOS that might worry you.

E.g. for years I refused to create a verified PayPal account until they (finally) dropped the bit in their TOS about account verification that had been a no-no for me. Upon reading their TOS I anticipated and then found quite a few documented cases where PayPal could and did manage to get a bona-fide user's actual linked verified bank account blocked & frozen based on spurious and incorrectly suspected financial fraud insinuated by nefarious other eBay users. At some point they did drop their "right" to take that action from their TOS.