Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do someone know Tamron 70-150 f2.8 soft ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Do someone know Tamron 70-150 f2.8 soft ? Reply with quote

Do one of you know this lens ?

http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/51A.html

Last edited by Nelson on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz have it and published here already. If I remember as well he gave me samples to mflenses.com/gallery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did not watch the gallery, just took a look at the review...

Let's go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Do someone know Tamron 70-150 f2.8 soft ? Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
Do one of you know this lens ?

One of my best lenses. Very good as a fast telephoto zoom, it doubles as a variable soft focus lens. The soft focus effect is entirely variable from 0 (no soft focus - very sharp) to 3 (very soft). As I have already posted soft pictures in the Gallery, here are two samples taken at f/5.6, with the soft focus ring set on 1 or 2:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you other soft focus lenses (apart of Canon 135 EF Soft Focus)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Fujinon 85mm f4 I didn't like at all.It was a crappy lens compare with this Tamron.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
Do you other soft focus lenses (apart of Canon 135 EF Soft Focus)

Apart from the Fujinon 85/4 stated by Attila -- which is strictly a portrait lens, for use in the studio only with controlled lighting -- there are a few lenses for small format cameras. Minolta has the best lenses (like the famous Minolta STF, although it's not a soft focus lens stricto sensu), Canon, Nikon and Pentax also have some references, but they are all very pricey, as most are now out of production and there are many people collecting soft focus lenses, especially in Japan.

There are some cheap alternatives like the Sima and Portragon lenses, which are adaptable to almost any camera, as they come in T-mount. I have bought a Portragon 100/4 lens for about $25 and I don't feel it's worth the price. It's a single element lens (like an office magnifier) mounted in a focusing tube without any diaphragm to control the aperture. The results are worse than a 1st generation Lensbaby, without the fun of the tilts.

Here are some samples (not mine) taken with these lenses:
http://www.pbase.com/dang/port

If you are interested in this kind of results, it is certainly more fun to make your own soft lens with an office magnifier. You could make a very nice soft focus lens with a positive meniscus salvaged from an old inoperative box camera (or any other kind of cheap Kodak camera: Instamatic, Vest-Pocket, old folders). The Vest-Pocket meniscus objective is particularly sought after for its imaging qualities:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/sets/72157601602439258/

Cheers!

Abbazz