Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY wooden palm grip for NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: DIY wooden palm grip for NEX-3 Reply with quote

Well, ever since the bought the nex-3 i really love this camera but i had only one gripe...... the grip is too insufficient . I have scoured the internet for addon grips but to no avail ,seemed like nobody has made any grips for the nex-3,i have seen people glue leather onto the camera body but i didnt want to do such gluing . So during my search i found some Chinese people have made a wooden grips (xitek forum)for nex-5 ,i also saw a guy make a grip for his nex-7( probably the same guy in xitek forum,now he sells commercially ),so i myself thought of doing the same ,bear in mind i am NOT a woodworker ,and i have some crude tools only, i did get a little help from a carpenter Laughing ,but mostly it is made by me ,the grip is not at all complete ,just couldnt resist showing off Laughing ,i hope the photos will be self expanatory Razz

On the camera

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20138/big_6342_gripnex3wood_4_1.jpg]
[/url]

In the hand

Well all i can say it fits in my hand really well and is better to hold when using heavier lenses. bear in mind this is not the final look of the item ,i have still gotta to paint it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great work! love it. congrats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
great work! love it. congrats

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite ingenious, your grip certainly has, allow me to say, a very strong 'Indian-ness" to it Cool
one can see that the wood and material used are typical as one can find in India and not the standardized items one would get in a home center in 'the west', and so was the work invested, slowly, patiently, with good idea and strong determination Very Happy
end product looks very useful indeed and has a lot of character!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
quite ingenious, your grip certainly has, allow me to say, a very strong 'Indian-ness" to it Cool
one can see that the wood and material used are typical as one can find in India and not the standardized items one would get in a home center in 'the west', and so was the work invested, slowly, patiently, with good idea and strong determination Very Happy
end product looks very useful indeed and has a lot of character!

Well thank u Laughing , but this is not the end product still have to paint it black,this is Indian " JUGAD "technology( hack job) Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing But i gotta say with a heavier lens this feels good!!!Actually i talked to atleast two carpenters but no one would do this "menial Job,so i did it myself ,cost me less than 1 dollar!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, maybe I got carried away Wink
it sure reminds me of all the gadgetry a friend of mine in Delhi is manufacturing, I consider him as artist Very Happy
really nice work Raay!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, there's a good idea! And you know what? When you're holding it, it even looks more like a camera!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best grip for using vintage lenses. you should start making more and sell on eBay. I'd be your first customer Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzzyhmd wrote:
best grip for using vintage lenses. you should start making more and sell on eBay. I'd be your first customer Smile

LOL for getting that level of production i will need to get a carpenter to work!!!!! Anyway Thanks evryone for the encouragement
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I will try one myself. Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea and I appreciate (since I'm a part time woodworker too, even if I do completely different things like the lamps in my site here http://www.telltale.it/category/design/ ) the detail of the small wood piece that goes just below the camera mount metal ring, well done!

If you ever plan to do any more of those you can also consider no to just black paint them but maybe using a transparent wood-finish product to show its veins Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Nice idea and I appreciate (since I'm a part time woodworker too, even if I do completely different things like the lamps in my site here http://www.telltale.it/category/design/ ) the detail of the small wood piece that goes just below the camera mount metal ring, well done!

If you ever plan to do any more of those you can also consider no to just black paint them but maybe using a transparent wood-finish product to show its veins Wink

yes brown wood finish would be real good,may be i will contact a carpenter for Version 2 ,may be a small piece of teak wood be just fine to show the Veins!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
Rick1779 wrote:

yes brown wood finish would be real good,may be i will contact a carpenter for Version 2 ,may be a small piece of teak wood be just fine to show the Veins!!!!!!!

I suggest you some Indian Rosewood, it's beautiful Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
raay04 wrote:
Rick1779 wrote:

I suggest you some Indian Rosewood, it's beautiful Wink

Yeah its a beautiful wood and quite costly ,we have few furniture made out of this wood ,its beautiful after polishing!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know it's quite costly, I have 3 blocks of it awaiting to be ultimated to become new lamps, but maybe since you need relatively small pieces you can use some spare scraps that can go very cheapy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painting finished ,as of now the grip is ready

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Well done! Wink

Thanks Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent effort Raay! It looks quite good. Maybe you can start a new product line and start selling online!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Excellent effort Raay! It looks quite good. Maybe you can start a new product line and start selling online!

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the tripod socket? Wink

Maybe on the Mark II. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Where's the tripod socket? Wink

Maybe on the Mark II. Smile

I will put a tripod socket in a few days !! will put a picture after that ,dont worry Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing