Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you loctite (thread locker) your screws?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Do you loctite (thread locker) your screws? Reply with quote

Hi all,
hen you put all back toghether, do you use loctite to secure screws in place?
I have some thread lockers (soft, medium and strong) for my rc stuff, so thinking....

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. Most screws inside a camera or a lens are so small that they would be easily damaged if locktited when removed in the future, even if the non-permanent Loctite were used.

If you feel it necessary to secure a screw beyond just ordinary tightness, get yourself a small can of shellac, and then with a toothpick, drip a small drop of it onto the screw/surface that it's being fastened to. That'll hold it just fine and if it ever needs to come apart again, you should be able to get it apart without destroying the screw.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of bayonet holding part on nikkors i repaired were threadlocked, it least it looks like that. When screw was removed some white residue was left inside. Others screws were covered by laquer or something, mostly red one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need to glue any lens, I never see ever glue on any of my old lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what it was? from previous CLA?
I will make some photos, ok?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, perhaps from cla'd yes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you ever need glue to screws for camera or lens. If you need
one, use pine resin that is always there when you disassemble camera or
lens around the screws you unscrewed.

I assembled many lenses or few cameras, I have never lost a screw.
Only when you dis-assemble some, you loose a screw or two by
careless handling. It happened a lot. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lacquer or whatever you're seeing is just that -- lacquer or shellac or maybe just plain paint. It's not a threadlocking compound. I don't think it's even used to make sure the screws don't come loose. I think it's used so a factory tech can tell if somebody else has been inside the lens or camera so that they can void it for warranty repairs if they have to service it during the warranty period and if they see the paint or lacquer is missing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, don't use loctite near a lens!. When it cures, It leaves (or can leave) a haze or some sort or condensation that it is impossible to clean. I have ruined a lens this way. Better use elmer glue or something like that if you feel you have to.

Javier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use nail polish on the screw head when I need to fix the screws additional more.
On the Canon FD lenses I converted to EF mount some iris assembly screws are glued on the screw head border.