Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DP 1 vs. E500 + 14-54/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: DP 1 vs. E500 + 14-54/2.8 Reply with quote

Not so serious comparison

First: DP1 (no adjust)

Last edited by yadisl on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then Olympus E500 + 14-54 (resized to the same width with DP1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E 500 + 14-54 (level adjust, boost saturation and sharpened in GIMP)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusted picture is equal with DP1 , without adjusting pretty crap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not so serious, but to me foveon proves itself again! and really, this is how we shoot, right? not at charts, but at scenes! i often miss my sd14, but then i remember what a pain it was to get those foveon images!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
not so serious, but to me foveon proves itself again! and really, this is how we shoot, right? not at charts, but at scenes! i often miss my sd14, but then i remember what a pain it was to get those foveon images!

Yes, Foveon proved that it can compete with a downsized version of an image taken with a smaller sensored camera Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first image shows a degree of barrel distortion higher than the second image.
Since tuning the colours of a digital camera can be done afterwards with no resolution loss (while instead correcting barrel distortion produces a degradation of the IQ), I would choose the camera of the second image.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The first image shows a degree of barrel distortion higher than the second image.
Since tuning the colours of a digital camera can be done afterwards with no resolution loss (while instead correcting barrel distortion produces a degradation of the IQ), I would choose the camera of the second image.

Aww, you're right, Orio. It's pretty much pronounced in that area.
Although as far as I see DP1's picture handles highlights better than the Oly (due to bigger sensor, probably).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:

Yes, somehow I think it doesn't worth the effort - but the foveon look is just so unique and lovely that I do shoot with it again and again. Especially because of the 'pocketability' factor of the DP1.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Adjusted picture is equal with DP1 , without adjusting pretty crap.

Yeah, in fact I can produce the 'processed look' by selecting the vivid tone in the E500.
Way faster than messing with SPP 4.1