Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you keep all your raws, and how many copies?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Do you keep all your raws, and how many copies? Reply with quote

Just curious how everyone store and backups their photo files.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I keep everything I shoot. SD-cards filled with travel-pics are my 1st backup. I also have all my SD-cards on my PC's harddrive, and on a regular basis, I make a backup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to now I keep all. Still no storage problem. Backup sync on Google Drive (max. 2 TB) to avoid total data loss in case of fire.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep 2TB and 1TB drives on my system, and don't produce pictures in the
hundreds every time I use my camera, so it's been easy for me to keep all RAW copies so far.
Older available drives cleaned out after primary use as obsolete, take up
any slack in the interim.
This dates back to my use several years ago using a Canon PowerShot S3iS,
having used CHDK to allow me to save RAW files from it.

"Cloud" storage is never definite nor permanent, subject to the whims of whatever
force(s) are providing the storage, be it operating costs, takeovers,
storage limitation changes, bankruptcy, sellout, etc...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to d/l my memory cards' contents -- raw files -- to one of my computer's drive partitions as a way of "storing" the media. Now, I still do this but since SD cards have gotten so cheap, I just leave the data on the card and buy more cards. I can buy 32 gig SD HC cards now for less than $10 so I figure this is just a cheap sort of backup that's relatively secure.