Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you take notes or how you remember which lens you used?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Do you take notes or how you remember which lens you used? Reply with quote

Me, I'm to lazy to take notes Wink Here's how I do it. If you have better ideas, I would really appriciate to here them! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea! As usual I shoot only the floor as lens separator and I remember for order.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you take notes or how you remember which lens you use Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Me, I'm to lazy to take notes Wink Here's how I do it. If you have better ideas, I would really appriciate to here them! Smile

Good idea. From time to time I forget to change the "manul lens" information on my D200. I end up with something totally wrong in the exif!

At least the D200 lets me manually enter information about the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rely on the D200's non-cpu lens data, although for preset lenses I have to try and remember the aperture!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you take notes or how you remember which lens you use Reply with quote

Arlon wrote:

Really, that sounds wonderful! Smile

I don't think it could be possible with the EOS 350D though, haven't seen it in the menus anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you take notes or how you remember which lens you use Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Arlon wrote:

Really, that sounds wonderful! Smile

I don't think it could be possible with the EOS 350D though, haven't seen it in the menus anyway.

I'm drooling. On my Sonys I can't enter any info about the mf lenses that I'm using. The only way to get that data into the Exif is to use a chipped adapter (or edit the Exif data on the computer, which requires extra software and seems to be a hazzle).
On Pentax cameras it is possible to enter the focal length manually on the camera, for whatever lens and adapter you use. That's something that I'd like as well.

/Erik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Nikon D50 you can make comment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use my venerable little notepad, and always try to have a T-shirt or any shirt on with a chest pocket. I find that this can be done extremely quickly, and it is sort of becoming a part of my "workflow". I don't ALWAYS get it written down, but most of the time I have the data that includes lens, shutter speed, and f:stop. If I am taking several images at different f:stops or shutter speeds, then I just record after those several images are done.

Sometimes it's hard to beat an "analog" pencil and paper. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Larry this is the best , but too simple for cumputer guys like me LOL. I wrote a software for handheld computers to doing same + log GPS positions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, Larry this is the best , but too simple for cumputer guys like me LOL. I wrote a software for handheld computers to doing same + log GPS positions

Wow...I have always wonder when our camera can do that. You know, one that allows users to input a small database of MF lens in the menu.

Attila, have you ever try to publish (sell/shareware) that software? Any screen shots, demo available? What OS is it for?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, currently I am doing to add film cameras as well. I would finish soon as I can and publish here for beta testing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tip the camera towards the sky and shoot one to mark the break between lenses and make a note somewhere of the lenses I used. Only digital; I wouldn't waste film doing this, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more than enough usually mark lens change, readonly button also available to mark wide open pictures for example.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Not yet, currently I am doing to add film cameras as well. I would finish soon as I can and publish here for beta testing.

I will test it on my phone when it's ready, just tell me Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, need windows mobile powered device with built in GPS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I normally do, is to shoot a picture of the lens that I am going to mount directly before mounting it.
So I have a picture of the lens before the pictures I shot with it...

But I keep forgetting the aperture setting often.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I look forward to betatesting the application on my Windows Mobile-based Imate. However, I have no GPS.
Will it be possible to enter a list of lenses into the application? Then, while shooting, you could just tick of which of your lenses you used.

/Erik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, possible. I have to solve logging without gps..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to upgrade my phone last week to a shiny T-Mobile MDA Compact IV (HTC Diamond) so if you want another tester...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Many thanks guys! I wold like to see much device variety what we can provide.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with the old school when shooting B+W. Only with a twist. I put a piece of 2.5 inch wide blue masking tape across the back of my camera. This way I can take the notes there on the body with a little black sharpey pen attached to the camera strap. When the roll is finished I attach the tape to it and know how I planned to develop it based on my exposure notes. Later the tape is attached to the negative sleeve that holds the now developed roll. With digital I have no current system as I guess I don't think it matters. I just keep track of the lens I was using and let the camera tell me the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping track has always been an issue for me Embarassed

I'll probably try Larry's method and maybe even try to develope a work flow Confused . . . Confused . . . (Does this require a flow chart?) Laughing
And as Larry said. . .
Laurence wrote:
. . .Sometimes it's hard to beat an "analog" pencil and paper. Cool

Especially when the weather gets wet - pencils don't run or short out.

Next week might be the time to see if I can keep better records . . .

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have a great time Jim. Vacation time can really inspire us to try things we have always wanted to do. This is out of context for this thread but what the heck. Have fun and discover Cool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make and keep notes about specific shoots.
First info would be lighting and special details about the shoot I only mention the lens if it played some special part.
As I test and only use the lens I know well I don't feel I need to make a note about them, such notes would only be made when I first buy and test them.
I also have loads of notes (A book) on darkroom work and all PP inc work that may have been done for me in past
I have notes going back to the 1970's and I still find it interesting to have a look through them.
There honestly is too much to remember, unless your the sort that sticks to a style/routine to make things easy.