Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Don't know where to post: medium format Hasselblad vs Mamiya
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Don't know where to post: medium format Hasselblad vs Mamiya Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, I don't know where I could post this.

I don't know much about medium format camera and a friend of mine who is getting into film, wants to buy one and asked my advice.
I can't give him any, and he specifically asked me about the Mamiya RB67 Pro S and the Hasselblad 553ELX or the Hasselblad 500EL, which is a little cheaper than the 553ELX.
From my understanding, the budget is limited (perhaps $300), and should I give him an advice based purely on money, I would tell him to forget about the Hasselblad as the only thing I know about those cameras is they aren't cheap, even used.

But other than that, is the Mamiya a good solution? What is he going to miss if he buys the Mamiya as opposed to the Hasselblad?

His main interest is architecture and portrait.

I really hope some good soul here can point me in the right direction. I'm now searching some readings on the topic to get myself a little educated, but to me, it's a new, whole world and I fear even if I grasp something I might miss a lot about the topic and point him in the wrong direction.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Don't know where to post: medium format Hasselblad vs Ma Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, I don't know where I could post this.

I don't know much about medium format camera and a friend of mine who is getting into film, wants to buy one and asked my advice.
I can't give him any, and he specifically asked me about the Mamiya RB67 Pro S and the Hasselblad 553ELX or the Hasselblad 500EL, which is a little cheaper than the 553ELX.
From my understanding, the budget is limited (perhaps $300), and should I give him an advice based purely on money, I would tell him to forget about the Hasselblad as the only thing I know about those cameras is they aren't cheap, even used.

But other than that, is the Mamiya a good solution? What is he going to miss if he buys the Mamiya as opposed to the Hasselblad?

His main interest is architecture and portrait.

I really hope some good soul here can point me in the right direction. I'm now searching some readings on the topic to get myself a little educated, but to me, it's a new, whole world and I fear even if I grasp something I might miss a lot about the topic and point him in the wrong direction.

Thanks!

Well as you know a film body is just a light tight box separating the lens from the photographer, Bronica and Mamiya lenses are very good but can you see the difference between their lenses and the expensive Zeiss lenses on the blad.
The Mamiya RB67 pro is an excellent mechanical camera and has a revolving back for horizontal and vertical shots, fairly heavy so a tripod is more convenient and pros used it (and may still do) for portraiture (no worries about sync speed using flash) and landscapes.
The only disadvantage I can think of is the top speed of the lens is 1/400 sec (leaf shutter) and you only get 10 shots from a roll of film.
Bronica also made very good SLR medium format cameras 6X6 and 6X7.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Excalibur!

Good to know the Mamiya is a good choice.

Now, forgetting for a moment about the budget, what would make the Hasselblad (either 553ELX or 500 EL) a better choice than the Mamiya?
And in case, would $800-900 be a good price range for the Hasselblad?

Thanks,
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Thank you, Excalibur!

Good to know the Mamiya is a good choice.

Now, forgetting for a moment about the budget, what would make the Hasselblad (either 553ELX or 500 EL) a better choice than the Mamiya?
And in case, would $800-900 be a good price range for the Hasselblad?

Thanks,
Andrew

Sorry cgustav but I've never owned a blad, my thinking is why pay more when something cheaper does the same job (remember unlike digital the body is just a light tight box).....but it is said the blads are better made (but not to say they never go wrong) and the lenses are Zeiss. I can only compare the RB67 to a Rollei SL66 and the RB67 was "cruder" in comparison and IMO the Rollei was over engineered and the shutter speeds stopped working and had to be repaired, but the RB67 just keeps working after 30 years and sold the Rollei.
Incidentally my tele Rollei had to be repaired as well...h'mm so much for precision workmanship Sad