Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Don't use acetone on new camera bodies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Don't use acetone on new camera bodies. Reply with quote

I am usually careful and not that this is obvious but I dabbed a tiny bit of acetone on the gold contacts for cleaning on my new camera body and it faded the plastic. Good quality plastic won't do that so easily but on these new DSLR bodies forget it!

The cheap quality of everything today!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't use acetone on new camera bodies. Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I am usually careful and not that this is obvious but I dabbed a tiny bit of acetone on the gold contacts for cleaning on my new camera body and it faded the plastic. Good quality plastic won't do that so easily but on these new DSLR bodies forget it!

The cheap quality of everything today!

Acetone is a strong organic solvent which dissolve most plastics. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very aggressive... I'm working with these kind of chemicals every day with methylene chloride being the most dangerous Wink
you should use multi oil (not WD40) for cleaning electrical contacts or maybe just simple alcohol
I use alcohol every time I get a new lens, clean them from top to bottom without the glass of course Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Don't use acetone on new camera bodies. Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Acetone is a strong organic solvent which dissolve most plastics. Wink

+1 ... You should never use acetone to clean plastics ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the strongest solvent I'll use on a modern plastic camera is alcohol. It will usually handle most cleaning chores, I've found.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isopropanol is pretty good for cleaning in general, don't need to worry about hurting plastic or coating on glass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for camera bodies and lenses (NOT GLASS) ...I use silicon polish sprayed on a cloth first (NOT CAMERA), brings it all up like new. The polish is usually used for car dashboards/interiors etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well for camera bodies and lenses (NOT GLASS) ...I use silicon polish sprayed on a cloth first (NOT CAMERA), brings it all up like new. The polish is usually used for car dashboards/interiors etc.

Doesn't the camera get very slippery then?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Doesn't the camera get very slippery then?

Well I suppose you have a point for large plastic DSLRs, maybe I should have said:- "it's excellent for older film cameras".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
isopropanol is pretty good for cleaning in general, don't need to worry about hurting plastic or coating on glass.

Is the coating on the outside or the inside of the glass?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside, don't even think of trying acetone on glass, it would definitely ruin the coating. Make sure to get the one with lower water content, as the 70% iPrOH solution often leave behind water streak when evaporated. Alternatively, I found Zeiss's lens cleaning solution to be good on glass.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A page about cleanning microscope lens:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag//artfeb04/cdclean.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Optics Company on Cleaning Optics

Caution with lenses older than 1970 or so, some lens coatings are easily damaged by solvents, some even have water-soluble coatings(!). Older lens cements can dissolve in solvents resulting in separated elements. Florite elements are particularly fragile, seek more information before attempting to clean a florite element!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Angeniuex lenses is well known for the soft coating. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Edmund Optics Company on Cleaning Optics

Caution with lenses older than 1970 or so, some lens coatings are easily damaged by solvents, some even have water-soluble coatings(!). Older lens cements can dissolve in solvents resulting in separated elements. Florite elements are particularly fragile, seek more information before attempting to clean a florite element!

thanks for your info.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about to use clear water? Smile

tf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+soap