Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

doable: swapping out lens mount plate CV125?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: doable: swapping out lens mount plate CV125? Reply with quote

Is swapping out a lens body from one mounting plate (canon) with a Nikon plate doable? And when I ask "doable" I mean is it "simply" a matter of changing the mounting plates, or is there a lot more to it? (focal plane distances, etc)?

I found a dealer from china who insists that he can do this, to give me a lens that will focus to infinity without any issues at all, and mount onto a Nikon body, whereas the lens originally has a canon mount. Any replies appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a link ...

http://forum.mflenses.com/nikon-d40-modified-to-m42-t20965.html

... which describes the replacement of the Nikon F mount on a D40 with an M42 mount.

Presumably you could do it with a Canon mount athough, IIRC, the Canon mount has a wider throat than Nikon F and this might cause problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm far from being an expert, but i would say that mounting a Canon lens on a Nikon body keeping infinity focus without additional diopters would be almost impossible: the Canon EF register distance for lenses is 44mm, while Nikon has a register distance of 46.5mm. Moreover, the throat of a Canon mount has a diameter of 54mm, where the Nikon one has 44mm only ...

Definitively, i would say that a Nikon lens can be mounted on a Canon body without hassle, while the opposite is almost impossible: even if the barrel of the lens would be shortened of about 2.5mm, you would still have the problem of the diameter of the bottom of the lens ...

But, as said before, i can be wrong ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be a lot more to do than switching plates and I believe the job is downright impossible for the reasons explained by the gentlemen before me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: doable: swapping out lens mount plate CV125? Reply with quote

jf56 wrote:
Is swapping out a lens body from one mounting plate (canon) with a Nikon plate doable? And when I ask "doable" I mean is it "simply" a matter of changing the mounting plates, or is there a lot more to it? (focal plane distances, etc)?

I found a dealer from china who insists that he can do this, to give me a lens that will focus to infinity without any issues at all, and mount onto a Nikon body, whereas the lens originally has a canon mount. Any replies appreciated.

Do you have any more details on the lens?

What you described could be as simple as swapping out the adapter on a T-mount, TX-mount, or Adaptall/Adaptall-2 mount lens. In this case, it would take less than a minute to change the lens mount, provided the dealer had the right Nikon mount to put on it.

If the lens originally came with a fixed Canon mount (FL? FD? EOS?), then the process will require a dedicated conversion - potentially taking hours of time or not even being possible at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: doable: swapping out lens mount plate CV125? Reply with quote

jf56 wrote:

I guess that your lens is the Cosina-Voigtlaender 2.5/125. There's a guy on nikongear.com who converted this lens from Canon to Nikon mount. If you visit the site and carry out a search you might be able to find out more.